Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
upl8nod8

Help! Not much 2 go on...

Ok movie experts, can you identify a movie with almost nothing to go on? Am I the only one who thinks it would be prudent to identify a movie, music video or whatever, at the end? If you miss the beginning, but liked what you saw, 99% of the time it's hard to know what it was without the aid of a PI. Here's my dilemma... A few years ago I awoke to the ending of a movie. I'd like to see the rest of it, but I have no idea what it was. That started me watching oldies for the last few years (which is a nice side benefit) but, despite seeing some of the same movies repeated a kazillion times, I'm yet to see the one I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm just unlucky. Perhaps the rest of the movie is really bad. Still, it'd sure be nice to know what it was.

Here's all I know about it:

It was a black and white movie and a man and woman were singing to each other. The song was 'The Emperor's Waltz', and although I was unaware that it had lyrics, here's part of what they sang:

"Love is a dream...

Yet it's so real.

Hard to explain,

just how you feel.

Deep in your heart,

Love seems to dwell.

Still the same,

it's perfectly swell."

Which doesn't sound like something Strauss would have made up. In any case, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure. The guy I saw didn't look or sound like Bing to me, but I was still pretty out of it at the time. And I only saw a minute or two, so maybe he was singing to her earlier in the show. But it sounds like too good a lead to pass up. I'll be heading to Blockbuster tonight.

Thanks!!!

I was thinking it was The Emperor Waltz starring Bing and Joan Fontaine (don't think there's an "s" on the end) too slnt291....but that was in color, not b&w. I do believe the title song is in it though...

Hoo boy . . . do you know what this sounds like? Years ago on Saturday Night Live, I saw this B&W movie pastiche (by Tom Schiller?) in which Phil Hartman sang this song to Jan Hooks -- although I remember the last line as "Like poets say, it's perfectly swell."

In this short film, Hartman is in uniform and Hooks is wearing a poofy white dress and a tiara. It switches to color at one point as Hartman sings the song to her and they dance together, then back to B&W as Hooks wakes up and realizes it's all been a dream. She gets up and goes to the bank to deposit something (a necklace?) in a safe deposit box, and as she goes out, she waves to the bank's security officer, played by Hartman, who waves back to her. End of film.

I know this sounds crazy, but could this be it?

You know, the uniform and poofy dress sure sound familiar. I wonder if they did an embellished vingette of the Emperor Waltz? I haven't had a chance to rent it yet, but I will soon and I'll let you know. Thank you and the others for the help thus far!

I do know that Bing Crosby sang this song in 'The Emperor Waltz'. He also made a recording of it, which my mother had on the old 78rpm record format, and he sang the exact words you gave us. It was always a favorite of mine, too.