Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about TCM's tribute to those we lost in 2007

tangcameo

I was watching TCM one morning this month and they were running their annual tribute to the actors, filmmakers, musicians and everyone else who passed away this year. I turned my head for a second and when I looked back I caught a glimpse of the "shop window" scene from "A Chrismas Story" (You'll shoot your eye out!). Did one of the kids in that movie die? It looked like the clip was centered around the one kid with the leather hat (the one who froze his tongue to the flagpole). I haven't seen it since and there's nothing on IMDB. Anyone have a list?

Clark didn't "pass on"; he and his teenage son, Ariel, were killed by an unlicensed, drunk driver who crossed over the center divider on Pacific Coast highway in Malibu in April, and slammed into their car head-on.

Clark was a really sweet man, with an interesting r?sum? of films to his credit (ranging from the undeservedly notorious PORKY's, to the undrerrated Sherlock Holmes film MURDER BY DECREE, to what most consider his masterpiece, A CHRISTMAS STORY. Everyone who came into contact with Clark liked him very much, and he is missed.

Benjamin "Bob" Clark (August 5, 1939 ? April 4, 2007) was an American actor, director, screenwriter and producer best known for directing and writing the script with Jean Shepherd to the 1983 holiday film A Christmas Story. His earliest success was the 1982 hit film Porky's and he also wrote and directed its sequel Porky's II: The Next Day.

Though best known for his involvement with these familiar titles, Clark's career actually began squarely in the horror genre, in the early 1970s. His first film of this ilk, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1972), was a blend of comedy and graphic horror.

Clark and his son, Ariel Hanrath-Clark, 22, were killed in a head-on automobile collision on the Pacific Coast Highway in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles on the morning of April 4, 2007. The crash occurred when an SUV crossed the median and struck Clark's Infiniti I30, causing the closure of the highway for eight hours. Police determined that the SUV's driver, Hector Velazquez-Nava, had a blood alcohol level of three times the legal limit and was driving without a license.

He initially pleaded not guilty to two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter,[11] but changed his plea to no contest in August. On October 12, 2007, Velasquez-Nava was sentenced to six years in prison under the terms of a plea agreement.

In addition, he may face deportation to his native Mexico, as he entered and was living in the United States illegally.

Promises

I promise you will get old

I promised you everything

To protect you wherever you go

I'll give you this diamond ring

Just promise you will remember

A promise should last forever

Right up to the dying embers

Of a fire that burns so slow

It's a different day everyday

Don't want you to walk alone

But how long we carry on

When all of these things have gone

Just promise you will remember

That promises last forever

Still after the last dying embers

Of a fire that burns so slowly

It's a beautiful thing to do

Sometimes you just have to walk away

Remember I do love you

Have courage in what you say

And promise you will remember

That promises last forever

Still after the dying embers

The fire that burns so slowly

And sometimes you just have to walk away

Sometimes you just have to walk away

Wishing today was yesterday

Yeah, sometimes you just have to walk away

Is the tune by Badly Drawn Boys? If you want to know the truth, although it was a wonderful tribute to all the ones who passed away this year, it actually depressed the heck out of me. I can not get it out of mind. The falling leaves, the pictures of the people in their youth, and the song. My gosh, it really must have touched me. I am still blue after viewing it this morning! Help me get over it!

The album, Born in the UK can be found at Amazon. It is about 13 bucks and change plus shipping.

As another poster said I too love the song with the visuals and become blue after seeing it, but I am so glad to the person that put this tribute together. The song is very haunting. I lost my Dad 6 months ago and when I hear the song Promises it reminds me of him.

I'm so glad someone had the same question as I. I love Badly Drawn Boy (artistic name used by one man). Not all his music is depressing, as a matter of fact, it usually isn't, which is why I was so suprised it was him (although it's so well done, that wasn't suprising). He did the entire soundtrack for the British film "About A Boy", which is also excellent.

Born in the U.K.

Badly Drawn Boy (Artist)

"Born In The U.K." sounds like a return to the more basic ballad style that was the structural strengths of "Hour Of Bewilderbeast" and "About A Boy" without sounding at all like a retread of anything he's done before. It's fitting that an album that involves reflecting on the past would bring Badly Drawn Boy back to his strengths.

Some of the highlights to this album are:

Nothing's Gonna Change Your Mind; simple and epic all at once, the plaintive lyrics swirl gradually into hope and joy as the melody builds effortlessly into a final release. Also, straight from Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run song structure, the title song-Born In The U.K., is full of energy and vibrancy. The nostalgia of past and pride of the present- it shows the power of memory. Some of the other strong songs are Without A Kiss, The Long Way Round, Promises, and Degrees of Separation.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings