Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

My favorite foreign language film would be 1981's Quest for Fire.

I have no idea what languages were being spoken but I loved that I knew everything that was going on anyway - even though there were no subtitles at all.

Anthony Burgess did a masterful job creating those languages.

14 hours ago, Sukhov said:

MV5BNWUzMTYwNTMtNjgzZC00OTk5LWE3YjItNGJj

Two Monks (1934) Juan Bustillo Oro, Mexico - 5/10 - Two monks recount their stories of the time they fell for the same girl. This is only notable for being a rare pre-Rashomon multiple POV film. Some decent cinematography isn't enough to save it for me. Was dull and the image I saw was washed out and completely faded. Almost put me to sleep. Wouldn't recommend. 

I saw it some time ago and I liked it. I thought it was pretty good. I hope there's a decent copy somewhere so I can watch it again, but I doubt it.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, nakano said:

LE COLONEL CHABERT 1994 by Yves Angelo with Gerard Depardieu Fanny Ardant Fabrice Luchini.From a story by Honoré de Balzac.Set in Paris 1817 a colonel assumed dead for many years comes back to meet his remarried wife.Very good drama. 7.5/10

CHABERT.jpg

I hate to be so vague on this, perhaps I shouldn't even post. A prominent reviewer years ago credited Depardieu with one of the greatest acting moments of all time. A scene where he was standing in front of a seated questioner telling his story. Maybe someone will actually remember  the scene. I don't. But I thought it one of the greatest tributes and actor has ever received. Let me know if someone knows what I'm talking about.

2 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

I saw it some time ago and I liked it. I thought it was pretty good. I hope there's a decent copy somewhere so I can watch it again, but I doubt it.

IMDB says it is a "horror movie" so I was expecting something like Nosferatu. The only thing horror related was a demon possession at the very beginning which is what it must be referring to I guess? Either way, wasn't expecting a long romance tragedy. 

16 hours ago, laffite said:

I hate to be so vague on this, perhaps I shouldn't even post. A prominent reviewer years ago credited Depardieu with one of the greatest acting moments of all time. A scene where he was standing in front of a seated questioner telling his story. Maybe someone will actually remember  the scene. I don't. But I thought it one of the greatest tributes and actor has ever received. Let me know if someone knows what I'm talking about.

The might be a bit of a stretch but Depardieu as Chabert made my top ten of 1994.  I think his Cyranno was probably a better performance but the role is much showier.

Fabrice Luchini in Colonel Chabert is a revelation.

MV5BODljZTM3ODAtMDc0YS00NmI4LTlmZTUtM2I5

365 Days (2020) Barbara Bialowas, Tomasz Mandes, Poland - 2/10 - Weak S&M film from Poland. Massimo is a gangster who kidnaps Laura with the intention that she falls in love with him in 365 days. Of course, he rapes her and this is played as if it's supposed to be good. This is the kind of "Fifty Shades of Grey" S&M trash made for bored housewives. The technical aspects of the film are not much better. The Michele Morrone soundtrack is also exceptionally godawful and it never stops. Conversations will stop mid-sentence and the mumbley soundtrack will start up. There are also like fifty costume montages which helps pad the weak story to almost two hours. A terrible film all around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formidable-2007-affiche.jpg

Formidable (2007) Dominique Standaert, Belgium

Two men who have both lost their jobs and wives meet by chance and become reluctant friends.  Thankfully it does not try to rely on quirkiness which can be the kiss of death for me.  Not bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Ppin4nOAUtwLW07rgOPN0qBAodUtyL1fGNzHK4ga

Formidable (2007) Dominique Standaert, Belgium

Two men who have both lost their jobs and wives meet by chance and become reluctant friends.  Thankfully it does not try to rely on quirkiness which can be the kiss of death for me.  Not bad.

Excuse me for what I fear is density on my part, but may I ask what you mean by "quirkiness." I know, I should know this, so don't laugh. Actually, it's a serious enquiry and there is no innuendo behind it. It's just that naive minds want to know. : - )

Three_Brothers_(1981_film).jpg

Three Brothers (1981) Italy, Dir: Francesco Rosi - The title trio (Philippe Noiret, Michele Placido, and Vittorio Mezzogiorno), each dealing with personal and professional issues, are summoned to their hometown by their aged father (Charles Vanel) after the death of their mother. Excellent performances and some nice directorial touches make this worth seeing, but I wasn't as blown away by this as many seem to have been.  (7/10)

Collaboration_Too-Early-Too-Late_007.jpg

Too Early/Too Late (1981) France/Egypt, Dir: Jean-Marie Straub and Daniele Huillet - Arthouse documentary comprised of long-take shots of French and Egyptian landscapes while off-screen narrators read passages from works by Friedrich Engels and Mahmoud Hussein. It's supposed to be a meditation on the relationship between the land and the plight of the struggling people that live there. I found it to be a tedious bore. Others call it a brilliant, cerebral masterpiece.  (5/10)

• Like 3

Sounds dull. I prefer the fun anime Engels.

the-leader-3.jpg

20 hours ago, laffite said:

Excuse me for what I fear is density on my part, but may I ask what you mean by "quirkiness." I know, I should know this, so don't laugh. Actually, it's a serious enquiry and there is no innuendo behind it. It's just that naive minds want to know. : - )

A forced oddity for comedic purposes.  

• Thanks 1

AQuestionOfSilence.jpg

A Question of Silence (1982) Netherlands, Dir: Marleen Gorris - A female psychiatrist (Cox Habbema) is assigned by the police to interview a trio of women (Edda Barends, Nelly Frijda, and Henriette Tol) who are accused of murdering a shopkeeper. As the doctor learns the life stories of the individual women, she must confront issues in her own personal life. This feminist fable is a blend of domestic drama, political statement, courtroom procedural, and black comedy. The production values are meager. but the performances are good, and I enjoyed the score.   (7/10)

Yol_(1982_film).jpg

Yol (1982) Turkey, Dir: Serif Goren & Yilmaz Guney - Five prisoners are granted leave to visit their families, each struggling with difficulties caused by their incarceration and the political turmoil of post-coup Turkey. Guney, a noted filmmaker for many years, wrote the film while in prison, with his assistant Goren directing filming. Guney escaped and edited the film in Switzerland. The film was very controversial in Turkey, and was banned for many years. I enjoyed the varied look at Turkish culture, and the 80's-era score with electronic flourishes was a highlight.   (7/10)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The winner of China’s Golden Rooster Award for Best Film of 2019 was …

MV5BMjE2NzZlMGItMzA4OS00ZjRiLTk3NzItMDRk

The Wandering Earth (2019) Frant Two, China

The winner of China’s Golden Rooster Award for Foreign Film of 2019 was …

poster_romys-salon.jpg

Romy’s Salon (2019) Mischa Kamp, the Netherlands

rewers.jpeg

The Reverse (2009) Borys Lankosz, Poland

The film takes place in Communist Warsaw of the 1950’s and everyone is spying on everyone and people are carted away in the middle of the night by the secret police.  A young woman living in a small apartment with her mother and grandmother works as a poetry editor for the State and longs for a relationship.  As Don Adams would say, “missed by that much.”  It was okay but not nearly as good as it could have been.  It won Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress at the Polish Film Awards.

• Like 2

South Korea’s Grand Bell Best Picture Award of 2019 went to …

images-w1400.jpg?1579570864

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

un-cuento-chino-argentinian-movie-poster

Un Cuento Chino (Chinese Take-Away). 2001. Argentina/Spain. Comedy. Directed by Sebastian Borensztein. With Ricardo Darín, Huan Sheng Huang (credited as Ignacio Huang),  and Muriel Santa Ana.

A lonely and gruff owner of a hardware store helps a stranded Chinese young man, who doesn't speak a word of Spanish,  find his family in Argentina.

I found this movie online by accident and I liked more than I thought I would. It has a good screenplay, it's well directed, and both Darín and Huang give very good and funny performances.

• Like 3

le-moine-le-moine-the-monk-13-07-2011-1-

8.  The Monk (2011)  Dominik Moll, France

It takes place in the late 1500’s at a remote Spanish monastery.  Vincent Cassel who was brought to the monastery as an infant orphan has grown up to be the leader.  The film starts off really well.  It’s very atmospheric and it has many interesting threads.  My problem with it was that those disparate threads didn’t really come together and the end was a bit of a mess.  But Geraldine Chaplin has a very small part as a mean nun and she is very good.

• Like 1

The 2019 Washington DC Film Critics Association Best Picture and Best Foreign Film Award …

7b0b37da537ddef2043ddce969314911.jpg

Parasite (2019) Joon-ho Bong, South Korea

Other 2019 Foreign Film nominees …

net4_3.jpg

Atlantique (2019) Mati Doup, Senegal

monos-2019.jpg

Monos (2019) Alejandro Landes, Columbia

Noche-de-pelicula-768x1024.png

Pain and Glory (2019) Pedro Almodovar, Spain

40a4d545002e5ea9259b6f45739d78d5.png

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) Celine Sciamma, France

38400.jpg

The Wave (Bølgen). 2015. Norway. Thriller. Directed by Roar Uthaug. With Kristoffer Joner, Ane Dahl Torp, Jonas Hoff Oftebro, and Edith Haagenrud.

A geologist warns his teammates that a massive landslide that can flood the area may happen soon.

This is an excellent disaster movie.  It is also very humane. The movie smartly focuses on its characters, allowing us to get familiar with them and care about them when they are in peril. Technically, The Wave is topnotch. The collapse of the fjord and the following tsunami are amazingly recreated. The especial effects, cinematography, and sets are outstanding, with some hellish images that depict and accentuate the tragic events. There were moments when the movie reminded me of The Impossible, a favorite movie of mine.

The director and the main cast reunited in 2018 in Quake. I hope to find it soon.

• Like 2