Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Edmonds

What is this movie ??

In the early 1960's I saw a movie on the afternoon "Million Dollar Movie" that I've never seen again. It must have been made in the 1940's or 50's. It was about a group of royalty going on an outing on a yacht. There was a terrible storm, the yacht crashed onto a deserted island. At first the royalty took control and gave orders but they had no idea how to actually do anything like make shelter or find food. Finally the butler became the savior of the castaways due to his resourcefulness and intellect. The butler and the princess fell in love and after much apprehension on the butler's part he allows himself to cast off the social mores and ask the princess to marry him. Just as the wedding is about to begin the castaways see a ship steaming toward their little island. The butler immediately resumes his subservient role and nothing more is said about his romance as he becomes the family butler once more. This film might have been made in England. Does anyone remember this film, its title, or actors??? Thanks, Dan

The story you describe has been filmed two or three times. Titles used include Paradise Lagoon and Male And Female. The origional source is a stage play, The Admirable

Crichton, by J.M. Barrie (The "Peter Pan" guy). It was filmed under that title in 1957.

Trace down those titles, and you'll most likely find the movie you saw before.

Good luck.

cmvgor

The story you describe has been filmed two or three times. Titles used include Paradise Lagoon and Male And Female. The origional source is a stage play, The Admirable

Crichton, by J.M. Barrie (The "Peter Pan" guy). It was filmed under that title in 1957.

Though nervous that audiences might mis-read the original title as "Admiral Crighton," and think it a naval story, Adolph Zukor was aghast that C.B. DeMille would change Barrie's title for his 1919 film, and terrified that Barrie would be so offended that he'd refuse to sell Famous Players-Lasky- Paramount the rights to any more of his plays.

When Barrie learned what DeMille had done, he sent a cable to the director, saying that he wished he'd thought of Male and Female as a title, as he liked it better than his own, since it more succinctly captured the point of the play's story: the breakdown and reversal of long-enshrined social class distinctions when hidebound "civilized" people are confronted with the need to merely survive in primitive conditions.

Greetings, Dan and CSjr;

Having the subject of "Crighton" come up woke up a dormant memory, and now I'm trying to

remember a title. I saw scraps of this movie two or three years ago on one of the premium

channels, but I don't think I ever watched the whole thing. It treated a similar theme. I believe it

was on a Mediterranean island, An aristocratic woman and a common seaman were shipwrecked

together; In addition to class difference there was social tension because the sailor was a Marxist

with attitude. This was a foreign film (Italian? Greek?), and I think it was captioned as to dialogue.

I never ran across this movie at a time when I was free to settle down and pay attention to it. I do

think that a romance blossomed, and that, as with poor Crighton, the arrival of rescue brought

reverses.

If anyone can dredge up this title, and post it here, I would appreciate it.