Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recently Watched Horror

LawrenceA

57 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Just want to let every one know that participates in this thread that I've enjoyed reading your posts and always read through them all, even if I wasn't posting as much here as I used to. Hope every one has many good horror movies in their future!

Right back atcha', LawrenceA!

Ever hang out at the Classic Horror Film Board?

I was a member until the nudnik board owner banned me (I don't know how I've lasted so long on the TCM Message Boards).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Just want to let every one know that participates in this thread that I've enjoyed reading your posts and always read through them all, even if I wasn't posting as much here as I used to. Hope every one has many good horror movies in their future!

👻☠️👹👽🤖🤡👾👺

Ditto, Lawrence! And here's hoping that I run into you and the other denizens of this genre forum on some other message board in the near future!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw this on Twitter and thought some of you may be interested:

I've seen about 20% of the movies on that diagram.

Anyone 'round here seen A Serbian Film? I remember when it was covered in Video Watchdog magazine, which didn't inspire me to watch it. I read the write-up on Wikipedia, and for sure have no desire to watch it.

Missing category, IMO: J-Horror

1 hour ago, Eucalyptus P. Millstone said:

I've seen about 20% of the movies on that diagram.

Anyone 'round here seen A Serbian Film? I remember when it was covered in Video Watchdog magazine, which didn't inspire me to watch it. I read the write-up on Wikipedia, and for sure have no desire to watch it.

Missing category, IMO: J-Horror

I finally got around to A Serbian Film in the past few weeks. I did a short write-up in the Foreign Language films thread in the Your Favorites section.

I only see a couple on the above chart that I haven't seen: The House on Pine Street, and At the Devil's Door.

The graphic I posted above is different from the one I saw on Twitter earlier today. The one above was found on Google after I couldn't relocate the original I'd seen. The original had slightly fewer categories, and many of the example films were different. I did a little more digging and found it:

Ffxd2BRX0AA2qqR?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 4:52 PM, LawrenceA said:

I finally got around to A Serbian Film in the past few weeks. I did a short write-up in the Foreign Language films thread in the Your Favorites section.

I checked out your review. I'll heed your warning, and skip A Serbian Film. I don't watch movies that, IMO, are endurance tests.

You seem to watch a lot of foreign films. Ever check out MUBI? It currently is presenting a horror film festival, Flick or Treat: Halloween Horror, which offers an international selection of movies macabre. Last night I watched Demons, an Italian chiller produced by Dario Argento and directed by Lamberto Bava. I'm not a fan of gore, but the intensity and dynamism (musically amped by a heavy metal-punk rock soundtrack) that fueled the nightmarish fever dream-plot, for me, more than compensated for the grisly grue. Added attraction: Italian horror film "icon" Nicoletta Elmi -- then a stunning  21-year-old beauty -- is among the cast.

fC9KbSqI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0 Nicoletta01.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eucalyptus P. Millstone said:

I checked out your review. I'll heed your warning, and skip A Serbian Film. I don't watch movies that, IMO, are endurance tests.

You seem to watch a lot of foreign films. Ever check out MUBI? It currently is presenting a horror film festival, Flick or Treat: Halloween Horror, which offers an international selection of movies macabre. Last night I watched Demons, an Italian chiller produced by Dario Argento and directed by Lamberto Bava. I'm not a fan of gore, but the intensity and dynamism (musically amped by a heavy metal-punk rock soundtrack) that fueled the nightmarish fever dream-plot, for me, more than compensated for the grisly grue. Added attraction: Italian horror film "icon" Nicoletta Elmi -- then a stunning  21-year-old beauty -- is among the cast. 

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with Demons, and the sequel. I have them both on Blu. I actually managed to see Demons in the theater when it was released, which is strange since I live in a small, southern town and that's not the sort of movie we generally got here in those days. I think at the time it was a 2-screen theater, the only one in town, but it was privately owned and managed, so he'd occasionally get something out of left field. 

It's still the only theater here, but it's a 6-screen now, and part of the Regal chain. I think I've been there maybe twice in the past 4 years.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:24 PM, jaragon said:

"American Horror Story: NYC 1981"  in this latest season of the horror anthology- Russell Tovey plays a detective hunting a serial killer targeting gay men- yes its a loose remake of "Crusing"

I liked the first two episodes, the period details especially.  I plan on watching it through.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I liked the first two episodes, the period details especially.  I plan on watching it through.

Lets hope they don't mess it up because this series has tendency to derail itself- I'm curious to see how they are going to tie up the three plot lines.

• Like 1

Devil_film_poster.jpg

Devil (2010). Directed by John Erick Dowdle. With Chris Messina, Logan-Marshall Green, Bojana Novakovic. 

Five people are trapped in an elevator and one of them is the Devil. It turns out that all of them has a dark past, so the Devil dispatches them one by one. The movie sways from Horror to Ten Little Indians  unsuccessfully.  Whenever there's some action in the elevator, the lights go out and we see nothing. That may work in a Murder Mystery, but not in a Horror movie, not in this one at least.  And I never believed in the idea of the Devil being  Judge and Executioner, the Avenging Angel that murders people for their sins.  

It didn't work for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Hellhole" (2022) a police officer investigating mysterious disappearances infiltrates a remote monastery and discovers a dark truth . This Polish made film is very atmospheric- avoid the trailer that gives too much away. You can see it on Netflix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw The Menu, and enjoyed it.

I found it to be a refreshing and satisfying alternative dish -- a welcome substitution to the, for me, witless Teens in Peril crud and routine franchise retreads that Hollywood churns out. It benefited from a good cast headed by Ralph Fiennes, who I always thought could have played Bela Lugosi in a biopic. He is elegantly sinister as "Chef," who hosts dinner parties for an elite clientele that includes fawning fanboy and foodie Tyler (Nicholas Hoult) and his willful date Margot (Anya Taylor-Joy); on-the-skids action star George Diaz (John Leguizamo); and Lillian Bloom (Janet McTeer), a formidable food critic. Assisting as maitre d': bat-eared Elsa (Hong Chau, who simmeringly matches Fiennes in exuding an unnerving, malevolent authority). The suspenseful plot is pleasingly spiced with sardonic black comedy served on the side as displayed menu descriptions.

A, for me, tiresome de rigueur "final girl" cliché prevents The Menu from being four star. Nonetheless for horror film fans peckish for tasty thrills and chills, The Menu offers, IMO, a savory repast and Fiennes . . . fine dining.

e63b1f8cfaa2a0fa28d86bf56e077e6a_original.jpg?t=1668376828

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, Eucalyptus P. Millstone said:

I saw The Menu, and enjoyed it.

I found it to be a refreshing and satisfying alternative dish -- a welcome substitution to the, for me, witless Teens in Peril crud and routine franchise retreads that Hollywood churns out. It benefited from a good cast headed by Ralph Fiennes, who I always thought could have played Bela Lugosi in a biopic. He is elegantly sinister as "Chef," who hosts dinner parties for an elite clientele that includes fawning fanboy and foodie Tyler (Nicholas Hoult) and his willful date Margot (Anya Taylor-Joy); on-the-skids action star George Diaz (John Leguizamo); and Lillian Bloom (Janet McTeer), a formidable food critic. Assisting as maitre d': bat-eared Elsa (Hong Chau, who simmeringly matches Fiennes in exuding an unnerving, malevolent authority). The suspenseful plot is pleasingly spiced with sardonic black comedy served on the side as displayed menu descriptions.

A, for me, tiresome de rigueur "final girl" cliché prevents The Menu from being four star. Nonetheless for horror film fans peckish for tasty thrills and chills, The Menu offers, IMO, a savory repast and Fiennes . . . fine dining.

e63b1f8cfaa2a0fa28d86bf56e077e6a_original.jpg?t=1668376828

I liked it too but I think it needed a final twist

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings