Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CHOREOGRAPHER MICHAEL KIDD DIES

edgeciff

Michael Kidd, another legend from the golden age of Hollywood and Broadway has died at the age of 92. Kidd made his first stage appearance as a dancer in 1937. He later went on to dance with the American Ballet Theatre in NYC. Thereafter he moved to B'way where he choreographed such famous musicals as FINIAN'S RAINBOW, GUYS AND DOLLS and HELLO DOLLY. Hollywood beckoned and Kidd choreographed such film musicals as GUYS AND DOLLS, THE BAND WAGON and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. Kidd made his film debut in the 1955 MGM musical IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER opposite Gene Kelly, Dan Dailey and Cyd Charisse. Although Kidd danced in the film with Kelly and Dailey, his one big production number in the film was cut. Rumor has it that Kelly saw how great Kidd was in this number and had it cut from the film. A rough cut of the number appear on the recently released DVD. (Kelly also wanted to cut Dan Dailey's number too, but too many people interceded). Although Kidd got very favorable reviews for his screen debut he preferred to return to the stage. Kidd's dance numbers for Minnelli's THE BAND WAGON and Donen's SEVEN BRIDES are some the most memorable moments ever to appear on screen.

michael kidd was a great talent....i'm glad that his distinctive choreography graced a number of classic hollywood musicals before that era ended, and that kidd had an illustrious career with the broadway stage as well. i'm trying to ensure his work in films is well represented in my dvd collection.

edgecliff, i too saw that documentary included on the 'it's alway's fair weather' dvd and found it quite disturbing in regards to gene kelly. to cut kidd's solo and attempt to cut dailey's seems so vicious on kelly's part.

he seemed to have mistreated a number of co-stars so badly---- read the 'take me out to the ballgame' article on this site or the 'SITR' articles on IMDB---- it lowers my respect for him. i have to factor in these accounts of megalomania w/ his genius as an artist.

all this time i thought of him as a self-effacing genius like astaire.

Thereafter he moved to B'way where he choreographed such famous musicals as FINIAN'S RAINBOW, GUYS AND DOLLS and HELLO DOLLY

Although Michael Kidd did do the choreography for the Broadway shows, Finian's Rainbow and Guys and Dolls, in addition to Can Can , Li'l Abner and many others, he did not choreograph Hello, Dolly! on Broadway. That was Gower Champion. Kidd did, however, choreograph the film version.

Next to Onna White, who was his protege, Michael Kidd was my favorite film choreographer. He always staged numbers that you could believe the characters were capable of doing. He never wasted his dance music, and always staged something appropriate for the song. He never forced a style onto a piece. He won 5 Tony Awards and was given an honorary Oscar for his work. Here are two of his later efforts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENKl-29pbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oLGw7bf1VM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings