Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for definitive Barbara Stanwyck and Ramon Novarro biographies

AnaElisa

Try:

Barbara Stanwyck: A Biography (Hardcover)

by Al Diorio (Author) which is out of print but can be found

or try

Stanwyck

by Axel Madsen

(Madsen ( Chanel ) picks a tough subject in movie legend Barbara Stanwyck, who was born in Brooklyn in 1907 and orphaned at age three. She scrambled up through the Broadway chorus line and, by the time she reached Hollywood, was such a hard worker that Madsen has to struggle to avoid recounting endless lists of movies, memorable and otherwise. On the orders of MGM, Stanwyck married leading man Robert Taylor. We hear a lot about their troubled relationship, which Madsen portrays as a ``lavender'' marriage to conceal Taylor's homosexuality. Yet the meat here lies in the detailed descriptions of Stanwyck's movies, which include such classics as Stella Dall a s, The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire and Billy Wilder's spectacular Double Indemnity . The overall impression we're left with is of a talented woman who cared mainly for her career. Stardom and riches failed to buy her serenity in a youth-obsessed Hollywood, where Stanwyck died alone at the age of 84. Madsen's bio breathes intimacy on every page and avoids a gossipy tone. Photos not seen by PW. )

Beyond Paradise : The Life of Ramon Novarro

by Andre Soares

(Beyond Paradise presents for the first time a full picture of the man who made motion picture history - from his amazing rise to stardom to the destructive conflicts faced by this traditional Catholic Mexicanman who was also a gay film star. Compellingly told and impressively researched - including original interviews with Novarro's surviving friends, family, co-workers and the two men convicted of his murder - Beyond Paradise provides a unique insight into the groundbreaking life and career of one of the most important early Hollywood stars - a man whose myth continues to fascinate today)

OR

Ramon Novarro : A Biography of the Silent Film Idol, 1899-1968: With a Filmography

by Allan R. Ellenberger, Kevin Brownlow

OR

The Leading Men of MGM

by Jane Ellen Wayne

Try:

Borders Books and Music

Barnes and Noble

Ebay

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Celluloid Kid,

Just wanted to follow up and let you know I found your top choice for both actors in my local library! (That's kind of rare, at least I wasn't expecting it) They're definitely on my list for the next batch of books I check out. Thanks again!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings