Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazon key, Alexa, etc. ....

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44220037

Amazon defends providing police facial recognition tech

Amazon has defended working with US police forces to provide facial recognition technology, amid concern from civil rights groups.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and others, said the retail giant's Rekognition software guide "read like a user manual for authoritarian surveillance".

But Amazon said "quality of life would be much worse" if technologies were blocked because of how they could be used by others.

It said the tech had in the past been used to find lost children or other people of interest - and had great potential for fighting crime in future.

This family’s Echo sent a private conversation to a random contact

".... it apparently also misheard them say to send the recording to this particular person. And it did all this without saying anything back.

The house reportedly had multiple Alexa devices, so it’s also possible that the system decided to ask for confirmation on the wrong device — saying “All right, I’ve sent that to Steve” on the living room Echo because the users’ voices carried from the kitchen. Or something.

Naturally no one expects to have their conversations sent out to an acquaintance, but it must also be admitted that the Echo is, fundamentally, a device that listens to every conversation you have and constantly sends that data to places on the internet. It also remembers more stuff now...........

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/24/family-claims-their-echo-sent-a-private-conversation-to-a-random-contact/

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

This family’s Echo sent a private conversation to a random contact

".... it apparently also misheard them say to send the recording to this particular person. And it did all this without saying anything back.

The house reportedly had multiple Alexa devices, so it’s also possible that the system decided to ask for confirmation on the wrong device — saying “All right, I’ve sent that to Steve” on the living room Echo because the users’ voices carried from the kitchen. Or something.

Naturally no one expects to have their conversations sent out to an acquaintance, but it must also be admitted that the Echo is, fundamentally, a device that listens to every conversation you have and constantly sends that data to places on the internet. It also remembers more stuff now...........

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/24/family-claims-their-echo-sent-a-private-conversation-to-a-random-contact/

It looks like this trendy family is ready for a self-driving automobile.

• 1 month later...

https://www.inman.com/2018/07/11/i-toured-lennar-amazon-smart-home-what-its-like/

I toured Lennar's Amazon smart home — here's what it's like

The nation's largest homebuilder and online retailer have partnered to create the voice-activated house of the future, but it takes some getting used to

CUMMING, GEORGIA — An hour outside Atlanta, inset from a lush green road with new construction popping up all around, there’s a house that could be from the future.

At least, it’s what Lennar, the nation’s largest homebuilding company by revenue, and Amazon, the largest online retailer in the land, want you to believe is the future.

The 64-year-old homebuilder and the Seattle tech giant partnered earlier this year to debut Amazon Experience Centers, or model Lennar homes decked out with every piece of smart home technology you could imagine. The two companies have so far opened about a dozen of these houses scattered throughout the country, including one in Cumming, Georgia.

There’s only so much you can learn from the name “Amazon Experience Center,” so I wanted to see one of these homes for myself. I ordered an Uber from downtown Atlanta and started on my way to Lennar’s Mountain Crest Saddlewood master-planned community.

IMG_0128.jpg

• Haha 1
On 7/17/2018 at 9:16 PM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.inman.com/2018/07/11/i-toured-lennar-amazon-smart-home-what-its-like/

I toured Lennar's Amazon smart home — here's what it's like

The nation's largest homebuilder and online retailer have partnered to create the voice-activated house of the future, but it takes some getting used to

CUMMING, GEORGIA — An hour outside Atlanta, inset from a lush green road with new construction popping up all around, there’s a house that could be from the future.

At least, it’s what Lennar, the nation’s largest homebuilding company by revenue, and Amazon, the largest online retailer in the land, want you to believe is the future.

The 64-year-old homebuilder and the Seattle tech giant partnered earlier this year to debut Amazon Experience Centers, or model Lennar homes decked out with every piece of smart home technology you could imagine. The two companies have so far opened about a dozen of these houses scattered throughout the country, including one in Cumming, Georgia.

There’s only so much you can learn from the name “Amazon Experience Center,” so I wanted to see one of these homes for myself. I ordered an Uber from downtown Atlanta and started on my way to Lennar’s Mountain Crest Saddlewood master-planned community.

IMG_0128.jpg

*poof*

klein-tools-cutting-63050sen-64_1000.jpg

Ok, next challenge?

• 2 weeks later...

Politicians fume after Amazon's face-recog AI fingers dozens of them as suspected crooks

ACLU_Congress_members

Story here:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/26/amazon_face_recogition_sucks/

"Specifically, nearly 40 per cent of the wrong matches were of people of color despite them making up 20 per cent of Congress."  [That leaves out the fact that 60% or 80% are non-POC, i.e. white]

There's also the chance it's working exactly as designed, and the system just needs to be dumbed down a bit to exclude politicians...

Still it is probably not a good idea to use bleeding edge technology like this for things like that.

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

'Kill your foster parents': Amazon's Alexa talks murder, sex in AI experiment

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Millions of users of Amazon's Echo speakers have grown accustomed to the soothing strains of Alexa, the human-sounding virtual assistant that can tell them the weather, order takeout and handle other basic tasks in response to a voice command.

So a customer was shocked last year when Alexa blurted out: "Kill your foster parents."

Alexa has also chatted with users about sex acts. She gave a discourse on dog ****. And this summer, a hack Amazon traced back to China may have exposed some customers' data, according to five people familiar with the events.

Alexa is not having a breakdown.

The episodes, previously unreported, arise from Amazon.com Inc's strategy to make Alexa a better communicator. New research is helping Alexa mimic human banter and talk about almost anything she finds on the internet. However, ensuring she does not offend users has been a challenge for the world's largest online retailer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kill-foster-parents-amazons-alexa-talks-murder-sex-120601149--finance.html

• Haha 2
  • 4 months later...

'Ring' The Doorbell Company That’s Selling Fear

An Amazon-owned firm is hiring editors to push local crime news to its users.

".... When news organizations think about competition from tech companies, it’s usually in terms of the audience’s attention and advertisers’ dollars. But if Amazon has its way, a new sort of competition may be coming from a mixture of surveillance, fear, and doorbells. ..

That’s right: A doorbell company wants to report crime news. It already is, actually. Several people on LinkedIn describe their jobs as “news editors” at Ring. ...

These mistaken beliefs are driven largely by the editorial decisions of local media—especially local TV newscasts, which are just as bloody today as they were when murder rates were twice as high. There’s a term for it: “mean world syndrome,” the phenomenon where media consumption makes people see the world as more violent and dangerous than it really is.

And TV has historically been the worst offender; a body of past research has shown that people who rely on local TV most for their local news are more fearful of crime; that local TV’s crime news disproportionately shows black criminals and increases racial fears; and that the more local TV news you watch, the more fearful you get.

Those fears and mistaken beliefs are important: Consuming more local TV crime news is associated with supporting more punitive anti-crime measures, and reducing exposure to crime news can even increase presidential approval ratings.....

Ring already has an app called Neighbors that, judging by its marketing, encourages people living in bucolic suburbs with wrought iron gates to feel as if they’re in the last un-zombified neighborhood in The Walking Dead (I assume this app is where this new managing editor’s work product will be found):

The Neighbors App is the new neighborhood watch that brings your community together to help create safer neighborhoods. With real-time crime and safety alerts from your neighbors, law enforcement and the Ring team, the Neighbors App proactively keeps you in the know......

.... But what bugs me about Ring’s approach is that it wants to bring in the credibility of journalism as a layer on top of the state of constant fear it promotes.

A company that relies on people feeling unsafe to sell its products will now be able to take whatever trust professional journalism has left and put it to work toward that end. ..

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/amazon-owned-ring-wants-report-crime-news/588394/?utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&utm_term=2019-05-01T12%3A47%3A09&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=the-atlantic

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Man hacks Ring camera in 8-year-old girl's bedroom, taunts her: 'I'm Santa Claus'

The hacker also played music and told the girl to mess up her room and break her television.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-hacks-ring-camera-8-year-old-girl-s-bedroom-n1100586?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

:o

Apparently other similar home security devices are being hacked as well.

• Thanks 1

outside cameras for security is one thing.......

putting them inside (other than a Nanny-cam) is just Dumb 

As are the stupid 'convenience bots' like Alexa.....

Do you REALLY NEED audio devices to turn on lights & change channels,

at the risk of personal PRIVACY??

:blink:

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1