Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recently Watched Horror


Recommended Posts

Lucio Fulci's "The New York Ripper"  (1982) is a sleazy and extremely violent thriller about a psycho killer terrorizing New York City.  I prefer his more fantasy oriented horror film . Fulci wants to out do both Brian DePalma and William Friedkin.  There is an emphasis on kinky sex and the murders are photographed like rape scenes.  Fulci can create suspense but here he seems only interested in shocks.  The  plot makes no sense and the final killer reveal seems to come out of left field- the movie ends in a heart breaking final image . If you are into gore and sleazy there is a really good print on Tubi TV.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jaragon said:

Lucio Fulci's "The New York Ripper"  (1982) is a sleazy and extremely violent thriller about a psycho killer terrorizing New York City.  I prefer his more fantasy oriented horror film . . . .

Although I'm not a Fulci fan (because I'm not a "gorehound"), a few of his movies are in my movie library, primarily some of his gialli and a couple of his westerns:

Le Colt Cantarono la Morte e Fu... Tempo di Massacro (AKA Massacre Time)

Gatto nero (AKA The Black Cat)

I Quattro dell'Apocalisse (AKA Four of the Apocalypse)

Il Miele del Diavolo (AKA The Devil's Honey)

Murderock - Uccide a Passo di Danza  (AKA Murder Rock)

Non Si  Sevizia un Paperino (AKA Don't Torture a Duckling)

Una Lucertola con la Pelle di Donna (AKA Lizard in a Woman's Skin, AKA Schizoid)

Una Sull'altra (AKA One on Top of the Other, AKA Perversion Story )

Before I delved deeper into Fulci's oeuvre, I had written him off as a crummy hack -- waaaayyy down on the list of Italian horror filmmakers and definitely not in the same league with Mario Bava, Riccardo Freda, or even Antonio Margheriti. But after viewing the flicks on my list, I have softened my attitude about Lucio Fulci. He was a better filmmaker than I initially thought that he was. That Fulci descended into bloody splatter and grue to become "The Godfather of Gore" (his legacy), to me, was unfortunate and a shame.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Although I'm not a Fulci fan (because I'm not a "gorehound"), a few of his movies are in my movie library, primarily some of his gialli and a couple of his westerns:

Le Colt Cantarono la Morte e Fu... Tempo di Massacro (AKA Massacre Time)

Gatto nero (AKA The Black Cat)

I Quattro dell'Apocalisse (AKA Four of the Apocalypse)

Il Miele del Diavolo (AKA The Devil's Honey)

Murderock - Uccide a Passo di Danza  (AKA Murder Rock)

Non Si  Sevizia un Paperino (AKA Don't Torture a Duckling)

Una Lucertola con la Pelle di Donna (AKA Lizard in a Woman's Skin, AKA Schizoid)

Una Sull'altra (AKA One on Top of the Other, AKA Perversion Story )

Before I delved deeper into Fulci's oeuvre, I had written him off as a crummy hack -- waaaayyy down on the list of Italian horror filmmakers and definitely not in the same league with Mario Bava, Riccardo Freda, or even Antonio Margheriti. But after viewing the flicks on my list, I have softened my attitude about Lucio Fulci. He was a better filmmaker than I initially thought that he was. That Fulci descended into bloody splatter and grue to become "The Godfather of Gore" (his legacy), to me, was unfortunate and a shame.

Like  I said I like Fulci's horror films like " House by the Cemetery" but this one was really disturbing in it's anti women violence- the murders were staged like rapes- and there is a really bizarre rape by foot scene which is there just to shock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Curse of the Black Widow" (1977)  Anthony Franciosa  stars as  private detective named Mark Higbie is on the trail of a murderer whose mutilated and predominantly male victims are found encased in silken cocoons.  An effective made for TV horror with Patty Duke, Donna Mills, June Lockhart  and June Allyson.  Directed by Dan Curtis.  You can see it on Amazon Prime

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jaragon said:

"Curse of the Black Widow" (1977)  Anthony Franciosa  stars as  private detective named Mark Higbie is on the trail of a murderer whose mutilated and predominantly male victims are found encased in silken cocoons.  An effective made for TV horror with Patty Duke, Donna Mills, June Lockhart  and June Allyson.  Directed by Dan Curtis.  You can see it on Amazon Prime

Whatta coinkydink! I watched Curse of the Black Widow just a couple of weeks ago.

TV movies from Dan Curtis Productions are always worth a look, IMO. This chiller had a Kolchak: The Night Stalker vibe, with Anthony Franciosa's P.I. substituting for Darren McGavin's intrepid newspaper reporter-monster hunter.

Yes, it's formulaic.

Yes, it's predictable.

Yes, it's a cookie-cutter, by-the-numbers, assembly line production.

Yes, it's all been done before by Curtis, BUT . . .

It's also and above all, entirely entertaining and a whole lotta fun!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Whatta coinkydink! I watched Curse of the Black Widow just a couple of weeks ago.

TV movies from Dan Curtis Productions are always worth a look, IMO. This chiller had a Kolchak: The Night Stalker vibe, with Anthony Franciosa's P.I. substituting for Darren McGavin's intrepid newspaper reporter-monster hunter.

Yes, it's formulaic.

Yes, it's predictable.

Yes, it's a cookie-cutter, by-the-numbers, assembly line production.

Yes, it's all been done before by Curtis, BUT . . .

It's also and above all, entirely entertaining and a whole lotta fun!

I agree with all your points- yes did you see "The Norliss Tapes" ? That tv movie is very similar in style and tone and has one really terrifying scene. " Curse of the Black Widow" also is a hommage to the original cat people in which a woman's sexual desires unleashes a monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaragon said:

I agree with all your points- yes did you see "The Norliss Tapes" ? That tv movie is very similar in style and tone and has one really terrifying scene. " Curse of the Black Widow" also is a hommage to the original cat people in which a woman's sexual desires unleashes a monster.

Yeah, I saw The Norliss Tapes -- another DCP gem!

The seventies was a wonderful decade for TV horror. Besides The Norliss Tapes, there was also A Cold Night's Death, Gargoyles, Salem's Lot, Spectre (produced by Gene Roddenberry), and, of course, Curtis' Trilogy of Terror, among many other small-screen screamers. I recently caught up with Satan's Triangle on Amazon Prime -- delightfully eerie!

Ever seen Scream, Pretty Peggy? For some odd reason, I deliberately skipped it during its initial broadcast. It's going to be released on Blu-ray Disc next month. Directed by Gordon Hessler and co-scripted by Jimmy Sangster, which gives it, IMO, an impressive pedigree.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Prey" (2021) 

is more suspense thriller than horror. A  brobonding  camping trip goes wrong when a group of men are stalked by a hunter.  The first hour has a lot of tension but once the hunter is revealed the film looses steam.  You can see this German made mash up of "Deliverance" and "The Most Dangerous Game" on Netflix

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...