Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

The winner of the 2019 Stockholm International Film Festival Best Picture Award was …

Song_Without_a_Name.jpg

Song Without a Name (2019) Melina Leon, Peru

• Thanks 1

and I’ve also seen …

SuccessiveSliding_Still_5.jpg

Successive Slidings of Pleasure (1974) Alain Robbe-Grillet, France

Incredibly pretentious.  It has lots of nudity with beautiful French starlets but handled in a bizarre non-erotic way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 2019 winner of the Hungarian Film Week Best Picture Award was …

MV5BNDlhODY5YTYtNWVhNC00NTk2LWE5NmMtYThk

Those Who Remained (2019) Barnabas Toth, Hungary

• Thanks 1

pagador.jpg

The Given Word aka Keeper of Promises (1962) Anselmo Duarte, Brazil - A simple farmer makes a pact with God that if his injured donkey is healed, the farmer will make a pilgrimage to the nearest city's large church, carrying a replica of Christ's cross. However, when the farmer arrives, the local priest refuses to let him enter, touching off an ever-growing controversy, with an opportunistic reporter fanning the flames.

Duarte exams the Catholic Church's uneasy relationship to the locals' unique blend of Catholicism and primitive spiritualism, and the conflict that occurs when the two clash. There's also a scathing indictment of cutthroat journalism and capitalist exploitation. Recommended.  (8/10)

• Like 2

d824e5f3b2c2acb17cc29be7a9579123.jpg?ito

Before the Revolution (1964) Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy - A young man grieves the loss of his friend, and begins a romance with his aunt. Much has been made of Bertolucci being only 22 when he wrote and directed this, and I suppose that's impressive. The film's visual style is compelling, but the plot is tedious and the characters are uninteresting. In that respect it shares a lot with French New Wave films of the period, most of which I'm not a fan of.   (6/10)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

A young man grieves the loss of his friend, and begins a romance with his aunt.

Sorry to bud in here, but this reminds of another of William Demarest's great lines from The Lady Eve:

"I knew a guy married the same dame three times, then turned around and married her aunt."

image-w1280.jpg?1481141633

The Valiant Ones (1975) King Hu, Hong Kong

Decent but nothing new Chinese period martial arts film.

• Like 1

0MoV3dQvriwpiafV80OBfTf_Xt0bpzKMClVYfxoE

Fat Girl (2001) France, Dir: Catherine Breillat - Chunky, awkward 12-year-old Anais and her much prettier older sister Elena struggle with their burgeoning sexuality. Breillat deploys her usual deliberately provocative shock moments mixed with tedium. I liked this more than her other films that I've seen (A Real Young GirlRomanceThe Last Mistress) but not by much.   (5/10)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and I’ve also seen …

51NCXV33GZL._SY445_.jpg

Moonlight Sword and Jade Lion (1977) Karl Liao, Taiwan

Double cheese please!   I should give this the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps this period martial arts film is for kids. Every thirty seconds or so a fight spontaneously erupts, usually no one gets hurt and then it ends just as inexplicably as it started.  This film also stole music from Morricone’s The Big Gundown.  It didn’t help any that I saw a dubbed version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

autopsy-of-a-ghost-19684.png

Autopsy of a Ghost  (1968) Mexico, Dir: Ismael Rodriguez - Lunatic slapstick comedy with the Devil (John Carradine) tormenting a goofy scientist named Moleculo (Cameron Mitchell). With Basil Rathbone (in his final film) as a ghost. The trio of movie stars from north of the border are all dubbed in Spanish. The pace is relentless, and the comedy bizarre enough to make me wonder if I may have taken peyote beforehand. Carradine seems to be having a lot of fun. I only wish I was.    (4/10)

• Like 4

The winner of the 2019 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best International Picture was …

MV5BZGRmZGIzYTMtODFlYi00NGJkLTg4YTgtNDNk

Fire Will Come (2019) Oliver Laxe, Spain

The winner of the 2019 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best Argentine Picture was …

MV5BNDEyODdmNTAtZmE2MS00NmE4LTg3MTMtZmFk

Angelica (2019) Delfina Castagnino, Argentina

Co-winners of the 2018 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best Latin Picture were ….

jbnSbruUqlrleZV2LZbu9aFTPVO.jpg

I Never Climbed the Provencia (2019) Ignacio Aguero, Chile

MV5BYzgzY2M2NDAtMDViNy00YzlkLWJjNDktODFl

The Fever (2019) Maya Da-Rin, Brazil

• Thanks 1

sFt5Lh.jpg

Firebird Daybreak Chapter (1978) Kon Ichikawa, Japan

This is a very weird film.  It takes place in Japan circa 180 A.D.  It begins as a rather violent One Million Years B.C. but then becomes The Never-ending Story with Batman like cartoons now and then and a really cheesy 70’s American tv movie score.  Try reading the film summary on the imdb and you will quickly get the idea. But it does star Tomisaburo Wakayama of Lone Wolf and Cub fame along with Tatsuya Nakadai and Mike Takamine.  For the curious.

• Like 2

The 2019 winner of the Cairo International Film Festival's Best Picture Award was …

MV5BZWY3ZGQyZmUtZjRiOC00ODFmLWI3YmMtOTQw

I’m No Longer Here (2019) Fernando Frias, Mexico

The 2019 winner of the Cairo International Film Festival's Best Arabic Picture Award was …

MV5BZGFlM2U3ZDItMDEzNC00YjhkLTkyMmUtMjY2

A Son (2019) Mehdi Barsaoui, Tunisia

• Thanks 1

tetsuo-1.jpg

Tetsuo the Iron Man (1989) Shin’ya Tsukamoto, Japan

Shin’ya was smoking some weird **** when he made this film.  A young man gradually turns into a steam punk pile of metal junk.  Outrageous, funny, violent and one-of-a-kind.  It becomes a tad one-note but thankfully it is only just 67 minutes long.

and I’ve also seen …

tetsuo-ii-body-hammer-1200-1200-675-675-

Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) Shin’ya Tsukamoto, Japan.

Perhaps if I had not seen the first instalment I would not have been so bored by this effort.  It made me wonder why I gave the first film a benefit of the doubt as this too is very much like an incoherent student movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CARTOUCHE 1962 by Phillipe De Broca with Jean Paul Belmondo Jean Rochefort  a breathtaking   Claudia  Cardinale and an excellent cast.Set in 18th century France, another exciting collaboration with Belmondo & De Broca,excellent snappy dialogie,great sets,great camera work,Belmondo is doing all the stunts...the best action adventure film since.....Robin Hood !  8.5 /10

cartouche.jpg

• Like 2

I had the good fortune to be dining in a restaurant one table over from Claudia Cardinale in Montreal about 1983.  The most beautiful woman I have ever seen.  I think she may have been there to pick up a lifetime achievement award at the festival.  Around that same time in Montreal I saw a film shoot of Once Upon a Time In America.  I wondered later if he might have been at the table with his back to me.

A close second would be Jacqueline Bisset who I saw in Mexico about six months later.  That was just for a minute or so.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I had the good fortune to be dining in a restaurant one table over from Claudia Cardinale in Montreal about 1983.  The most beautiful woman I have ever seen.  I think she may have been there to pick up a lifetime achievement award at the festival.  Around that same time in Montreal I saw a film shoot of Once Upon a Time In America.  I wondered later if he might have been at the table with his back to me.

A close second would be Jacqueline Bisset who I saw in Mexico about six months later.  That was just for a minute or so.

Lucky you,2 of my favorites, beautywise,i have no interest in the current leading ladies not a question of age simply they do not 'dégage' as the 'old' leading ladies imo.

As for your diner near CC she was filming up north and in Montreal with Lino Ventura in one of his last films,she came to the festival I think 5-6 years later for a movie she was in and directed by her boyfriend the movie got several prizes.I did not try to see her as i sweared to myself not to attend any Italian female movie star since Sophia Loren made or actually planned an appearance in a major big store and it got cancelled because of almost  'riot conditions'...My sister met Robert De Niro during the same filming you mention,she said he was a gentleman and respectful-my sister had incredible looks-and he did not play the usual casanova stuff,they shared a few drinks that's all.I did not had such a luck with a movie star,in the music business I have met rock stars galore,but in my days the 2 biz were not together very much.the closest I can remember is seeing Peter Boyle while I was going out from the Roxy in LA!!! The most striking woman or celebrity I have ever seen was Bianca Jagger in 1976 I was 20 years old,my summer job was working at the Olympics, Jagger showed up with his wife in tow -he had a pass but no tickets- I kept my cool as I knew he was in town the day before via the paper a big sports fan ,the Stones were my favorite band I took my Rolling Stones very seriously travelling to shows etc I took care of him for a whole week,Bianca is from Nicaragua was previously involved with Michael Caine at 19 she was 30 then.Believe me her beauty was incredible !Jagger was a classy guy,lots of fun ,I remember at the end of the 1st day-we had all a ridiculous outfit- he looked and found me to thank me for the seats and he came back everyday ...with a different woman and they were not from Montreal all very nice and well dressed !,He even showed up with Ahmet Ertegun the very important boss at Atlantic, since I knew who he was we had a great conversation..As for Bianca,the marriage then was on a ventilator but he never got a better woman intellectually and physically.

About Cartouche I will have to look at it again because Belmondo did a jaw dropping thing in the film  he was fighting 2 guys from behind I think  ! I have never seen anything like this-you would expect this in a cartoon, anyway,great film,sorry it is a bit long...all the best keep on posting

On 5/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, nakano said:

Lucky you,2 of my favorites, beautywise,i have no interest in the current leading ladies not a question of age simply they do not 'dégage' as the 'old' leading ladies imo.

As for your diner near CC she was filming up north and in Montreal with Lino Ventura in one of his last films,she came to the festival I think 5-6 years later for a movie she was in and directed by her boyfriend the movie got several prizes.I did not try to see her as i sweared to myself not to attend any Italian female movie star since Sophia Loren made or actually planned an appearance in a major big store and it got cancelled because of almost  'riot conditions'...My sister met Robert De Niro during the same filming you mention,she said he was a gentleman and respectful-my sister had incredible looks-and he did not play the usual casanova stuff,they shared a few drinks that's all.I did not had such a luck with a movie star,in the music business I have met rock stars galore,but in my days the 2 biz were not together very much.the closest I can remember is seeing Peter Boyle while I was going out from the Roxy in LA!!! The most striking woman or celebrity I have ever seen was Bianca Jagger in 1976 I was 20 years old,my summer job was working at the Olympics, Jagger showed up with his wife in tow -he had a pass but no tickets- I kept my cool as I knew he was in town the day before via the paper a big sports fan ,the Stones were my favorite band I took my Rolling Stones very seriously travelling to shows etc I took care of him for a whole week,Bianca is from Nicaragua was previously involved with Michael Caine at 19 she was 30 then.Believe me her beauty was incredible !Jagger was a classy guy,lots of fun ,I remember at the end of the 1st day-we had all a ridiculous outfit- he looked and found me to thank me for the seats and he came back everyday ...with a different woman and they were not from Montreal all very nice and well dressed !,He even showed up with Ahmet Ertegun the very important boss at Atlantic, since I knew who he was we had a great conversation..As for Bianca,the marriage then was on a ventilator but he never got a better woman intellectually and physically.

About Cartouche I will have to look at it again because Belmondo did a jaw dropping thing in the film  he was fighting 2 guys from behind I think  ! I have never seen anything like this-you would expect this in a cartoon, anyway,great film,sorry it is a bit long...all the best keep on posting

25261.jpg

07.jpg?1343135988&_ga=2.91945945.2137663

Speaking of Belmondo and stunts I did a mini review a while back of his Fear Over the City (1975) which has about a 15 minute chase scene, much of which is on those slippery Paris rooftops.  Incredible.

04.jpg?1343135988&_ga=2.97185884.2137663

• Like 1

I've watched a few foreign-language films recently, of varying quality:

505988162_640.jpg

Les Idoles  (1968) France, Dir: Marc'o - A rock trio named The Idols performs and pontificates about life and what it's all about, man. With Bulle Ogier, Pierre Clementi, and Jean-Pierre Kalfon. Jean Eustache was the editor. Very dated and corny, but not without some meager appeal for fans of the period.   (5/10)

Terra-em-Transe-web-2.jpg

Entranced Earth  (1967) Brazil, Dir: Glauber Rocha - Revolution in a fictional South American country leads a noted poet (Jardel Filho) to question his positions. This is a highly political arthouse experiment that hued a bit too much toward the pretentious for my tastes.   (6/10)

dEfP0HCsvxZLELFgJs8VJ2j1vZ4.jpg

Time of Indifference  (1964) Italy, Dir: Francesco Maselli - An aged Countess (Paulette Goddard in her final film) suffering financial trouble allows a sleazy rich guy (Rod Steiger) to paw at her daughter (Claudia Cardinale) in exchange for monetary support. Also featuring Shelley Winters, and Tomas Milian. The Americans are all dubbed into Italian which is jarring, and the pace is lethargic. Cardinale looks amazing, as usual.    (6/10) 

52163325_401.jpg

Gaav/The Cow  (1969) Iran, Dir: Dariush Mehrju - In a rural village, a cow belonging to a noted citizen dies while the man is out of town. The townsfolk bury the cow and fear telling him happened (he really liked this cow). This simple, low-fi tale offers a glimpse at rural Iranian life. I would have preferred seeing a sharper, clearer print, as the one I saw was washed-out and featured nearly-illegible subtitles. The Shah's government reportedly hated the film and tried to have it suppressed, while the Ayatollah Khomeini loved it, and it's said that this film was why the religious leader allowed the film industry to continue after the revolution.   (7/10)

879_3.jpg

El Norte  (1983) USA, Dir: Gregory Nava - A brother and sister make their way from Guatemala to the US in hopes of safety and a sustainable living, only to learn that the "promised land" of America has as many trials and tribulations as home. Nava's engrossing tale of the plight of Central Americans and the undocumented in the US is still timely, although the same territory has been covered in countless films and TV shows since, robbing this film of some impact. This must have made some impression on Oliver Stone, as several aspects of this movie would be used in his subsequent films Salvador and Platoon.    (8/10)

• Like 5

LE SOLEIL DES VOYOUS 1967 by Jean Delannoy with Jean Gabin Robert Stack.Bank robbery story,average but Gabin is always good to watch,Stack was  fluent in French so he was not dubbed. 6.5/10

gabin.jpg

• Like 5

LES AVENTURES D'ARSENE LUPIN 1957 by JACQUES BECKER with Robert Lamoureux Liselotte Pulver.  Very good movie on the famous thief,nice colors,great acting 7.5/10

arsene.jpg

• Like 3

The 2019 winner of the Los Angeles Film Critics Best Picture Award ….

xe05nugsfeu31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

The 2019 Los Angeles Film Critics Best Foreign Film Award …

2kg9rw0qVT0YCtUFXopcJsnDHAK-683x1024.jpg

Pain and Glory (2019) Pedro Almodovar, Spain

and I’ve also seen …

220px-CodenameCougar.jpg

Operation Cougar (1989) Fengliang Yang, Yimou Zhang, China

A group of terrorists hijack a plane then the negotiations begin.  This is routine in every way.  Gong Li has a small nothing part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L.' OEIL DU MALIN 1962 by Claude Chabrol with Jacques Charrier Stephane Audran very good early film by Chabrol  starting a path where he will become a master.Story about blackmail & infidelity.I  like Audran very much I found her extremely attractive,a sultry French woman,a super cook,a cordon bleu.She died 2 years ago, the actor Charrier was married to Bardot then-not for long ,Audran lost her  husband Jean Louis Trintignant to the same Bardot in 1956.Restored  print . 7.5/10

malin.jpg

• Like 2