Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

was "Patch of Blue" actress an unhappy suicide?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they know about the private life of Elizabeth Hartmann. This (Patch of Blue) movie to me was deeply moving, and more so because I heard somewhere, it seems, that this actress was a very unhappy person and died young. Not that I hope this was true just for the sake of my own melancholic enjoyment of this movie. She just seemed truly emotionally vulnerable in the trailer they showed afterward. I guess I am just intrigued. She seemed like an unusual, special, very vulnerable person. Julie Harris has this same quality, really just giving 120% emotionally in every performance. I'm really affected by these type of people who seem to feel things so deeply.

Mike

Minnow, it seems so. I copied this from IMDB, coz I was curious as well:

This slender, striking, red-haired, freckle-faced American leading lady, a Carnegie-Tech graduate in the 60s, made a stunning, sensitive film debut as the blind, abused, uneducated girl who falls unexpectedly in love with Sidney Poitier in Patch of Blue, A (1965). That glorious performance earned Elizabeth an Oscar nomination and Golden Globe award and a ticket to stardom. She went on to display amazing versatility in other films as well - as an upperclass collegiate in Group, The (1966), a capricious, hurtful young flirt in You're a Big Boy Now (1966), and a decidedly offbeat performance as a nurse who tends to Clint Eastwood in the Gothic-styled Beguiled, The (1971). She also gave a deeply-felt stage performance in a production of "Our Town" in 1969. But soon things went terribly wrong for this obviously fragile young lady. Plagued by acute depression and insecurity as she saw her career fall by the wasteside within a decade, she turned into a virtual recluse. Her last work was voice work in Secret of NIMH, The (1982). Nothing had been heard of her for years until June 10, 1987, when she threw herself out of a fifth-floor apartment window. Divorced for three years at the time of her death, it was learned that she had been an outpatient at a psychiatric hospital in Pittsburgh and had called her doctor earlier that fateful day informing him that she was despondent. A sad, sad end to a bright, bright talent.

The real story is even worse than what I had heard.

I can imagine what the "Our Town" performance must have been like.

By the way, I am almost certain I saw her in the movie Billy Jack, also, but I was busy at the computer and not really watching the movie. If that was the case, it seems 1971 was a turning point. The last good year. This is a very sad story. Thank you Stlgal.

Elizabeth Hartmann was not in Billy Jack (at least not credited), but she did resemble Delores Taylor, who played Jean. I also thought she looked a lot like Sandy Dennis. They all had the fair-complexion and soft-spoken, almost child-like quality...