Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
todd4148

Green Berets on Veterans Day

TCM is my favorite channel, I love old movies vs. CG and green screen...however the movie Green Berets is out of character for TCM. John Wayne is very overweight, has double chin, and walks like he's still in the old West...the acting and depiction the subject matter and time period is terrible. I'm not a Vet, but can only imagine real Green Berets, Rangers, Seals, Special Ops and other Vets etc. watching this movie in disgust, its the worst depiction of the subject matter and Hollywood at its worst. Sorry to see it being shown today. Other than that, I love TCM, we all make mistakes...

• Like 1

I think they wanted to show a Vietnam movie but they also are leery of showing one with too much violence and/or language, which most Vietnam war films have.

I don't know the logistics (schedule timing, etc) but I wouldn't mind seeing them do a Veterans Day marathon featuring movies from every major US conflict. You could start with a Revolutionary War movie first thing, and then progress through time as the day progressed, so that Vietnam and Gulf War/Afghan War films could be featured later in the evening or late night, when they allow some more R-rated movies to play. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another idea would be doing a Veterans Day marathon focusing only on movies that deal with veterans returning home or dealing with injuries, etc., rather than just war-is-hell battle flicks or flag waving recruitment drives. Pride of the MarinesBright VictoryComing HomeThe Best Years of Our Lives, etc.

• Like 4

Welcome, todd4148.  As I said on another but similar topic, THE GREEN BERETS is the worst Vietnam movie.  Yes, show something else in the later hours.

• Like 1

TCM did a night of Vietnam movies in January 2016. In addition to "The Green Berets," there were showings of "The Quiet American" (1958), a drama -- starring Audie Murphy and Sir Michael Redgrave (pictured below) -- about the last days of the French regime in Indochina; "The Deer Hunter" (1978), Michael Cimino's Best Picture winner with Robert De Niro and Meryl Streep; and the 1974 Oscar-winning documentary "Hearts and Minds."

Image result for audie murphy the quiet american

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Another idea would be doing a Veterans Day marathon focusing only on movies that deal with veterans returning home or dealing with injuries, etc., rather than just war-is-hell battle flicks or flag waving recruitment drives. Pride of the MarinesBright VictoryComing HomeThe Best Years of Our Lives, etc.

EXCELLENT suggestion. All four of those films are fanastic and would get the theme across very well.

I'd add HEROES FOR SALE (1933) which is about a guy played by Richard Barthelmess who struggles to readjust to civilian life after WWI.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, todd4148 said:

TCM is my favorite channel, I love old movies vs. CG and green screen...however the movie Green Berets is out of character for TCM. John Wayne is very overweight, has double chin, and walks like he's still in the old West...the acting and depiction the subject matter and time period is terrible. I'm not a Vet, but can only imagine real Green Berets, Rangers, Seals, Special Ops and other Vets etc. watching this movie in disgust, its the worst depiction of the subject matter and Hollywood at its worst. Sorry to see it being shown today. Other than that, I love TCM, we all make mistakes...

Welcome to the board.  As a Vietnam veteran I have often lamented the lack of Vietnam movies on TCM.  There are a lot of movies about Vietnam, with a few mentioned on this thread.  While some may have more violence and be less "patriotic" than most predecessor war movies, they are not much different from other movies TCM shows all the time at all hours of the day.

TCM just seems to favor their collection of WW II era movies.  The Best Years of Our Lives for example is on frequently.  The Memorial Day Marathons usually do not have any Vietnam movies, even though they have been around since 1955 or so.

As for The Green Berets, I read the book and saw the movie when they came out.  I also served in airborne unit at Ft. Bragg, NC (Home of the Airborne and Special Forces) when the movie came out.  Later served in Special Ops unit.  While appreciated as a tribute to military, it was viewed pretty much as a joke.  In fact, in the Army at the time the phrase to John Wayne something was a derogatory comment. 

This is typical of John Wayne movies, especially war movies.  I don't think he really changed his acting style or focus between westerns, war movies or any other movies he did.

Lawrence's suggestion re: movies from each war on Veterans Day is a good one, but actually would be better fit for TCM's Memorial Day Marathons which usually last longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2017-11-11 at 11:40 AM, todd4148 said:

* “MEET RETIRED U.S. ARMY SERGEANT ERIC HUNTER, WHO SERVED AND SACRIFICED IN BOTH IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN. MR. HUNTER SELECTED: THE GREEN BERETS ('68)”

Mr. Hunter was severely injured in combat and his dream of becoming a Green Beret was taken away from him. I had no problem watching The Green Berets with John Wayne.C2612B47-892A-4C2F-A698-FFF30FA40331.thumb.jpeg.34a46b5f49d5308161461ae296c58544.jpeg

On 11/11/2017 at 1:40 PM, todd4148 said:

the vets overlook all that because it's John Wayne and the military vets loves John Wayne.

Image result for john wayne the green berets

On 11/11/2017 at 11:40 AM, todd4148 said:

Hmmmm...funny, but weren't these the exact words eventually used by Robert McNamara when he later attempted his little mea culpa about our involvement in that war???

(...jus' askin'...although pretty much rhetorically, of course)