Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IRENE DUNNE DAY

On 11/17/2017 at 9:36 PM, lydecker said:

Irene Dunne is one of those actresses I was aware of but didn't really know much about her work in depth, until TCM. I've really grown to admire her, even in those "women's pictures" she so decried.  Something so very solid about her work and she was very versatile.  

I came to her a bit late in my life too, Lydecker as I was around thirty before I appreciated her, but after that I thought she was the cat's meow. Someone here once mentioned that Roddy McDowall had a test he would use when he met people. He said he would ask them if they liked Irene Dunne and if they didn't, he knew he would ot want anything to do with them. I think her frothy style in comedies and her depth in drama, plus singing talents is supreme.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

I came to her a bit late in my life too, Lydecker as I was around thirty before I appreciated her, but after that I thought she was the cat's meow. Someone here once mentioned that Roddy McDowall had a test he would use when he met people. He said he would ask them if they liked Irene Dunne and if they didn't, he knew he would ot want anything to do with them. I think her frothy style in comedies and her depth in drama, plus singing talents is supreme.

Yes, LOL! I'd forgotten about that Roddy story. He and Irene were good friends and starred together in The White Cliffs of Dover. He introduced her in a rare later public appearance at an LA Filmex gathering in the 70s where they showed film clips and she answered questions.....

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

It's George Brent. And Irene was 0 for 5 in the Oscar races. (5 nominations).

You can probably understand spence's confusion about your avatar, Hibi.

Ya see, it's only a shot of George from his shoulders up, and thus his most recognizable, ahem, "aspect" isn't being shown.

(...if ya know what I mean here...and I'm sure you do) ;)

I know. But at least Grant got an honorary one before he died. Irene got NADA. I thought she should have got another nomination for Penny Serenade. They both free lanced most of their careers, so that was part of it. Just like Barbara Stanwyck, another Oscar loser.........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I know. But at least Grant got an honorary one before he died. Irene got NADA. I thought she should have got another nomination for Penny Serenade. They both free lanced most of their careers, so that was part of it. Just like Barbara Stanwyck, another Oscar loser.........

Barbara also got an honorary Oscar as well. Edward G. Robinson got one as well, but unfortunately he didn't live long enough to receive it himself. He was never even nominated, which is the biggest shame of the Academy thus far.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Barbara also got an honorary Oscar as well. Edward G. Robinson got one as well, but unfortunately he didn't live long enough to receive it himself. He was never even nominated, which is the biggest shame of the Academy thus far.

Yes, and he should have had many nominations. I especially love his work in several post-war films-- THE RED HOUSE; HOUSE OF STRANGERS; and ALL MY SONS. He's simply superb.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Agree with all those films, but would like to add The Whole Town's Talking, where he plays both a softie and the tough guy persona he became famous for.

I agree with all the Edward G. Robinson films that have been mentioned so far, but I'd like to throw another name into the ring, Five Star Final.  Robinson was phenomenal in this film.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Agree with all those films, but would like to add The Whole Town's Talking, where he plays both a softie and the tough guy persona he became famous for.

I really like The Whole Town's Talking.    Robinson shows he can play two very different type of character convincingly and the film has Jean Arthur,  one of my favorites.    

• Like 1

I didn't have time to catch all the early Dunne films, but did watch Symphony for Six Million on demand, and the darn thing cut off 10 minutes before the end!  It was more of a showcase for Ricardo Cortez in a very different role (he was quite good as a doctor from the Jewish tenements in New York, a very natural and likeable performance).  Apparently, Cortez actually was Jewish (Cortez was his screen name), and the movie was much better than I expected it to be.  Irene was quite noble, trying to force Ricardo back to his roots.  Anyway, I don't know how it ended; he was getting ready to operate on Dunne, who had a spinal deformity that was crippling her.

I love those early talkie "soaps."  They're a lot earthier than the glossy products of the 40s and 50s, and they often show more diversity in social classes and roles for women.

22 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree with all the Edward G. Robinson films that have been mentioned so far, but I'd like to throw another name into the ring, Five Star Final.  Robinson was phenomenal in this film.

Yes. He was great in that too.

I saw A Guy Named Joe, with her and Spencer Tracy in it, and thought they made a cute pair....but then (SPOILER ALERT) gosh darn it, they kill him off, those he's still in the film as a sort of guardian angel to one of the newer pilots (Van Johnson) who happens to take a liking to Irene's character, much to Tracy's dismay.

I haven't seen ALWAYS, the Spielberg remake to this film, but I thought this film was actually quite good. It's too bad Irene and Tracy never did another film together, one where their characters could have lived happily ever after. But then he already had his ideal leading lady in Katharine Hepburn as everyone knows.

Thank you for all the info and pictures. I knew little about Irene's early life. Just the basics. I wish someone would write a biography of her. Thanks for posting this!

I'm sorry I missed you on TCM, so thanks for including that too. Good job!