Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ronald Colman: The man with the velvet voice

A man with an eloquent, rich, and mellifluous voice; who fought with the British Army in World War I, and gave some of his most renowned performances to Hollywood in his 33 year span as the man, legend, and actor -- Ronald Colman.

Photobucket

One of my very favorite actors--a man of such good breeding and stupendous talent, Mr. Colman

personified and defined the word gentleman. Every performance he gave was superb, reaching his

pinacle as the actor Anthony John in A Double Life--which gave him his Oscar. He was also

brilliant in comedy, with a great, comedic performance in a little known film called "Champagne

For Caesar' He was one of a kind--He reminded me of the poem about Richard Corey.

:

I love Ronald Colman---like rainingviolets said, a rare example in Hollywood of a gentleman. I just received a dvd-r of *Cynara* from a collector. I've been looking forward to seeing this rare movie ever since I read about it in a biography of Colman. Love his voice.

Yes! The had gorgeous voices. I would put Richard Burton's ahead of those two but that's just me.

I'm so glad you mentioned him, April! I had just seen one of Richard Burton's films last week and his voice was very alluring. Though I must say I do love Ronald's a tad bit more ;)

Thanks for posting the photo from THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, MissG. As you might know, I've been looking for good pictures of Ronald Colman for some months, and I didn't have that one yet. It's a nice, large clear one - just want I needed!

Thanks very much for posting it!

As for the topic...well, I adore Ronald Colman. I've seen pretty much all of his films that are still in existence...and without a doubt, even if a film is not so good, Ronald Colman's charm makes it worth watching.

His voice is certainly beautiful...but for me it's his charm as well.

Hi guys! :)

And thanks for the additional photos, MrsCooper. I'm really looking for big ones (that are also clear, crisp photos) so that I can do a desktop for him...but those are still really nice. One can never have enough Ronald Colman photos on one's hard drive! I collect photos of my favorite stars as I never know when I'll want to do an avatar or desktop.

I just found this forum and I'm very very glad to see that Colman is getting the appretiation he deserves. I can't say that I'm a know-it-all on the this particular actor but from the limited movies I've seen with him, he's great. HOWEVER, I was sadly troubled when certain parties were naming a few other actors with mentionable voices ( Ronald's is amazing) and no one brought up George Sanders. He probably has the greatest british voice known to man. I love all his detective series (the Falcon, the Saint, etc.). They may be corny but he's too good to miss. Tom Conway though not quite able to fill his place is also admirable.

no one brought up George Sanders. He probably has the greatest british voice known to man. I love all his detective series (the Falcon, the Saint, etc.). They may be corny but he's too good to miss. Tom Conway though not quite able to fill his place is also admirable.

Hi, and welcome Schnickelfritz! If I didn't mention Georgie it was an oversight, because I completely agree with you about him. He's a GREAT favorite of mine, both in terms of his nonchalant acidity and his improbable talent. I say "improbable" because he truly did disdain the business of acting. Well, he disdained himself to rank among the greatest.

I also love his "Saint" entries and hope to see them on dvd eventually.

I did not know that about George Sanders, MissG. Can you please elaborate on his dislike of acting? I really like him in every film he's in that I've seen...but I don't know zip about him personally.

Hi PKGirl! Believe it or not, he is alot like several of his characters, and was in many ways, a thorough rogue and unmitigated cad. But, he had a talent to amuse when the mood struck him and he managed to make Benita Colman happy, though he was as different from her first husband Ronald as the moon is from the sun. He had no difficulty telling anyone, most often his friend Brian Aherne, what a fearful waste of time and energy he thought the whole business of acting was and that he was in it purely for the money. I suggest you get Aherne's book on his friend, titled quite fittingly, A Dreadful Man. Definitely one of Hollywood's more unique characters.

1453.jpg

Thank you, everyone! I love Ronald Colman and hope to see more of his films on TCM. I taped a few of the early talkies way back when AMC showed them- Raffles, the Bulldog Drummond movies, and The Devil to Pay. I have been waiting for years to get a different cable system so I could watch TCM. Finally, a few months ago, our street got wired and I watch TCM every day (my housework is suffering!).

My favorites are (of course) Prisoner of Zenda, Tale of Two Cities, and Random Harvest. It's embarrassing, really....you'll find me in a little soggy heap on the floor after watching RH.

I would be interested in seeing Colman's silent version of Stella Dallas and also The Winning of Barbara Worth, however, I don't know if I could stand not hearing that beautiful voice!

I am so happy that people mentioned George Sanders. I love him. I think he was rather a sad case. I wanted to take a name here on TCM that would show my appreciation for him. A charming, incredibly witty man, who felt that he hadn't done anything in his life that mattered. In my book, though, he is tops!