Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

MV5BMjk4ZWIwZGItYTNkNS00MmMxLWFiYTUtODgy

Swept Away (1974) Lina Wertmüller, Italy - 8/10- I really enjoyed this one despite the sad ending. A pompous rich capitalist woman and an angry Sicilian tankie who works for her on the cruise ship get lost at sea and end up on a deserted island where they must learn to cooperate. This one was very funny but also the main lead was very violent to the woman. She definitely deserved it for her evil behavior but I still think if this movie was made in 2020 they would have probably kept the more violent punches and kicks against the woman out of it. This whole movie I was reminded of a Qunatum Leap episode I saw where Sam ends up in a similar situation to this. I think this film is what the writers were referencing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

MV5BMjk4ZWIwZGItYTNkNS00MmMxLWFiYTUtODgy

Swept Away (1974) Lina Wertmüller, Italy - 8/10- I really enjoyed this one despite the sad ending. A pompous rich capitalist woman and an angry Sicilian tankie who works for her on the cruise ship get lost at sea and end up on a deserted island where they must learn to cooperate. This one was very funny but also the main lead was very violent to the woman. She definitely deserved it for her evil behavior but I still think if this movie was made in 2020 they would have probably kept the more violent punches and kicks against the woman out of it. This whole movie I was reminded of a Qunatum Leap episode I saw where Sam ends up in a similar situation to this. I think this film is what the writers were referencing.

I haven't seen it but I was curious as to how the violence was handled in the Guy Ritchie remake Swept Away (2002) with Madonna.  Miss M isn't the type to be pushed around by anyone.

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

This whole movie I was reminded of a Quantum Leap episode I saw where Sam ends up in a similar situation to this. I think this film is what the writers were referencing.

Having just finished watching the entire series of Quantum Leap on disc in the past couple of weeks, I can attest that roughly 85% of the entire series was comprised of marginal versions of old movies.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Having just finished watching the entire series of Quantum Leap on disc in the past couple of weeks, I can attest that roughly 85% of the entire series was comprised of marginal versions of old movies.

I once worked on a tv series and I mentioned to one of the actors that the story and characters were exactly like the movie The Professionals (1966).  The actor told me that the producer/writer boasted that he watched that film the night before he wrote the episode.

57 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The specific episode I was thinking of was "Leaping of the Shrew" btw.

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

The specific episode I was thinking of was "Leaping of the Shrew" btw.

With Brooke Shields guest starring, for that added Blue Lagoon reference.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Ivan the Terrible 

Breathless

Andrei Rublev

A lot of Bergman, Through a Glass, Darkly,  Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Autumn Sonata, Virgin Spring, The Passion of Anna

Bicycle Thieves

The Mirror

La Strada

The 400 Blows

Solaris

Alexander Nevsky 

La Notte 

Z

Rashomon

Ikiru 

Throne of Blood

M

Branded to Kill

The Emigrants and The New Land

• Like 1

The 2019 National Board of Review Best Foreign Language Film …

wp5264444.jpg

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

On 2/19/2020 at 4:18 AM, Gershwin fan said:

That sex scene with the fat German frau was really disgusting even if you don't see much

Wasn't there humor intended by that whole thing with the Frau? She was an SS guard in uniform and he was more or less doing what needed to be do to survive. I may off here, it's been forever since I've seen it.

8 hours ago, laffite said:

Wasn't there humor intended by that whole thing with the Frau? She was an SS guard in uniform and he was more or less doing what needed to be do to survive. I may off here, it's been forever since I've seen it.

Yes, it was both funny and gross. Shirley Stoler used to be pretty though.

Shirley-Stoler-Feet-1872150.jpg

amazon2.jpg

The 14 Amazons (1972), Kang Cheng, Shao-Yung Tung , Hong Kong [dubbed]- 6/10- After the men of the Yang family are killed by an invading army, the women decide to band together and get revenge. An enjoyable kung fu film though a bit goofy at times. The bridge falls down so the women form a human bridge by grabbing each other's arms and legs! Also the bad guys in this wear red suits with white trim that look a lot like Santa Claus' outfit to me. 

• Like 1

450_1000.jpg

5.  Cronicas (2004) Sebastian Cordero, Mexico

Superior thriller about a Spanish language news reporter out of Miami (John Leguizamo) who travels to Equador to cover the search for a child serial killer and rapist known as “the Monster of Babahoya.”  Damian Alcazar (above left) won the Best Actor Award in Mexico for his performance plays the main suspect.  Recommended.

• Like 3

The 2019 Broadcast Critics Best Picture and Best Foreign Film ….

417ef4ad46b9b18c80948042933ed687.jpg

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea ****

367b6fc8be91398d39dda394fe94bf65cc48634a

Atlantique (2019) Mati Doup, Senegal

LesMise.jpg

Les Miserables (2019) Ladj Ly, France

pain-glory-2019.jpg

Pain and Glory (2019) Pedro Almodovar, Spain

MV5BNjgwNjkwOWYtYmM3My00NzI1LTk5OGItYWY0

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) Celine Sciamma, France

x1080

Tired of Kissing Frogs (2006) Jore Colon, Mexico

A young woman finds out her boy friend is cheating on her so she dumps him and goes on an internet inspired dating rampage.  When she meets Mr. Right ye old 30’s Hollywood comic misunderstandings steps in.  You know, when one party sees the other with someone of the opposite sex and presumes the worst.  They take flight rather than straightening things out.

Pleasant enough but ultimately routine rom com.  The humour is on the silly side in what is otherwise supposed to be a believable movie.  Doses of over sentimentality in all too expected moments doesn’t help either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always find this strange when it happens.  A foreign film wins the best overall picture prize but fails even when nominated to win the foreign film award.  The London Critics did this in 2018 as well with Roma and Cold War.

The winner of the 2019 London Critics Circle Best Picture Award was ….

parasite-film-poster.jpg

The 2019 London Critics Circle Foreign Language Film Award ….

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) Celine Sciamma, France ****

monos-2019-06.jpg

Monos (2019) Alejandro Landes, Columbia

PainandGlory2.jpg

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

Witching-and-bitching.jpg

3.  Witching and ****ing (2013) Alex de la Iglesia, Spain

It begins with a good comic bang as thieves rob a jewelry pawn shop then flee the police.  Lots of bits had me laughing out loud!  Then as the title would suggest the thieves end up in the middle of a remote witches’ coven.  It might get a bit too ‘big’ toward the end when it struggles for a resolution but it was well worth seeing.  Terele Pavez (1939-2017) won the Goya Best Supporting Actress Award which was well deserved.

• Like 3

266554-women-of-the-resistance-0-230-0-3

Women of the Resistance (1965) Liliana Cavani, Italy - 5.5/10- early documentary film from the director of Night Porter. It was included as an extra on the Criterion DVD of the film. This documentary includes interviews with many partisan women who were imprisoned by the Fascists during WWII. Really sad and depressing stuff. It would be an interesting viewing with Night and Fog.

• Thanks 2

On 3/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Bogie56 said:

Witching-and-bitching.jpg

3.  Witching and ****ing (2013) Alex de la Iglesia, Spain

It begins with a good comic bang as thieves rob a jewelry pawn shop then flee the police.  Lots of bits had me laughing out loud!  Then as the title would suggest the thieves end up in the middle of a remote witches’ coven.  It might get a bit too ‘big’ toward the end when it struggles for a resolution but it was well worth seeing.  Terele Pavez (1939-2017) won the Goya Best Supporting Actress Award which was well deserved.

It is one of my favorite movies from Alex de la Iglesia. Terele Pávez is excellent.

• Like 1

The 2019 BAFTA Foreign Film Award included ….

62c15dd39fe5a8ca6c735b8a85c2f000.jpg

(also Best Picture nominee)

04861-1569326475682.jpg

The Farewell (2019) Lulu Wang, USA

722d2950af8e15e758fc39a45a06ed985a6f9693

For Sama (2019) Waad Al-Kateab, Hamza Al-Khateab, Sama Al-Khateab

painandglorytrailerposter.jpg?w=398

ESHiSo_X0AAluZO.jpg

the-tiger-blu-ray_film-review.jpg

6.  The Tiger: An Old Hunter’s Tale (2015) Hoon-jung Park, South Korea

Min-sik Choi plays an old mountain man whom the occupying Japanese wish to employ to hunt a man-eating tiger of monstrous proportions.  This tiger is the Jaws of the forest.  The film is so endearing you can forget the beyond-belief CGI and the fact that the tiger is up against the army that couldn’t shoot straight.  It gets a tad too drawn out toward the end but Min-sik Choi’s performance is worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

The 2019 Independent Spirit Best Foreign Film Award ….

1641182-b.jpg

Invisible_Life-348900798-large.jpg

Invisible Life (2019) Karim Ainouz, Brazil

los-miserables-critica-pelicula-15742504

Les Miserables (2019) Ladj Ly, France

81L36rLPoqL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Retablo-896515213-large.jpg

Retablo (2019) Alvaro Delgado Aparicio, Peru

These are my current 2019 foreign language films.  Some I mentioned a few months ago when we reviewed that year.

the-cave-documentary.jpg

1.  The Cave (2019) Feras Fayyad, Syria

Parasite-1170x468.jpg

2.  Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

71ed3650bfe14f814c6f2ef9d47fa986.jpg

3.  Bacurau (2019) Kleber Mendonca Filho, Juliano Dornelles, Brazil

I’m not going to say much about this as like, Parasite it would ruin the experience of seeing it for the first time.  Let’s just say that it takes place in a small rural Brazilian village and strange things start to happen.  I saw this at the BFI Southbank and it was a big crowd pleaser.

the-boy-who-harnessed-the-wind.jpg

4.  The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (2019) Chiwetel Eijofor, UK [the majority of this is in Malawian with subtitles]

resizedphoto-15.jpeg

5.  So Long, My Son (2019) Xiaoshuai Wang, China

A story about two couples and their only sons told over many years.  Wang employs flashbacks and flash forwards with little use for anchors that would normally help you keep up with the plot.  For me, it became a confused mess.  At three hours it does straighten itself out and the character development is a saving grace.

pain-and-glory-review.jpg

6.  Pain and Glory (2019) Pedro Almodovar, Spain

Other than the Frank Tashlin-like art direction and some of the performances I found this a bit of a bore.  Like I had seen it all before.

image.jpg

7.  The Farewell (2019) Lulu Wang, USA

Very one-note and repetitious.  I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about especially Awkwafina’s Golden Globe Best Actress award.

Cold-Portrait-of-a-Lady-on-Fire-Celine-S

8.  Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) Celine Sciamma, France

If this was simply a tale of unrequited love the filmmaker was being a bit too vague for me.  Nice photography though.

and I’ve also seen …

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR80BiUbCunK2MFbQaZSFY

I Lost My Body (2019) Jeremy Clapin, France

I really didn’t like this animated film which won an award at Cannes.  A severed hand escapes from a fridge and treks across the city looking to reunite with its body.  Meanwhile the story of the boy who lost his hand is told in flashback.

• Like 2

lightofasia.jpg?w=450&h=343

Light of Asia (1925) Franz Osten, Himanshu Rai, India - 6/10 -The epic story of the Buddha is retold here in this Indian silent film. The story of his competition against Devedatta, love for his wife and renouncing his princely riches to seek enlightenment. This movie is very orientalist and is a bit primitive as most films from colonial nations during this period are but it is a decent enough retelling and has nice costumes and sets. Not as impressive as Misumi's film on the Buddha but worth a watch.

• Like 1

uzn_1373358212.jpg

6.  The Sorceress (1956) Andre Michel, France

A French engineer arrives in remote Sweden to build a road and before long discovers a beautiful wild girl of the woods who is suspected of being a witch.  Enchanting may be the best word to describe this film.  It beat expectations for me.  The photography and music were joyful and the acting was surprisingly very good.  Sex kitten Marina Vlady plays the title character.  Recommended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1