Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
docterminal

The MacKintosh Man missing scene

Hi, I'm new to the forum and tried posting this over a month ago but was unable to successfully login at the time. Now that the problem appears fixed I wanted to share something that I noticed during TCM's airing of The MacKintosh Man.

In TCM's broadcast, the film was missing an extension of the pool scene in Malta with MacKintosh(played by Paul Newman) and Mrs. Smith(Dominique Sanda). I have the movie on tape from when it aired on TNT years ago and in that version Mrs. Smith goes into some detail about her parents' activity during the war then dissolves to the two of them sunbathing.

It happens to be one of my favorite scenes because it sheds more light on the reserved Mrs. Smith, shows a bit of closeness between the characters and how the two are not really satisfied unless they're on the job.

I was curious why this scene, which runs about a minute, was missing from the print. I also don't want to see this missing from any future DVD release, if and when it occurs. Here's hoping it gets released intact with a cleaned up print and audio track that hopefully improves on some of the muddled sounding dialogue.

Oops, made a little mistake. Newman's character is Rearden who is the Mackintosh Man. Mackintosh himself is Mrs. Smith's father. Anyway, that's what I get for posting late.