Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Must be early 30s film, possibly musical, help identify

KTJ

I couldn't get a screen shot, and I only saw the last minute or so, but I'll bet one of you guys can identify it for me.

From the quality of the film, particularly the sound, which I could barely hear until I cranked it way up, it must have been made in the early 1930s. It looked like one of those Jeannette MacDonald-Nelson Eddy costumed things -- like "The Vagabond King" or something. Fantasy-medieval. People were standing in front of a medium-sized palace waving their heads off. The ladies wore the kind of wimples or head wraps we commonly associate with medieval days, the men had wide-brimmed hats and, I think, vests.

Then an ornate gate closes and the word "Epilogue" appears (this probably identifies the film right there). A very pretty woman (who possibly -was- a very young Jeannette MacDonald) stands in front of the gate and delivers the epilogue. She says she can't beg (our attention) because she's not dressed as a beggar (she has a lovely dress on). She continues with a message about, I think, love and understanding between the sexes (she 'magically' changes her outfit as she addresses the men in the audience, then the women) -- which I could barely understand because of her stage-play-Bavarian accent.

It was shown on local television and I called the station but unfortunately the only line open was the pledge line and she had to leave a message. God only knows if they'll ever get back to me. The online tv schedule said simply "Viewer Favorites."

I want to rent this and watch it, maybe even buy it if it's available. That woman looked so much like my actress grandmother (and I've heard her do the exact same accent) that if I didn't know she had never been filmed, I would have sworn it was she.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings