Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this the face that launched a thousand ships?

rainingviolets21

I just finished watching TROY for the first time, and was very interested in which actress would

play Helen---When she first came on the screen --I found her [DIANE KRUGER] to be very pretty

but no prettier than all the young girls one sees every day--Yet, if this film had been made in the 1940's, they could have chosen HEDY LAMARR, or AVA GARDNER or GENE TIERNEY and been rewarded by the fact that these ladies' faces really could have launched a thousand ships.

My question is were girls more beautifull back then or was it lighting, make-up or camera angles

or perhaps the quality of the Technicolor film that made them seem so?

There's a more natural make-up look these days. Max Factor really poured it on back then. But today's actresses (for the most part) seem to be cut from a cookie-cutter mold. Pound for pound...face for face the women back in the 1930's & 1940s were much more spectacularly beautiful than they are today. Hedy, Gene, Ava, Rita etc. can attest to that. Who today would quicken your pulse??? Besides, be honest...Brad Pitt was the face to launch a thousand ships in "Troy" wouldn't you say?

Dear CineMaven, I agree with you about Brad Pitt--gorgeous man! what I meant were those

close-ups of the beauties of the 1940's --for instance-

Loretta Young in Ramona

Ava Gardner in Show Boat

Hedy Lamarr in Algeirs

Rita Hayworth in Gilda

Gene Tierney in Ghost and Mrs. Muir

If these ladies were young actresses, today, would they be considered as beautiful as we regard them? If, as you say, the make-up is different and ,I think the quality of the film is much clearer.

"...If these ladies were young actresses, today, would they be considered as beautiful as we regard them?"

The Gibson Girl, the look of the vamps and the Pickfords & Gishes were beautiful in their time and their beauty didn't transfer over to succeeding decades. But RV, in my humble opinion...I think that those actresses you named were they young today, would still be considered beautiful. How could they not? Their beauty is for the ages.

To a large segment of the world's moviegoing public, the most beautiful actress of all is India's Aishwarya Rai. A former Miss World, she entered the Bollywood movie industry in 1997 and within two years was the top female star. It's a position she still occupies - not just because of her beauty but also her considerable talent. Aishwarya's wedding was the top Indian news story this past year. And she created quite a stir a few seasons back as a juror at Cannes.The actress has made some inroads into the Hollywood scene (BRIDE AND PREJUDICE, PROVOKED). And her next American production has her playing opposite Steve Martin in PINK PANTHER 2. The reason I mention her is because when TROY was in the planning stages, she was purportedly offered the role of Helen. Talk about a perfect fit. This is a face that definitely could have launched any number of ships. Apparently the original script included a nude love scene (with Orlando Bloom) and Aishwarya decided against it. Too bad if this was her only objection - because (as seen onscreen) the final sequence was quite decorous. I have nothing against Diane Kruger - a solid actress and a definite looker. And I love TROY. But I'd have loved it more with Aishwarya.

If you've got the patience to plough through the url below, you'll be rewarded with a particularly lovely portrait of India's Golden Girl.

http://media.santabanta.com/gallery/indian%20%20celebrities(f)/aishwarya%20rai/aishwarya%20rai9h.jpg

Well the below url works and she is quite spectacular-looking. To work with Steve Martin in "PP2" isn't the greatest of "take me seriously" career moves (imho). And those other two forays...not so much either. I hope there is a serious director out there who will put Rai in a great part. (And it probably won't be an American director I'm afraid to say).

I saw her interviewed on Sixty Minutes and I think the interviewer was subtly ga-ga. Imagine those eyes looking back at you. Hummina...hummina.

I know who RAI is having seen her on the OPRAH show-=she is the actress Roger Ebert named

The Most Beautiful Girl on the Planet and she is excuisite -she is a throwback to the beauties of the forties, and looks like a cross between Gene Tierney and Simone Simon-- a real Goddess ---------I still don't understand why she didn't play Helen Of Troy, she would have been perfect--I saw the movie and didn't see any nude scene--I hope she never goes to Hollywood--she will be hounded by the papparazzi--and they will tell her she looks too fat , and all the rotten things they do to the stars of today--~

:

:

RV, are you familiar with MONICA BELLUCCI??? She doesn't look absolutely perfect...but she is the most $!@#$X!! perfectly sensual woman who ever wore human skin.

Eeeew...I know. That might sound creepy. But what I'm trying to say is that Bellucci almost caused a riot at Cannes with her beauty. A direct descendant of Sophia Loren school of traffic-stopping, jaw-dropping beauty. Now she has a face (and body) to lauch a thousand ships. She is unbelievably incredible looking. In fact...with Bellucci's looks, no one would get on a ship to leave. (Say, did those ships leave or go to bring Helen back? Sorry I don't know my mythology like I used to).

CM --yes I am very familiar with the beautiful Miss Belluci she would have made a wonderful Helen

Helen of Troy was supposed to be SO beautiful, Venus herself awarded her to Paris, who wanted

the most beautiful woman alive, that proved to be Helen. They should have done some kind of a

search--Do you remember a movie called "How to Murder your Wife"? whoever the actress was that came out of the cake would have made a perfect Helen, although by now she would have been too old.~

:

Virna Lisi

(b September 8, 1937) is a Cannes and C?sar awards-winning Italian film actress!

Lisi began her film career in her teens, in 1953. Cast more for her stunning looks than her talent, her early films included La Donna del Giorno (1956), Eva (1962), and the Italian-made spectacle Romolo e Remo (1961).

The pert and sexy star also made a decorative dent in Hollywood comedy as a tempting blue-eyed blonde starring opposite Jack Lemmon in How to Murder Your Wife (1965), and appearing with Tony Curtis in Not with My Wife, You Don't! (1966). Confined to glamour roles, she returned to Europe within a few years, but fared little better in such mediocre movies as Arabella (1967). In Europe she starred in films such as La Ragazza e il Generale, co-starring with Rod Steiger, and two films with Anthony Quinn, The Secret of Santa Vittoria, directed by Stanley Kramer, and the war drama The 25th Hour.

And the extreme close-up scene of Miss Lisi's face when she first comes out of the cake is a wonder to behold--This is the kind of beauty the part of Helen demanded --my contention is the producers of Troy should have considered beauties like Monica Belluci or India's Miss Rai

or even someone like Smallville's Kristin Kreuk.

:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings