Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

X The Unknown

dsclassic

• 2 months later...

This is a great movie, Id recommend this to anyone, very under appreciated movie. Sort of like a Quatermass movie, a cool blob movie which was better than the original Blob with Steve McQueen at least to me ..very atmospheric British chiller

This is a fun movie, much better than "The Blob." I'd probably compare it to Universal's "The Monolith Monster" in that both are about an utterly alien creature.

Part of the fun is seeing a young Leo McKern (best known for Rumpole of the Bailey) as a government official "assigned to the case" to keep a watch on the scientists.

• 2 weeks later...

X the Unknown (1956) is a British sci-fi film from 1956 starring Dean Jagger, among others.

It features a radioactive blob-like creature which attacks a small village in the Scottish highlands.

As other posters on this thread have indicated, it's pretty good, and definitely worth a look should the opportunity arise.

To me its the best Blob like movie. Its similar to the Quatermass series in terms of atmosphere.

It is easily a must have for fans of British horror. This goes to show that you dont need a Cushing or a Lee to make a good British movie.

This is better than both Blob movies, The Flame Barrier

I think Caltiki is the only other Blob movie that gives this one a run for the money

I also liked the comparison to MONOLITH MONSTERS as well as Q-MASS #1, and I'd definitely rate it as the best of the blob-type films.

X is another good entry into a 'suspension of criticism' series where atmosphere and willingness to buy into the story overcomes all criticisms of weak special-effects. THE BLOB, unfortunately, has too many poorly-scripted and directed scenes for me to let its fun overcome all of my criticisms. "They're just too dumb!" is my frequent criticism of that film.

X, MONOLITH, Q-MASS could have a few of those lines thrown at them, too, but their atmosphere and tension are high enough for me to skip over obvious set-models. I just don't care - they're scary, they're tense and any bad-script/acting scenes are clipped short - the stagey, wooden Steve McQueen vs. Town Sheriff scenes don't drag on and on in those films! (And probably Line 2 of that scene qualifies as "dragging on".)

I appreciate MONOLITH because, while it's obviously a use of models, they do it pretty well with cheap effects - they're inventive and creative, and I've always wondered why Morton's didn't sponsor this film entirely.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings