Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Holiday in Mexico" (1946)

I watched it--the story is a trifle, but I just watch for the music {Jane Powell--Ilona Massey}

and the gorgeous Technicolor photography and a breathtaking close-up of Miss Massey

wearing a lace shall--Roddy McDowell was wasted--why did men plaster their hair down with pounds of water? and How about Jose' Iturbi playing Chopins' Polynaisse? I got a kick out of Powell trying to look older and piling on the make-up.

Didn't catch it this morning - but it's one of my favorites - book-ended as it is by little Miss P belting out a gloriously pyro-technic "Italian Street Song" at the beginning and wrapping things up with an over-the-top but visually and vocally sublime "Ave Maria".

• 4 months later...

Frankly, I don't understand why this magnificent musical has not had its day on DVD. The music is extraordinary. The plot is - well, middle of the road - but Jane Powell outshines it with one breathtakingly beautiful aria or pop tune after the next.

I LOVE Jane Powell movies and this one certainly put her on top. When she sings Ave Maria I get goose bumps. I've written Warner Home Video several times asking for this release. The more people that write in the more likely we'll see it on DVD sooner rather than later.

Send your comments and requests to:

Warner Home Video

4000 Warner Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91522

818-954-6000

Web site: http://www.warnervideo.com

DVD/Video Help: http://www2.warnerbros