Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd"

So, has anyone else had a chance to watch it yet? As much as I love classic musicals, it's also nice to know that the genre still has some life left, as evidenced on television by the popularity of the High School Musical series, and in theaters by movies like Hairspray and now Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd.

In all fairness, it's not a movie I would recommend to anyone who can't take a movie that's about as black as anything that's ever been made, and with some pretty ghastly moments too (lots of blood splashing all over the place).

But from what little I know of Stephen Sondheim's stage version, it's been remarkably well adapted to the movie screen, talking advantages of the strenghts of the medium.

One review I read said it was more a horror movie with music than anything else (typical of Burton---a one note director), and it opened to less than $9M for it's first weekend (so-so)...

Also read that Sacha Baron Cohen's voice was too deep for the role of Pirelli, so Burton let him do it in rap? Not a good sign....

There is some strong stuff in it, and it may even be too strong for the weak of heart. But the movie's still without question the film adaptation of a legit musical. And of course that it may not be the most commercial movie to release during the Holiday season, although naturally one mustn't confuse quality with popularity. High School Musical is very popular, but not necessarily a high-quality television movie.

In the end, people who are drawn to this kind of movie and have a good idea of what to expect will probably enjoy the movie, which absolutely refrains from any phony sentimentality as is often the case with many mainstream movies today. Those who prefer more conventional Hollywood filmmaking might want to pass, though.

Burton has made the first real horror musical. Bloody and brilliant with the emphasis on the bloody- this is a dark tale about revenge, mass murder and cannibalism and nothing is left to the imagination. Blood over flows which probably turned off some people. Depp is amazing. Great production design and costumes and its a pleasure to hear that glorious score with a full orchestra.

Message was edited by: joefilmone

I hated Sweeney Todd. I had bad music, bad acting, bad singing, and a bad plot. The only thing I really liked about it was the Kid who was treated like crap through out the whole film. The Kid was amazing. I think that Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman, and Borat have hit a new low.

Ed Sanders played Toby and yes he was very good like a lost angel trapped in this Victorian hell.

I think the whole cast was excellent, and the boy's performance all the more remarkable for holding his own against so many talented actors. :x

I liked everyone except Helena Bonham Carter. She played Mrs. Lovett with no humor whatsoever. Also, her singing voice was very small and she didn't have any variety to her vocals. Nothing can beat Angela Lansbury as the original Mrs. Lovett. I did enjoy the movie, overall, though.

Sandy K

Funny you should mention Angela Lansbury, I finally got around to renting the DVD of the original "Sweeney Todd" stage production, in which she starred. Everyone there does a great job!

Although Ms. Lansbury did a great job, I also see why Tim Burton might have been inclined to cast Helena for the movie. I'm not particularly a fan of hers, and have even found her off-putting in some parts. But I think in this particular case, her ability to play slightly bizarre characters was perfect for the part.

All in all, I am pretty impressed with the cast of the movie version, since they were chosen primarily for their acting credentials, rather than their singing ability. The overall effect is still pretty effective, although I suppose one could quibble about the quality of the voices.

breathtakingly original? it's adapted from a Broadway musical that ran for years, spawned a PBS special, and a Broadway revival...

Yes, I think we're all aware of the musical's history. What does that have to do with it being a breathtakingly original work of art? If you look at it on its own terms, you can certainly see many qualities that set it far apart from any movie musical.

I wouldn't watch it on a bet.... yet another Depp as a Weirdo film.... it's all he can play

Well, I absolutely wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't enjoyed all of Tim Burton's and Johnny Depp's previous collaborations.

If you don't like Depp or Burton you are not going to like the movie. Its original because its the first true horror movie musical. If you have a taste for the macabre you'll love it.

If you don't like Depp or Burton you are not going to like the movie. Its original because its the first true horror movie musical. If you have a taste for the macabre you'll love it.

Well put. And for those who do like Depp & Burton, the movie is definitely a treat. A pitch-black one, but still a treat.

I just bought tickets for the touring Broaday show of "Sweeney Todd"! It is coming to Phoenix, Az in April! My partner & my dad both saw "Sweeney Todd" on Braodway W. Len Cariou as Sweeney Todd and Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett.

You should check out a 1936 a film version of the Victorian melodrama, called Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street, starring Tod Slaughter in the title role. I found a copy of this on DVD in a $1.00 bin, & it wasn't bad!

Show Dates

Apr. 15 - 20, 2008 - ASU Gammage

Innovative, intimate and ingenious, this revolutionary new production of SWEENEY TODD "is an event theatergoers will be talking about for years." (The Wall Street Journal).

The film version W./Johnny Depp was really good! Despite the grim expectations from the story synopsis, the film delivers gore in a surprisingly tasteful way. There are no screaming teenagers running from a lunatic; instead we get a somewhat British blend of satire, slapstick and just "wrong" humor. Although I'm not much of a Johnny Depp fan, I enjoyed his performance as well as Helena Bonham Carter's.

The musical highlight for me is the "A Little Priest", ("Sir, it's too good, at least! Then again, they don't commit sins of the flesh, So it's pretty fresh.") is as funny and gleefully mad as the scene requires! Love it... Love it...Love it!!

" A Little Priest" number was tasty treat- I also love the entire bizarre by the sea shore sequence which was pure Charles Adams.

I also love the entire bizarre by the sea shore sequence which was pure Charles Adams.

I loved that sequence! It is extremely cinematic, and the kind of thing that probably wouldn't have worked at all if they'd tried it onstage. From what I've seen of the Angela Lansbury version, they didn't try anything remotely like it on the stage version.

when i heard that Johnny Depp was going to do his own sining

i wanted to cry!

i mean i remember when he did cry-baby and had a voice over

i was shocked beyond anything

he has such an amazing voice

the whole cast did!

I am truly looking forward to all of Depp's future roles. He definitely has a lot of potential, I think someday he'll be remembered as one of the most interesting actors of his generation.