Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it crazy to own so many movies?

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ultra High Definition aka UHD aka 4K is different from HD aka Blu-Ray, which are generally 1080. Some are made with a 2K or 4K master, but only the 1080 will appear on an HD TV. I do not have, nor am I currently planning, on switching again to 4K.

So what are they calling the transportable 2-4k medium that can be fully visualized with a high end 2-4k monitor these days?
I thought they were using layered Blu-ray technology allowing like 20+ GB per disc?
Whatever it is, I don't have it, nor can I see myself rushing out to acquire it (medium or monitor's).
My largest monitor is still a 720p, and the one I use on the road is a 1080 HD.
So far (with my eyes) my 360p transfers look good enough for my enjoyment.
Some of my favorites I have repurchased as upgraded HD remasters, when available and/or on sale. But the vast majority of what I have is on standard DVDs, or converted from either VHS tape or transferred from DVR. 
I'm actually kind of scared to spoil myself with any of the latest and greatest tech, as I don't want to be dissatisfied with what I already have, which is substantial.

I'm old enough to remember the times when the only ways to view something when you wished to, was on a horrendously expensive VHS, Betamax or V2000 tape & then only if the title was actually available. Otherwise you were dependent on cinema & broadcast TV release cycles. This tended to encourage a grab it while you can mentality, once home media started to become affordable. Then I got into Laserdiscs & discovered the advantages of higher resolution & not having to rewind tapes. Given that these often had limited production runs, especially when you discovered all the interesting imports you could get from Japan, further encouraged the accumulation of video products.

Then DVD arrived & the same thing happened all over again...

Whilst streaming & the net now provide additional avenues to satisfy one's immediate gratification requirements for video viewing, I still prefer to have something physical that I can choose to watch when I choose to, rather than being dependent on finding it on some streaming service, or waiting for it to turn up on broadcast/cable TV.

So, yeah - lots of video tapes, LDs, DVDs & BDs around my place...

:)

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

So what are they calling the transportable 2-4k medium that can be fully visualized with a high end 2-4k monitor these days?

4k is the latest thing. It's called 4K or UHD/Ultra HD. It would require me to buy yet another TV and disc player, as I have an HD/1080p TV, which is what standard Blu-Ray's are made for.

4K/ UHD cases are usually black, as opposed to the blue cases on Blu-Ray's.

Notice the top line on this cover - it appears that they may call them 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray, which should only serve to confuse the issue further:

169937_large.jpg

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't think there's really much of a difference between the Blu Ray version and the DVD version, unless of course you're upgrading an older DVD to a newly restored film on Blu Ray.  I don't know much about the technical aspects of Blu Ray versus DVD, but I would agree that for most classic films, the Blu Ray really doesn't matter much.

Paramount had to sell Blu-ray to a baffled public when they started in '08, and with friends who didn't get the new distinction either, I thought Paramount's new Blu logo did a good job of describing it:

It actually took you a moment to realize you were watching SD DVD at first.

53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I do own Singin' in the Rain on Blu Ray, because I got it as part of the film's 60th Anniversary boxed set.  

I had the Singin' 60th boxset on Blu, but I gave it away since I already got the Warner box with Singin', Band Wagon, Calamity Jane and the original Kiss Me Kate 3D on Blu.  B)

On common video formats:

480i is the older "standard definition" format in the US.  The "i" at the end indicates that the complete picture is drawn in two separate scans:  the first scan for all odd lines, and the second scan for all even lines.  This helps with one's persistence of vision on older tube TVs.

480i, used on older analog TVs and also on current digital broadcast TV, is drawn at 30 frames per second, twice.  480p, used exclusively on digital media the other hand, is drawn at 60 frames per second, once.  The same comparison can be made for 1080i/1080p.

Out of the formats 1080i, 1080p, and 720p - 1080i and 720p use about the same amount of bandwidth.  1080p uses about twice the amount.  Between just 1080i and 720p - 1080i looks a bit more detailed, 720p shows motion a bit more smoothly.  Sports stations tend to use 720p.

2K is roughly similar to 1080p (but not the same thing).  One is measured horizontally for the cinema, the other vertically for consumer market.  Blu-ray will be the consumer medium for 1080p.  2K is a common resolution for the smaller digital theaters in cinema megaplexes.

4K would be roughly similar in size to 2160p.  Hard disc drives are the most common means of storage, most often using a specially keyed copy of the movie on the projector's HDD, along with a hardware key on the 4K projector itself (to prevent piracy).  That is the common size for medium and larger screens in cinema megaplexes.  [Lawrence, I didn't realize there is now a consumer optical disc version for 4K.  I wouldn't expect 4K discs to go beyond being a boutique item in the consumer market though - especially as it relates to classic films.]

8K would be roughly like 4320p.  It is currently used on some digital cinema cameras and in digital cinema editing suites.  Movies that are shot in 4K are commonly edited in 8K too, then projected in 4K.  Again, hard disc drive storage is what is used.  There may be some 8K cinemas out there, I just haven't been looking for them.

• Thanks 1