Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The origin of a famous movie cliche

skimpole

One movie cliche that I was aware of growing up was a couple running towards each, in slow motion, across a field into each other's arms. I know the cliche occured before 1980, because I remember seeing it being parodied at that time. But can anyone remember a movie where the scene is actually for real?

Howz about Ashley and Melanie in Gone With the Wind (1939), when she sees him on the road, approaching the house after the War?

Also, at the very end of The Big Parade (1925), where Ren?e Ador?e John Gilbert are in an open field and run toward each other?

Oddly enough, one film that now suffers for that clich? is LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. During the extreme high-angle long shot that David Lean employs of Lawrence and Doud on their camels emerging from the Nefud Desert after the rescue of Gassim from "God's anvil," the sight of them being met by Faraj on camelback strikes audiences as funny precisely because it evokes those god-awful slow-motion love-on-the-beach moments.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings