Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Women in power-- women take control of their own destinies

23 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

never liked her from the start. I found her demeanor after Mondale picked her very self-serving and lacking in any humility whatsoever.

GERALDINE_FERRARO.jpg

I actually met her and interviewed her on the spot without an appointment.

She was kind and gracious even though, she was in a hurry.

And fortunately I got to meet her a second time and see her interact with others at a luncheon.

She was a woman who, was in command of herself, knew what she wanted and showed respect for others.

If you had really known her, you would have liked her too.

A clear sign as to how far down the pit the US government can go. To show an illegitimate wannabee US puppet: Juan **** in the flesh at the State of the Union address, as the so called (un-elected) President of Venezuela, and cheered by the Democrats (Nancy Pelosi) is a clear sign of ‘American democracy’. Dictator puppets are OK, as long as they are obedient to the most evil empire that ever existed. **** will never be accepted by Venezuela, because they can see through the satanic plot of stealing their countries wealth

Hey,  TT123:  Do you know what Sanders' stance  was toward Venezuela's existing government and this so called illegitimate wannabee US puppet?

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey,  TT123:  Do you know what Sanders' stance  was toward Venezuela's existing government and this so called illegitimate wannabee US puppet?

Bernie Sanders (U.S. Senator for Vermont) 

Sanders’ stance toward Venezuela differs from other 2020 candidates. He opposes outside intervention in the country and has not come out and called Nicolás Maduro a dictator, something that has upset Democrats and Republicans alike. He has also not recognized Juan Guaidó as the legitimate leader of Venezuela, even when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recognized “Juan Guaidó, President of the National Assembly, as the Interim President until full, fair and free elections can be held.” 

Following the Bolivia’s presidential election on October 20 and the resulting resignation of then President Evo Morales after Bolivia’s military asked that he resign to help ensure stability in the country, Sanders voiced his concerned “about what appears to be a coup in Bolivia… where the military, after weeks of political unrest, intervened to remove President Evo Morales.” Sanders, the only Democratic candidate to call the events in Bolivia a “coup,” doubled down on his assertion during a Democratic debate, “When the military intervenes, Jorge, in my view, that’s called a ‘coup.'”

Senator Sanders shared with CFR that if elected president, his administration would not be in the view of regime change, but would support the negotiations between the Maduro government and the opposition, and work with other countries in the region and the international community, to support the Venezuelan people’s right to build their own future. Sanders also mentioned the importance of listening to the voices of Venezuelan activists themselves who warn against broad sanctions, such as the Trump administration’s oil sanctions, that, in his view, mainly punish the people, not the government. 

When it comes to Cuba, Sanders supports normalizing relations with the island and lifting the embargo. 

On January 16, Sanders voted against the passage of the USMCA trade deal. In the democratic debate in Los Angeles, Senator Sanders made it clear he would not be voting in favor of the updated agreement. He said the deal “is not going to stop outsourcing, it is not going to stop corporations from moving to Mexico.”

Immigration reform is high on Bernie Sanders’ list of important issues he needs to tackle. He believes that a proper path toward citizenship should be implemented in DACA and DAPA to help asylum seekers speed up the naturalization process. Sanders originally voted against the creation of ICE and believes in restructuring the agency to reform immigration practice and end the agency’s brutal practices, including family separation. To make sure that agencies such as ICE are operating fairly, Sanders believes in the establishment of standards that would allow for the oversight of border control agencies, to guarantee that no U.S. government agency commits any human rights violation. 

Sanders is one of the few democratic hopefuls who has emphasized the necessity of looking at root causes when it comes to immigration. In the first democratic presidential debate, Sanders stated that on day one, he would invite the presidents and leadership of Central America and Mexico together to address the root causes of migration because this is a “hemispheric issue.” Sanders also believes that the U.S. has had a long history of inappropriately intervening in Latin American countries, which has yielded disastrous conditions, many of which have affected the number of asylum seekers fleeing their home countries today.

Regarding Puerto Rico, Sanders has listed the Caribbean island as a main issue the U.S. needs to reexamine. He believes that the resources available to the U.S. should be used toward helping rebuild Puerto Rico after the damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. He wants to restore “self-rule” in Puerto Rico by removing Wall Street vulture funds from the country to allow for the empowerment of the Puerto Rican people themselves. 

https://theglobalamericans.org/2020/03/what-the-democratic-presidential-are-saying-about-latin-america-an-ongoing-series-2/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TalkTalk123 said:

Sanders’ stance toward Venezuela differs from other 2020 candidates. He opposes outside intervention in the country and has not come out and called Nicolás Maduro a dictator, something that has upset Democrats and Republicans alike. He has also not recognized Juan Guaidó as the legitimate leader of Venezuela, even when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recognized “Juan Guaidó, President of the National Assembly, as the Interim President until full, fair and free elections can be held.” 

Following the Bolivia’s presidential election on October 20 and the resulting resignation of then President Evo Morales after Bolivia’s military asked that he resign to help ensure stability in the country, Sanders voiced his concerned “about what appears to be a coup in Bolivia… where the military, after weeks of political unrest, intervened to remove President Evo Morales.” Sanders, the only Democratic candidate to call the events in Bolivia a “coup,” doubled down on his assertion during a Democratic debate, “When the military intervenes, Jorge, in my view, that’s called a ‘coup.'”

I generally agree with Sanders on Venezuela (except that Maduro is clearly a dictator since he has rigged election after election).   Since I generally lean toward non-intervention I agree the USA should have stayed out of this from the start.    

As for Bolivia;  To me Sanders was acting like he was clueless;   Morales shouldn't have even been allowed to run for an additional term.     The election was rigged and the only way to remove him was by the military.    Mexico's moronic leader,  AMLO,   supported Morales because he is planning on doing something similar in Mexico;   use the C-19 crisis to get the corrupted Judicial branch to allow him to run for a 2nd term in violation of their constitution.      Just goes to show that so call liberal leaders can be just as corrupt and dictatorial as right-wing leaders \ governments.

• Thanks 1

Bernie Repeats CIA Talking Points On Venezuela,  Feb 25, 2019

Sometimes Bernie has to show he's in support of the intelligence agencies, and Jimmy Dore back in early 2019 is all over Bernie for it. 

35 minutes ago, jakeem said:

30 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The people of Michigan are fortunate to have a leader like Governor Whitmer. And I think the majority of people in the state realize it.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

The people of Michigan are fortunate to have a leader like Governor Whitmer. And I think the majority of people in the state realize it.

In my mind she is the front runner to be Biden's V.P. candidate.     Only problem is will people-of-color get out an vote for an all-white-ticket? 

Polling data suggest that this will be a problem due to the Dems party over-reliance on identity politics.    Of course that shouldn't happen given all the disrespect Trump has shown people-of-color but sadly their record of getting out and voting isn't as strong as whites,  especially conservatives.   

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In my mind she is the front runner to be Biden's V.P. candidate.     Only problem is will people-of-color get out an vote for an all-white-ticket? 

Polling data suggest that this will be a problem due to the Dems party over-reliance on identity politics.    Of course that shouldn't happen given all the disrespect Trump has shown people-of-color but sadly their record of getting out and voting isn't as strong as whites,  especially conservatives.   

I don't think you're old enough to remember that it's been the black vote that has put every Democratic president in office since John Kennedy. LOL

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Democratic Party nominated a black man for President, and he was elected twice. They then nominated a woman, who, sadly, did not get elected. I don't think the Dems have to nominate a candidate who can help the ticket win and who gives the impression that she can step in to the leading role, if necessary. I think Amy Klobachar would be the best bet.

At this point, one hopes that people will vote based on candidate's policies, and there will be a clear choice. If African Americans won't vote for Biden without a black on the ticket, let them reap the joys of a second term for Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

The Democratic Party nominated a black man for President, and he was elected twice. They then nominated a woman, who, sadly, did not get elected. I don't think the Dems have to nominate a candidate who can help the ticket win and who gives the impression that she can step in to the leading role, if necessary. I think Amy Klobachar would be the best bet.

At this point, one hopes that people will vote based on candidate's policies, and there will be a clear choice. If African Americans won't vote for Biden without a black on the ticket, let them reap the joys of a second term for Donald Trump.

Not sure what Obama's two prior elections,  or Clinton's failure,   has to do with this;  Yes,  the Dem party did run a 'black man' (really half-a-black-man),  AND that lead to a historically high black voter turnout.    In fact one can say that illustrates my concern;  black voters turnout is only strong when the ticket is lead by someone that is black.

Also what do you mean by 'best bet'?   Best for what?    (BTW I was pulling for Klobachar as the Presidential candidate).  

As for 'vote based on candidate's policies,,,,,'.   Well of course that is the HOPE,   but it isn't clear,  even with what should be obvious about Trump,  that that will be the case.

E.g. the Bernie Bros and followers of A.O.C.;     I'm still finding way to many that are so bitter that they will be either voting for Trump or sitting it out,  just to stick it to the DNC and the Dem party establishment in general.

I have seen comments from people-of-color advocates with a similar POV;   E.g.  will Anita Hill campaign for Joe Biden?    

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not sure what Obama's two prior elections,  or Clinton's failure,   has to do with this;  Yes,  the Dem party did run a 'black man' (really half-a-black-man),  AND that lead to a historically high black voter turnout.    In fact one can say that illustrates my concern;  black voters turnout is only strong when the ticket is lead by someone that is black.

Also what do you mean by 'best bet'?   Best for what?    (BTW I was pulling for Klobachar as the Presidential candidate).  

As for 'vote based on candidate's policies,,,,,'.   Well of course that is the HOPE,   but it isn't clear,  even with what should be obvious about Trump,  that that will be the case.

E.g. the Bernie Bros and followers of A.O.C.;     I'm still finding way to many that are so bitter that they will be either voting for Trump or sitting it out,  just to stick it to the DNC and the Dem party establishment in general.

I have seen comments from people-of-color advocates with a similar POV;   E.g.  will Anita Hill campaign for Joe Biden?    

Well, if people who have the most to lose from a Trump presidency don't realize that they have a lot to lose -- like voting rights, abortion rights, etc., perhaps they deserve what they get.  The right wing is smarter that way. They have their issues, and they don't care about the character of the candidate who they believe will deliver for them.  My favorite cliche is "The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good."  If AOC wants the perfect, she's not even going to get the good. Though I think she has come around. The Bernie Bros. have more in common with Trump supporters. "It's the same dame."

Klobachar is a great debater and campaigner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Well, if people who have the most to lose from a Trump presidency don't realize that they have a lot to lose -- like voting rights, abortion rights, etc., perhaps they deserve what they get.  The right wing is smarter that way. They have their issues, and they don't care about the character of the candidate who they believe will deliver for them.  My favorite cliche is "The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good."  If AOC wants the perfect, she's not even going to get the good. Though I think she has come around. The Bernie Bros. have more in common with Trump supporters. "It's the same dame."

Klobachar is a great debater and campaigner.

Amy is a nice person but I don't think she would add much to the ticket in terms of Charisma or Excitement.

Right now people are talking about Senator Tammy Duckworth, who is a disabled war veteran and of Southeast Asian ethnicity.

A vice president has to bring something to the table in a competitive race.  I learned that when Bobby Kennedy had to swallow it and suck up to LBJ back in 1960.

Both Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris have a lot more to offer than Amy Klobuchar, on any day of the week.

But, they may be considered too radical and they may scare some middle-of-the-road people away.

Whereas, Amy Klobuchar may be so boring that she would bring very little in terms of excitement to the ticket and give us a Tim Kaine kind of feeling.

Governor Whitmer is a new face on the National scene. We're getting to know her--like the way we're getting to know Governor Cuomo nationally--

oh, she may be one of the Best Bets yet. Her state is in a tremendous disaster at the moment, and how she handles it will be very important to her National standing.

What is it they use to say about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers?

He gives her class, while she gives him sex appeal.

Any winning ticket has to have some kind of contrasting difference, whether it's geographical, sexual, racial, class, life experience--

something whereas the top candidate can count on the bottom one to bring something in that he or she lacks without being too controversial or more popular than the top name

It's just that simple.

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Whereas, Amy Klobuchar may be so boring that she would bring very little in terms of excitement to the ticket and give us a Tim Kaine kind of feeling.

Governor Whitmer is a new face on the National scene. We're getting to know her--like the way we're getting to know Governor Cuomo nationally--

oh, she may be one of the Best Bets yet. Her state is in a tremendous disaster at the moment, and how she handles it will be very important to her National standing.

Gee, I don't think so. At this point, I'm afraid of "new faces on the scene." I think Amy is sharp and interesting. I used to like Kamala -- she'd be ok -- but the Kavanaugh hearing changed my opinions. Amy was sharp, moving, talking about her father; Kamala just folded.

Biden is "of a certain age." I think people want stability and a solid personality before they want excitement in the second spot this year. If there's one thing that this pandemic has taught us (I hope), it's that we shouldn't be seduced by "excitement."

• Like 1

Just now, Swithin said:

Gee, I don't think so. At this point, I'm afraid of "new faces on the scene." I think Amy is sharp and interesting. I used to like Kamala -- she'd be ok -- but the Kavanaugh hearing changed my opinions. Amy was sharp, moving, talking about her father; Kamala just folded.

Biden is "of a certain age." I think people want stability and a solid personality before they want excitement in the second spot this year. If there's one thing that this pandemic has taught us (I hope), it's that we shouldn't be seduced by "excitement."

Amy reminds me so much of Biden that she could be his own daughter.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Amy reminds me so much of Biden that she could be his own daughter.

See, that would a first, and exciting: a father/daughter team!

5 minutes ago, Swithin said:

See, that would a first, and exciting: a father/daughter team!

Swith-- you always look for the silver lining. That wasn't my take on it at all. LOL

• Haha 1

Note that Clinton won Minnesota by only 1.5%.       Amy would help ensure that state stays with Biden.

Yes,  Amy can be boring but as Swithin said I believe that is what many Americans are looking for.   We had way too much excitement with the current administration.  In addition Pence is also boring so maybe that has set an expectation for a V.P.

Clinton won Illinois,  Duckworth's state by 5.83% so Biden should retain that one. 

Harris and Warren would drag down the ticket in the battleground states.   E.g. Warren couldn't even win her home state in the Dem primary,  and of course Harris is from CA, which Biden will win in a landslide,  and as Swithin noted Harris really melted down and vastly under performed when the spotlight was too bright.

Thus I would still recommend Governor Whitmer  since Trump won Michigan  by only .23%.     All Biden needs to win is to retain the states Clinton won and pick up Michigan and one other state like PA or FL,  which is very doable.    

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that Clinton won Minnesota by only 1.5%.       Amy would help ensure that state stays with Biden.

One false movie in any of the bigger swing states can decide the election. I'm reminded of 1976: Ford vs. Carter.  New York often voted Republican in those days of more progressive Republicanism. Many of the now reliably blue states (California, Illinois, Oregon, Washington) voted for Ford. But NY voted for Carter. And you know why? This headline. Ford's refusal to help NYC during the terrible fiscal crisis of 1975 cost him the election. New York's 41 electoral votes went to Carter and gave him the election.  Carter carried only seven NY counties: Bronx, Brooklyn, New York (Manhattan), Queens, Sullivan, Erie (Buffalo), and Albany. New York's other 55 counties went for Ford, but it was not enough. (Abe and Carey in the headline refer to NYC Mayor Abe Beame; and NY Governor Hugh Carey, both Democrats).

If Trump persists in taunting Michigan, that might help Biden.

28veto_lg.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disab

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

One false movie in any of the bigger swing states can decide the election. I'm reminded of 1976: Ford vs. Carter.  New York often voted Republican in those days of more progressive Republicanism. Many of the now reliably blue states (California, Illinois, Oregon, Washington) voted for Ford. But NY voted for Carter. And you know why? This headline. Ford's refusal to help NYC during the terrible fiscal crisis of 1975 cost him the election. New York's 41 electoral votes went to Carter and gave him the election.  Carter carried only seven NY counties: Bronx, Brooklyn, New York (Manhattan), Queens, Sullivan, Erie (Buffalo), and Albany. New York's other 55 counties went for Ford, but it was not enough. (Abe and Carey in the headline refer to NYC Mayor Abe Beame; and NY Governor Hugh Carey, both Democrats).

If Trump persists in taunting Michigan, that might help Biden.

28veto_lg.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disab

Good point;  Politics still is mostly 'local' even in this age of Trump  (ah,,   age of Trump,,   that is making me gag,   so lets end it!!!).

Gov. Whitmir will have to explain why she did not fix the dams in the first place.

10 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Gov. Whitmir will have to explain why she did not fix the dams in the first place.

She has only been the Governor since January 1st 2019.     I don't see how one can really say she should have fixed the dams in the first place.

She has been a state representative and Senator for a long time:    If there were bills to fix these dams that she didn't vote for maybe that could be held against her.

Also,  Trump is saying he will withhold funds to the state due to the move to vote-by-mail.   I would assume that would upset more Michigan voters than any lack of action taken by the governor over dams.      I.e. I can't see the selection of Whitmir hurting Biden in the state verses her helping Biden.   But hey a  .23% margin makes it anyone's game!!

PS:  Oh,  and welcome back.   I hope you were not in a VA hospital.      With Trump and this admin and their understanding of medical care you might have been subject to bloodletting.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I hope you were not in a VA hospital.        No.

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

The Speaker of the House is the only National representative of the federal government who speaks the truth.

20 minutes ago, jakeem said:

17 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Black female Mayors blast trump for his lack of leadership and divisive racist comments.