Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

and I’ve also seen …

bPQKWPdL9cDOOOm48JoVdIZHPcQ-1200-1200-67

I Can No Longer Hear the Guitar (1991) Philippe Garrel, France

This is a case where I found everything that was written about the film quite interesting but then subsequently not the film itself.  Perhaps it was because I wasn’t drawn to a single character.

image-w1280.jpg

Night and Day (1991) Chantal Akerman, France

Akerman fans may like this but I don’t count myself in their number.  This is an odd love triangle story.  I stayed through to the end as I was curious to see how it would turn out but I can’t say the wait was worth it.

• Like 3

The 2020 Academy Award for Best International Film included …

MV5BOTNjM2Y2ZjgtMDc5NS00MDQ1LTgyNGYtYzYw

Another Round (2020) Thomas Vinterberg, Denmark ****

L_p0128389348.jpg

Better Days (2019) Derek Tsang, China

AAAABcI_M2a51eYzvn87d6q2d-t4uuWxFlNT96Gl

Collective (2019) Alexander Nanau, Romania

MV5BOTNhMzFmMWItYjcxNy00Nzk2LWI0YzEtMzM4

The Man Who Sold His Skin (2020) Kaouther Ben Hania, Tunisia

Quo_Vadis_Aida-933962360-large.jpg

Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020) Jasmila Zbanic, Bosnia and Herzegovina

img-00.jpg

7.  Porco Rosso (1992) Hayo Miyazaki, Japan [dubbed version]

I thought this was quite well done.  Funny, imaginative and good animation.  Some of the English language voice characterizations were quite good too, especially David Ogden Stiers as an old Italian.

29649id_121_0000_29649id_116_w1600.jpg

A Tale of Winter (1992) Eric Rohmer, France

A pleasant enough film from Rohmer about a young woman who bounces between two men but cannot find true love with either.  The one man whom she feels that she can love, the unwed father of her little girl has disappeared.

9313_1.jpg

La Vie de Boheme (1992) Aki Kaurismaki, Finland

Three down-and-out artists struggle to get by in Paris.  The first half is quite engaging but then it becomes as dreary as can be.

From the Henri Murger novel which has been filmed many times before.  I twigged to this when Kaurismaki has an almost identical scene that was previously in Mimi (1935) with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Gertrude Lawrence.  A playwright is desperately in need of a dress coat for a job interview.  A man with such a coat (Jean-Pierre Leaud in this case) comes to pose for his portrait.  The artist convinces him to do away with his coat for the painting and the playwright borrows it.

• Like 3

The 2020 BAFTA Foreign Film Award included ….

5c8790tmano51.jpg

Another Round (2020) Thomas Vinterberg, Denmark ****

MV5BODMyZTM2ZTYtODU3NC00ODMwLWIwNjMtOWY4

Dear Comrades (2020) Andrey Konchalovskiy, Russia

BD3_MISERABLES-1.jpg

Les Miserables (2019) Ladj Ly, France

91fqKK0nRsL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Minari (2020) Lee Isaac Chung, South Korea

8B4yq8VRtCGud8MnAJHhpAIjzkh.jpg

Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020) Jasmila Zbanic, Bosnia and Herzegovina

s,725-a1e5b8.jpg

The Birth of Love (1993) Philippe Garrel, France.

You would think that this b&w film was made in the 60’s and part of the New Wave but Jean-Pierre Leaud’s age is one giveaway that it is not.   Lou Castel plays his friend who is dissatisfied with his life and looks for love in extra-marital affairs.  Interesting but not earth shattering.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

..How Patient Are You, ?.

Lol

This is page 184.  We started by doing this in 2017 and went year by year with a decade review then opened it up to any comments.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

This is page 184.  We started by doing this in 2017 and went year by year with a decade review then opened it up to any comments.

K.

I Was Being a Goofball..

🙄

(Maybe) Never Mind.. ....

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Im Not Making Fun of You,. This Post. Or this Topic..

.. at all.

_

Id RATHER.. ... And Ive Always Been Inclined Toward Foreign Language; whenever stoodup to that really common dialect called English..

Studied a (Dead) Foreign Language in College.. ...Sucked, At it. Lol

But, Enjoyed.. It.

Some Languages.. (Are Also) asmr-ish in my opinion.. always have kinda liked the sound and timbre of French.. For Example...

Not Showing Off or Strutting Around in Saying This...

Just Like the Thread and Topic Here..

The winner of the 2020 European Film Awards Best Picture was …

another-round-poster-1.jpg

Another Round (2020) Thomas Vinterberg, Denmark

image-w1280.jpg

Muriel’s Parents Are Desperate (1995) Philippe Faucon, France

The title is a bit misleading as Muriel’s parents are hardly the focus of the film.  Muriel is a young girl living alone in Paris who experiences her first gay love affairs.  The film has a certain charm.

and I’ve also seen …

EVZiyeIXkAA4Rmw.jpg

Up, Down, Fragile (1995) Jacques Rivette, France.

This film wasn’t for me.  I only discovered afterward when reading the imdb description that it is considered a comedy.  It is about three young women and takes an interminable amount of time before we discover their stories and how they will intersect.  It is after almost two hours of “drama” before the characters suddenly burst into song and dance and it becomes a ridiculous musical.  It is something different but I expected better.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The 2020 Independent Spirit Best Foreign Film Award ….

MV5BYWE1Nzc3MGMtMTUwNi00NTcwLTkyZDctM2I3

Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020) Jasmila Zbanic, Bosnia and Herzegovina ****

bacurau-poster.jpeg

Bacurau (2019) Kleber Mendonca Filho, Juliano Dornelles, Brazil

MV5BNmZhNGEyZTEtZWJhZS00YmZkLWIyNGItNzYz

The Disciple (2020) Chaitanya Tamhane, India

MV5BMDY2MDdlNDEtZmViZC00MzE3LTk5ZjAtOTg2

Night of the Kings (2020) Philippe Lacote, France

original.jpg?1611181634

Preparations To Be Together For an Unknown Period of Time (2020) Hungary, Lili Horvat

ponette-jacques-doillon.jpg

Ponette (1996) Jacques Doilon, France

Winner of the New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film Award and 5 year old Victoire Thivisol won the Best Actress Award at the Venice Film Festival.  Thivisol plays a little girl who cannot get over the death of her mother and wants nothing more than to be reunited with her.  Each scene is very well done but cumulatively I couldn’t help feeling that the film was a bit one note.  Of course, that was the point as revealed at the end.

image-w1280.jpg

When the Cat’s Away (1996) Cedric Klapisch, France

Occasionally amusing light film about a woman who goes on the hunt for her missing cat and discovers the lives of her neighbours.  For me the highlight was Renee Le Calm who died in 2019 at the age of 100.  She plays the old lady who was supposed to be looking after the cat when it ran away.

image-w1280.jpg

Mon Homme (1996) Bertrand Blier, France

This is an odd film with an uneven mix of drama, comedy and fantasy.  A prostitute, like Irma la Douce who believes in supporting her pimp eventually becomes disillusioned.  Anouk Grinberg won Best Actress at the Berlin International Film Festival and looks like she could be Juliette Binoche’s younger sister.  It features cameos by Michel Galabru, Bernard Fresson and Jean-Pierre Leaud.

• Like 3

The 2020 British Independent International Film Award went to Nomadland (2020)  Included in the nominees were these foreign language films…

les-miserables-poster.jpg?format=jpg&qua

Les Miserables (2019) Ladj Ly, France

Notturno-di-Gianfranco-Risi.jpg

Notturno (2020) Gianfranco Rosi, Italy

• Thanks 1

maxresdefault.jpg

After Sex (1997) Brigitte Rouan, France

Brigitte Rouan directs and stars as a married woman with two teenage kids who has an affair with a much younger man.  Her marriage and her mental stability unravel when the affair comes to an end.  Not bad.

• Like 2

The 2020 Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language film …

97d4b7e4d9cdd23d25ee9c08069cbfcf.jpg

Minari (2020) Lee Isaac Chung, South Korea ****

MV5BYzE5MGRjMjUtYzQwYy00NGU2LTk2ZjYtMDJh

MV5BNjE5NDM4OWEtOTEyMy00MmM0LTkxYzEtMDFh

La Llorona (2019) Jayro Bustamante, Guatemala

MV5BMTljOGM2NzQtYzY5Yi00YzUwLTljZDktMDZl

The Life Ahead (2020) Edoardo Ponti, Italy

media.jpg

Two of Us (2019) Filippo Meneghetti, France

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2gJ9SZhbsVjifjwhmuEd

8.  Autumn Tale (1998) Eric Rohmer, France

Several friends try to set up a middle age woman with a boyfriend.  I found the images of the countryside more appealing than any of the characters.

740full-late-august,-early-september-pho

9.  Late August Early September (1998), Olivier Assayas, France

This might as well be an Eric Rohmer film.  All of the characters appear to question who they are really in love with and what to do with their careers.  Mathieu Amalric is one of the leads.

• Like 2

The 2020 winner of France’s Cesar Best Picture Award …

media.jpg

Bye Bye Morons (2020) Elbert Dupontel, France

The 2019 winner of France’s Cesar Best Foreign Film Award was …

poster-another-round.jpg

81++wfmvU1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

5.  La Dilettante (1999) Pascal Thomas, France

Catherine Frot who won the Best Actress award at the Moscow International Film Festival plays a mother who returns to Paris after many years to re-engage with her adult children.  She is still young enough to join the work force and she bounces from job to job excelling at each despite having no experience.  The film takes a turn when she falls for a film flam man.  I found this very entertaining.  Frot and Odette Laure who plays a grande dame are excellent.

2064_max.jpg

Rosetta (1999) Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, Belgium

The Best Picture and Best Actress (Emilie Dequenne) winner at Cannes.  Interesting Belgian kitchen sink drama about a young girl who lives in a trailer park with her drunken mother.  My problem with the film was the camerawork.  It had a deliberate style of forever staying within two feet of the lead actress often resulting in my knowing less about what was going on than she did as I could not see anything but her head.

image-w1280.jpg

An Affair of Love (1999) Frederic Fonteyne, France

Nathalie Baye and Sergi Lopez star as a couple who meet via the personals to engage in a purely sexual affair at a cheap hotel.  This is essentially Last Tango In Paris with the lovers remaining anonymous.  Baye won the Best Actress award at the Venice Film Festival.  The film is not bad but the format of having this story told by both Baye and Lopez through interviews with the same person doesn’t make any sense.

and I’ve also seen ….

IMG_2706.jpg

Girl on the Bridge (1999) Patrice Leconte, France

A knife thrower rescues a young woman who is about to jump into the Sienne and then incorporates her into his act.  Though obviously a fairy tale I just didn’t buy into any of it at all.  It won the LA Critics and BAFTA awards for best foreign film and Daniel Auteuil won the Cesar Award for Best Actor.

• Like 3

The 2020 winner of Sweden’s Guldbagge Award was …

poster_big.jpg?1579875179876

Run Uje Run (2020) Henrik Schyffert, Sweden

The 2020 winner of Sweden’s Guldbagge Foreign Film Award was …

MV5BY2RlYWI5NTQtNmU2NC00ODY2LWFjNTUtMDhj

For Sama (2019) Waad Al-Kateab, Hamza Al-Khateab, Sama Al-Khateab, Syria

• Thanks 1

and I’ve also seen …

va-savoir-2.jpg

Va Savoir (2001) Jacques Rivette, France

Well, after seeing a number of his films I can say that I don’t like Jacques Rivette’s work one bit.  This one was over long, pretentious, repetitive and boring.  I couldn’t stand the actors or the characters they were playing - yes there was a distinction.  Their actions and dialogue were awful and all them kept showing up on doorsteps saying “we have to talk.”  A total miss.

• Like 2