Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PEG O' MY HEART (1923)

radiotelefonia

Jorge,

No, As far as I am aware TCM has only run the sound remake with Marion Davies? I had never even heard of this earlier version, until you brought it up! Or if I had, maybe I forgot about it? And Directed by King Vidor too! The print looks like it is in beautiful condition based on these still captures?

Guys, does this Laurette Taylor film exist? Taylor was a huge stage star and PEG O MY HEART was one of her biggest hits. She made a rare film appearance..... The Marion Davies talkie version is, in my opinion, Davies' best performance in a talkie..... wonderful film.

Ed,

Yes, it seems that this movie does indeed still exist, because that's what this post is about! Certainly news to me as well! Evidentially, this film has been shown on one of the other versions of TCM around the world?

Why some of these Silent's such as this one, Lillain Gish's THE WHITE SISTER, Chaney's THE BLACKBIRD, and Alice Terry's CONFESSIONS OF A QUEEN, Etc, have aired elsewhere, but apparently not yet in the United States I have no idea?

I think snippets of the film remain, not the entire film.

Rick McKay in his Broadway the Golden Age found some brief scenes of Taylor on film but even he said in the commentary that not much of her film work in its entirety survives.

OK I found this on the Silent Era wesbite...PRINT EXISTS....

Peg o? My Heart

(1922) American

B&W : Six reels

Directed by King Vidor

Cast: Laurette Taylor

Metro Pictures Corporation production; distributed by Metro Pictures Corporation. / From a play by J. Hartley Manners. Cinematography by George Barnes. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. / Taylor?s film debut.

Drama.

Survival Status: Print exists.

Keywords: Irish - United Kingdom: England

Listing updated: 14 November 2004.

This was actually shown on television in 1977 or 1978 as part of a series called "lost and found", which was presented by Richard Shickel. Some of these films became commonly seen, such as CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS (1935), but others, like this one came and were locked up in their respective vaults once more.

I don't know if the showing 30 years ago means a lot, and if you're any sort of fan, or if you're old enough, you'll realise that outside of Killiam's weary public domain two dozen "classics", silent films are more or less purged from broadcast TV throughout the world. TCM's showing of unusual or run of the mill silents is the last outpost.

Yes TCM, a few small companies, film festivals, and museum vaults are the only places left for silents.... that why we have a circle of private collectors who keep an eye out for what's in private collections....

It is simply terrific that we have friends from mostly Spain and Argentina, but also France, Germany and Italy, that are providing access to many of these films... and viceversa.

The issue are when the DVD publishers charge more money than they would for their conventional releases. I know that classic film has more value than contemporary productions. But the newest films are more expensive to produce, more expensive to preserve, more expensive to publish... yet they can be extremely cheaper.

But I don't have to runt about this (I sold videos myself, and classics in particular, ten years ago).

In the case of PEG O' MY HEART, I suppose that the video is from the French TCM. In any case, we will get it, as we did get THE BLACKBIRD (from Spain TCM) with the score written in 2005 by Robert Israel.

Jorge,

The Marion Davies poster is great! Huh, A CD of the PEG O' MY HEART Score? Where on earth did that come from? Who is it by?

Maybe you could also manage to find the CD released by Faber Music in the UK of Carl Davis score to Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN? As you may know, the Davis arrangement was passed up by the HL Trust on the official New Line Entertainment DVD release, and subsequently replaced with a Robert Israel one instead? I have never heard the Davis score, but I have long been curious about it? Despite not appearing on the domestic DVD, a CD was released in Britain with Carl Davis score for the film!

as I said, the Marion Davies version of PEG O MY HEART is terrific... her best talkie... Hearst campaigned for Davies to win an Oscar nomination for PEG but in 1933 there were only 3 best actress nominees... Lynn Fontanne for THE GUARSDMAN, Marie Dressler for EMMA, and Helen Hayes for THE SIN OF MADELON CLAUDET... if there had been 5 nominees perhaps Davies would have been nominated and her entire repitation would be different now.... She's just marvelous in the film... and 'Sweetheart, Darlin'" was a hit song from the film...

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it again and loved it..... what a sweet old-fashioned film..... J. Farrell McDonald is terrific as the father and Onslow Stevens is awfully good as Gerald....

Ed,

Have you seen RILEY THE COP (1928) yet. with J. Farrell McDonald, opposite Louise Fazenda. Very funny, charming, and underrated film, that should have been included in the FORD AT FOX Silents set. A much better choice than JUST PALS, if you ask me!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings