Find results in...

More movies to discuss -Mr. Deeds American Madness, She, House by the River

dsclassic

These are more titles I am looking to rent for the New Year

Mr Deeds Comes to Town

American Madness

She

House by the River

I am considering getting the Frank Capra set - I like Mr Smith and also It Happened One Night, You cant take it with you I am indifferent on, the other 2 are the last ones of the set I need to watch which are Mr Deeds and American Madness

She - 1932 version because this is a restored print, and haven't ever seen this before either, it looks intriguing

House by the River - Fritz Lang movie that also looks interesting

Anyone have any comments about this quartet of movies ? :)

I have the Frank Capra set and it not only comes with 5 of the best classic films ever made, it also comes with a sweet book. I love this set so much that I even took it with me on the train to CT for the holidays. While on the Amtrack for 3.5 days each way, I let this woman sitting across from me, who is a TCM fan, watch It Happened One Night. She asked me for a good film that was funny and this was the first I thought of that I had on me. Anyway, American Madness is an amazing movie and like all of Capra's films, is an important depiction of America. Mr. Deeds I think is one of the most important films ever made. The remake with Adam Sandler is an absolute disgrace to the Capra version. This is another one of Capra's important films.

The set includes:

It Happened One Night,

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

American Madness

Mr. Deeds goes to Town

and

You Can't take it with you.

All of these films are amazing and these films are only available in this box set.

I have never seen the other 2 movies you mention but I highly recommend that Frank Capra set. It is an essential.

-

kim

It Happened One Night,

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

American Madness

Mr. Deeds goes to Town

and

You Can't take it with you.

All of these films are amazing and these films are only available in this box set.

Only AMERICAN MADNESS is available only as part of the set; the rest have been available for years as single discs.

AMERICAN MADNESS is an excellent film. It's themes are similar to Capra's later film IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. The montage dealing with the amount of money missing from the bank which leads to a run on the bank is excellent. I am unfamilure with the 1932 version of SHE. I have seen RKO's 1935 filming of it, and it is a good version.

What I find interesting in American Madness is in the opening when the tellers are arriving at the bank and they open the main safe. In his early features, Capra would include these film snippets of technology (the action of the safe's locks). Have you ever seen Dirigible? They capture a take-off and docking very technically.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings