Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I really, really, really didn't like that movie. But I realize that I'm in the minority on that.

What about it didn't you like in particular?

images-w1400.jpg?1496240630

Screenshot_20160515-2153552-copy.jpg

Deadly Circuit (1983) Claude Miller, France

A tad confused but still amusing.  Michel Serrault plays a detective on the trail of bluebeardess, Isabelle Adjani.  Good cast.

• Like 1

cestarrivepresdechezvous.JPG

Man Bites Dog (1992) Rémy Belvaux , André Bonzel, Benoît Poelvoorde, Belgium - 9/10- A mockumentary about a camera crew who follow around a violent highwayman/ serial killer as he robs people, murders them and commits rapes. This one is about how the news media sensationalizes violence. It was really, really violent and graphic. Recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LE TEMPS DES NABABS 2019   416 MINUTES  8 PART TV SERIES BY FRENCH TV

Amazing documentary on French cinema from the late 30's to mid 70's.Nabab is the equivalent in French slang France-only-not in Quebec!-for movie moguls.It is only with producers  how they got the $ for financing,hired directors,you see many official contracts  with details you do not see anywhere,super interesting I do not know if subtitles will be available but a fabulous  series.10/10

nabab.jpg

• Like 1

RIDICULE 1996 by Patrice Leconte

Very good comedy set in 1790's in France about the usage of wit in the King's Court. With Fanny Ardant,Jean Rochefort,Berbard Giraudeau. 8/10

ridicule.jpg

• Like 2

UNE AFFAIRE D'HOMMES 1981 by Nicolas Ribowski with Claude Brasseur,Jean Louis Trintignant. Original crime story.Cop investigate serial killer.7.5/10

afaire.jpg

• Like 1

L'ETOILE DU NORD 1982 by Pierre Granier Deferre with Philippe Noiret,Simone Signoret,Fanny Cottencon.Set in 1934 Belgium,starting in Egypt,a troubled murderer goes into a rooming house.Very good acting,nice period sets. 7.5/10

etoile.jpg

• Like 2

UN MILLIARD DANS UN BILLARD 1965  by Nicolas Gessner aka Diamonds are brittle

Jean Seberg Elsa Martinelli Claude Rich.Average romantic comedy mixed with a major robbery.Main feature of the film is the stunning beauty of Jean Seberg -she does all her lines in French-Martinelli was dubbed. 6.5/10 for the film 9 for Jean Seberg's beauty.

SEBERG.jpg

• Like 1

AU BONHEUR DES DAMES 1943 AKA SHOP GIRLS OFPARIS by André Cayatte based on the book by Emile Zola.

Michel Simon,Suzy Prim and with Jean Tissier giving a great supporting performance,Simon as usual is great.Set in late 19th century Paris the battle of a small store owner against a bigger one developing into a huge one,similar to Harrods-well the store look like it,but it was another name like Bon Marché.Anyway a very good film with a story line not unfamiliar since the last century.8/10

simon.jpg

• Like 2

and I’ve also seen …

MV5BYmY4N2RmNmMtNWZjOS00ZDQ1LWE3MzAtMDY3

La Muerte del Chacal (1984) Pedro Galindo, Mexico

Mexican slasher film.  Just dreadful and the plot is like Swiss cheese.

• Like 1

and I’ve also seen …

opera_eyes_wide_open.png

Opera (1987) Dario Argento, Italy

Some good terror set pieces in this gallo but boy does it stretch credulity to get there.  If you are annoyed by characters who do dumb things in order to get themselves killed you won’t like this either.

The picture comes from bloodydisgusting.com 😄

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I love that movie! Yeah, it's goofy, but I liked the needles-taped-under-the-eyes bit, and if I recall, it had a shocking neck stabbing, too.

It was incredibly stylish, I gave it that. 😄

I like that one too. Argento is pretty good, even though the characters aren't always the brightest. :lol: I rewatched Deep Red and liked it more too. Just wasn't in the mood for it the first time.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, LawrenceA said:

I love that movie! Yeah, it's goofy, but I liked the needles-taped-under-the-eyes bit, and if I recall, it had a shocking neck stabbing, too.

My favorite Argento stabbing is that one from the beginning of Suspiria where she is stabbed right in the heart and you even see a giant hole. :o 

and I’ve also seen …

header.jpg

Il Mostro (1994)  Roberto Benigni, Italy

I think I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than to watch this again.

• Haha 1

I love Down by Law but his slapsticky foreign humor gets really grating after a while.

MV5BMWFmYWRkZGUtODVmOC00ZTk0LTg1NzctZDhk

6.  Hitokiri (1969) Hideo Gosha, Japan

Shintaro Katsu, of Zatoichi fame pulls out all of the stops in this graphic action packed tale of a ronin who is only too anxious to take on hit job after hit job for his stoic master played by Tatsuya Nakadai.  Katsu really goes for it in this one.  Recommended.

• Like 1

MV5BOGQ4ZDE1MjEtNGRkMS00ZGJmLTk3ZTYtZGU2

Virgins of Bali (1932) Deane H. Dickason, Bali/ USA - 6/10-  Travelouge that follows a Balinese family as they go through daily life. Crio and Tagel are sisters admired by the local men and one man kidnaps Crio in a native marriage ritual (where if you want a woman you just steal her and hope to not get caught!) This one is another goona goona film with a lot of nudity and a sensationalized look in to the life of the native Balinese people. A decent glimpse of long gone traditions of Bali. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ziva Postec. The Editor Behind the Film Shoah 2018

She worked with JP Melville,Orson Welles among orthers,she worked close to 6 years on Shoah,this is her journey.Canadian film in French st are available I guess ,I listed the English title.Excellent.

ziva.jpg

L' ATTENTAT  by Yves Boisset 1972.Excellent political thriller with stellar cast:J.L.Trintignant,Jean Seberg,Michel Piccoli,Philippe Noiret,RoyScheider,Nigel Davenport,etc. 8/10

attentat.jpg

LE BRUIT DES GLACONS by Bertrand Blier aka The Clink of ice.2010.Jean Dujardin,Anne Alvaro-she won Cesar for best supporting actress for her role.Very good original comedy.An alcoholic & separated  writer get his life upside down when a man knock on his door,telling him he is his cancer.

bruit.jpg

and I’ve also seen ….

MV5BZDQ5YjNhYmMtNDk3Yy00YzgwLWEwMzYtYzdj

Wolmi Island (1982) Gyong-sun Cho, North Korea

Pure propaganda piece about four gunnery crews on Wolmi Island who happily sacrifice themselves by blowing up MacArthur’s fleet when he invades Inchon.  I don’t think a single model ship escaped being blown up.  There are even a couple of merry songs.  Sadly it is not quite cheesy enough to be funny.  But the post sync work was excellent.

• Like 1

51VQE4GDD4L._AC_SY445_.jpg

East Side Story (1997) Dana Ranga, Germany - 7/10- Documentary on the musicals created during the Eastern Bloc (particularly in the USSR and East Germany/ DDR). I had already seen most of these so it was very interesting. Includes Russian and German language interviews with people who know Grigori Aleksandrov and also excerpts from his operetta style movies. Also interviews with German star Frankie Schobel ("Woher Willst du Wissen Wer Ich Bin"). An interesting doc. Recommended.

• Like 1

28790id_027_w1600_t800.jpg?90232451fbcad

7.  Dragon Inn (1967) King Hu, Hong Kong

Really good period Chinese sword and martial arts film.  Plays quite a lot like a spaghetti western which is not surprising as several suspense cues are lifted right from Ennio Morricone’s The Big Gundown (listen for the suspense strings interrupted by a tuba then followed by low piano notes then plucking/walking guitar).  Recommended.

• Like 2

I love that one. Feels very much like a Shaw Brothers film.