Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Article: Inside Cary Grant's Secret Life With Men.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Came across it in the Off Topic forum, was imbedded in another link The Week.  Thought it may be interesting to some.

Inside Cary Grant's Secret Life With Men

https://nypost.com/2016/08/08/inside-cary-grants-secret-life-with-men/

carygrantandrandolphscott.jpg?quality=90

What secret?

Everybody knows about this.

These kind of articles are for the general public - - what I call the lay people who are uninitiated in Classic Movies and/or the Golden Age of Hollywood.

In this article they're talking about the man who dressed Bette Davis. On this website, I don't even have to mention his name everybody knows who he is.

Old stuff, but some interesting gossip, probably, to some people in the General Public.

By the way didn't Bette Davis always look good, particularly in Now Voyager.  I think Orry-Kelly outdid himself on that one.

And I could say that he deserves recognition alongside of Travis Banton and Adrian.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

What secret?

Everybody knows about this.

These kind of articles are for the general public - - what I call the lay people who are uninitiated in Classic Movies and/or the Golden Age of Hollywood.

In this article they're talking about the man who dressed Bette Davis. On this website, I don't even have to mention his name everybody knows who he is.

Old stuff, but some interesting gossip, probably, to some people in the General Public.

By the way didn't Bette Davis always look good, particularly in Now Voyager.  I think Orry-Kelly outdid himself on that one.

And I could say that he deserves recognition alongside of Travis Banton and Adrian.

Agree. It's hardly earth-shattering news. Though these articles (and Kelly's book) prevent people like Grant's daughter from denying he was bisexual (not that she has, but if she ever tried to say her father was completely heterosexual most people wouldn't believe it now). His "secret" life is very much out in the open at this point.

The one new piece of info for me was about Randolph Scott's suicide attempt. I hadn't heard about that before. Very sad. I think he and Grant were living together again in the 60s after Grant finally divorced Betsy Drake, but that wasn't in this article.

When I think of Orry-Kelly I always think of Kay Francis. She wore some fashionably outrageous stuff in her 30s melodramas at Warners. Or should I say outrageously fashionable.

Screen shot 2017-11-23 at 2.41.02 PM.png

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Agree. It's hardly earth-shattering news. Though these articles (and Kelly's book) prevent people like Grant's daughter from denying he was bisexual (not that she has, but if she ever tried to say her father was completely heterosexual most people wouldn't believe it now). His "secret" life is very much out in the open at this point.

The one new piece of info for me was about Randolph Scott's suicide attempt. I hadn't heard about that before. Very sad. I think he and Grant were living together again in the 60s after Grant finally divorced Betsy Drake, but that wasn't in this article.

When I think of Orry-Kelly I always think of Kay Francis. She wore some fashionably outrageous stuff in her 30s melodramas at Warners. Or should I say outrageously fashionable.

Screen shot 2017-11-23 at 2.41.02 PM.png

Top Billed--

Whenever I see Kay Francis, it makes me think of my mother.

When I was growing up, I was always watching the old movies on The Late Show and I thought I knew every old movie star there was.

But my mother,  who grew up during the 1930s, was always waxing eloquent about Kay Francis.

Kay Francis was her favorite movie star yada yada yada and she was the most elegantly dressed star-- my mother was a clotheshorse.

Well, I can remember being 10 or so and telling my mother that if this " Kay Francis " was such a big star in Hollywood in the 1930s, then how come I never saw any of her movies listed,  alongside of 

Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, Jean Harlow, Constance Bennett, Jeanette MacDonald, Ginger Rogers, Irene Dunne, Katharine Hepburn,  Claudette Colbert et al. On The Late Show?

Well, she couldn't answer me. So I just ignored her opinion. But I guess the answer is they simply didn't have pre- code in the package for television viewing.

So, I guess I owe my mother and all the other Kay Francis fans an apology. LOL

BTW-- Have you ever wondered why someone with no Musical/Dance or Comedic Support Talent,

like Randolph Scott, was in two major Fred Astaire- Ginger Rogers movies?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Top Billed--

Whenever I see Kay Francis it makes me think of my mother.

When I was growing up I was always watching the old movies on The Late Show and I thought I knew every old movie star there was.

But my mother  who grew up during the 1930s, was always waxing eloquent about Kay Francis.

Kay Francis was her favorite movie star yada yada yada and she was the most elegantly dressed star-- my mother was a clotheshorse.

Well, I can remember being 10 or so and telling my mother that if this Kay Francis was such a big star in Hollywood in the 1930s, then how come I never saw any of her movies listed,  alongside of  Bette Davis, Ginger Rogers, Irene Dunne, Katharine Hepburn,  Claudette Colbert et al. On The Late Show?

Well, she couldn't answer me. So I just ignored her opinion. But I guess the answer is they simply didn't have pre- code in the package for television viewing.

BTW-- Have you ever wondered why someone with no Musical/Dance or Comedic Support Talent,

He was the male eye candy in those films. He was the lead in HIGH WIDE AND HANDSOME a Paramount musical in the 30s with Irene Dunne. And yes, he doesn't sing a note in it. He worked better in westerns.

• Like 1

I don't think that sort of thing was all that rare in Hollywood.  Then OR now.  And not only the men.

And to answer PRINCESS about Bette Davis-----

No.  She didn't always look good.  Not after a certain point I guess.  I never thought that she was all that attractive in many of the movies I saw of hers when coming up over the years. I always thought she was an excellent actress, but nowhere near anything that can be considered a "beauty".  But then one day some many years back I finally saw OF HUMAN BONDAGE, and discovered that early on, she WAS kinda cute. 

Sepiatone

56 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't think that sort of thing was all that rare in Hollywood.  Then OR now.  And not only the men.

And to answer PRINCESS about Bette Davis-----

No.  She didn't always look good.  Not after a certain point I guess.  I never thought that she was all that attractive in many of the movies I saw of hers when coming up over the years. I always thought she was an excellent actress, but nowhere near anything that can be considered a "beauty".  But then one day some many years back I finally saw OF HUMAN BONDAGE, and discovered that early on, she WAS kinda cute. 

Sepiatone

Bette wasn't overly concerned about her looks in many movies - she was an actress, willing to look however the role required.  If you want to see glamour Bette, watch FASHIONS OF 1934 if TCM ever shows it (now called just FASHIONS) with William Powell.  Her hair is very blonde and she's wearing plenty of eye makeup.  I think she was pretty but not beautiful in the conventional Hollywood way.  I thought she looked great and had wonderful hair and clothes in ALL ABOUT EVE.

• Like 2

I guess Cary Grant's "secret" life isn't so secret nowadays.  He had plenty of wives and male "friendships" and took LSD to better understand himself.  He was so handsome it's easy to see his attraction to both sexes (Randolph Scott isn't too hard on the eyes, either, and it seems like most of the photos I see of the two of them together they're always both bare chested). 

I wish he hadn't been so tight with money but I imagine growing up poor that was the way he was.  

As a guy, I never thought of Randolph Scott as being "good looking".  Just average.  But a guy doesn't have to be gay or "bi" to recognize good looks in other men.  

And I never got Scott's appeal as a Western "star".  To me he always looked like an encyclopedia salesman going to a costume party.  And oddly enough, JIMMY STEWART to me looked more suited for Westerns than Scott.

And BTW----growing up poor can have two polar opposite effects.......Many DO grow to be "tight-fisted" with money, and there's others who, when more prosperous, will gladly spend money to enjoy a better lifestyle than they grew up with.  Two good examples were my ex Father-in-law and my Mother and Grandmother.

When my ex F-I-L died they found THREE bankbooks totaling more than $300,000 in total assets.  Yet the guy always seemed to live like he was only making a minimum-wage income.  Whereas both my Grandma and Mom didn't mind putting out the bucks for something (furniture, appliances and the like) they thought would last longer and had more quality than the cheaper alternatives.  OK. done "derailing".  

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Top Billed--

Whenever I see Kay Francis, it makes me think of my mother.

When I was growing up, I was always watching the old movies on The Late Show and I thought I knew every old movie star there was.

But my mother,  who grew up during the 1930s, was always waxing eloquent about Kay Francis.

Well, I can remember being 10 or so and telling my mother that if this " Kay Francis " was such a big star in Hollywood in the 1930s, then how come I never saw any of her movies listed,  alongside of 

Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, Jean Harlow, Constance Bennett, Jeanette MacDonald, Ginger Rogers, Irene Dunne, Katharine Hepburn,  Claudette Colbert et al. On The Late Show?

Never even heard of Scott's suicide attempt either. it's a good (***) but not a graat special if you have DEMAND on your cable, think you  can easily locate it

Bascally it says  all this off-the-wall behavior started mum & there long before-(according to this docu & other items too) with the way his mother treated him as a child

& not enough clips either

DOES ANYONE REMBER WHO THE OTHE HOLLYWOOD GIANT DURING THAT ERA THAT TOOK LSD???

Just now, spence said:

Never even heard of Scott's suicide attempt either. it's a good (***) but not a graat special if you have DEMAND on your cable, think you  can easily locate it

Basically it says  all this off-the-wall behavior started mum & there long before-(according to this docu & other items too) with the way his mother treated him as a child

& not enough clips either

But Kay Francis personally always bored me buddy   SORRY!

Just now, spence said:

DOES ANYONE REMBER WHO THE OTHE HOLLYWOOD GIANT DURING THAT ERA THAT TOOK LSD???

Speaking of this subject, I've always wondered what Mel Brooks' opinion of Cary's sexuality would be?

Why Mel Brooks you ask?! Okay, I'll explain...

I remember years ago Mel sitting with Johnny Carson on the old Tonight Show and telling a story about first meeting Cary on a movie studio lot back in the late-'60s. During this first meeting Cary asked him if he'd like to have lunch with him at that studio's commissary, and Mel said he jumped at the chance. I mean, who WOULDN'T be honored to lunch with Cary Grant if asked, RIGHT?!

Well, evidently this would go on for a few more days and with Cary always contacting Mel with this invitation.

It seemed by the third or fourth day in a row of this happening though, Mel started getting a little bored with the idea, and so he ended up telling his secretary that IF the phone rang and it was Cary, to tell him that he wasn't in.

(...and so after hearing this story, I always wondered if this was Mel being uncharacteristically subtle and coy in attempting to suggest something more was implied with his story than just him becoming bored with the whole idea of having lunch with the big movie star)

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...and so after hearing this story, I always wondered if this was Mel being uncharacteristically subtle and coy in attempting to suggest something more was implied with his story than just him becoming bored with the whole idea of having lunch with the big movie star)

Either that or maybe Mel was getting tired of always getting stuck with the bill. ;)

Kirk Douglas told a story of an encounter with Errol Flynn when they went dining together (I think it might have been on location in New Mexico when Kirk was making Ace in the Hole and Errol was filming Rocky Mountain).

Douglas said they had a meal at a fine restaurant, and it quickly became apparent that Flynn was something of a gourmet who also ordered the finest French wines. It was a good time but when the waiter showed up at the table with the bill Errol handed it over to Kirk with the words, something to the effect, "I wouldn't dream of depriving you of the pleasure of being the host." Douglas paid, a little amazed by the combination of charm and audacity coming from Flynn.

Good ol' Errol (with a rep as a bit of a tight wad when it came to others) stuck it to Douglas the way he liked to stick it to Warner Brothers. Could it be the same way when Cary Grant went dining with others, as well? I believe I've read that Grant could be pretty frugal with a penny.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, spence said:

But Kay Francis personally always bored me buddy   SORRY!

Never really gave it much thought, but back during the late '80'sd "Premiere magazine" head an article on "Being Gay, Hollywoods Most 0penm secret"

& *Spacey was among them, this before his 2*Academy Awards too. John Gielgud & I 4-get the handful of others

& believe it or not ever since the tremendous 1986 *"platoon" (Dafoe has had many ru,mors too)

Well J. Edgar Hoover himself was actually well known to wear a dress around his house!

Raymond Burr-(broke NATALIE'S heart!)

Clifton Webb

Roddy McDowell

Many still insist Valentino was a bisexual. Matter of fact a newspaperman said so in the press & Rudolph challenged him to a boxing match, but Rudy won after all

Of course Rock Hudson, Tony Randall & Anthony Perkins-(who lead a huge double life in sneaking out every night), Some rumors for decades have even said this of *Laurence 0lkivier?