Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Contribute to TCM Database

scsu1975

Hi all:

I am astounded at the knowledge of the posters on these forums. Please consider contributing to the TCM database. It's easy and fun. I've been doing it for a few weeks (using film encyclopedias for the most part, I must admit), although I did know a few things myself. TCM will acknowledge your contribution with an e-mail, check it, then e-mail you if they are posting it, with a link to your post. Every little bit helps .. a birthday, an award, a role made famous by an actor, an important event in the life of a performer, etc. There are also some errors in the database, which I'm sure many of you can correct. If you have any technical issues doing it, we can discuss them here. Give it a shot. :)

Rich

they don't get posted.... of course SOME have but about half don't....

The most annoying one is splitting John Gilbert's films... half listed under JOHN and half listed under JACK for no reason whatsoever. So it looks like John Gilbert made only 45 films (or whatever the number is) even though it's obviously ONE person... Who would look under JACK?

To me this is like splitting all the films Cagney and Stewart made between JAMES and JIMMY....

Web:

One way is to click on DB Home, at the upper left, or go to the homepage at http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp

Then enter a name or movie title in the search box. Try an actor at random, and when the seach results come up, click on the name. You will be taken to that person's listing, and at the bottom of the listing will be an clickable icon that says "Contribute or report an error with this record." As an example, try entering the name Linda Arvidson, and you will see what I contributed.

drednm:

I know what you mean about multiple listings .. it does get confusing. But of all the submissions I've made thus far, only one hasn't been posted (the first one), and oddly, I did get a confirmation that it WAS being posted. So I assume that was a glitch. Maybe the process has been improved since you tried.

When I type in an actor's name, it shows a list of their films on the left of the screen starting with their last ones, but when I click on "see more," it doesn't work. It says "error on page" on bottom left of my gray bar. I want them to add the film Immortal Battalion (1944), with David Niven, to the database. But since they don't have it i can't "add" to it. I'm trying to see if it's missing from the Niven complete filmography list or if they have it by a different title, but I can't see that.

I have tried to submit biographical information for Allison Hayes for two years, and when I finish I get an error message....too many characters or something like that. I try making the information shorter, still no go. There are some features on this site that just don't work.

I have had to change my screen name twice, because for some reason or another, the site stops recognizing the name and password that worked perfectly for a long time.

Also I quit going to the Trivia page on the Forum since it's been taken over by the annoying Metz or whatever his name is....terrible that ONE person can contaminate a whole board with his junk.

Holly:

I haven't had any of those problems yet, although for some reason my "edit" feature in the forum was not working for awhile tonight! Maybe someone else who has had those problems will chime in.

Message was edited by: scsu1975

Maybe you should post the name/password issue under the "Technical Issues" forum and see what kind of responses you get. I've been a member a little longer than you, but I haven't experienced those problems yet.

I've only recently started contributing to the database (last few weeks or so), so perhaps whatever glitches you encountered with that may have been ironed out now.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings