Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

On 10/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, LawrenceA said:

MV5BNjkwY2Q1MjUtNWRkNy00M2RiLWJiNmYtOTAy

The Book of Stone  (1969)  Mexico/Dir: Carlos Enrique Taboada  -  A governess (Marga Lopez) is hired to look after strange little girl Silvia (Lucy Buj), who spends her time with her imaginary friend Hugo. While exploring the large surrounding forest estate grounds, the governess discovers a strange stone statue of a boy holding a book, and Silvia tells her that the boy is Hugo. And that's just the beginning of the strange occurrences.... Also featuring Joaquin Cordero, Norma Lazareno, Aldo Monti, Rafael Llamas, Ada Carrasco, and Lilia Castillo.

The tone is a little more similar to The Innocents than the more outrageous stuff generally associated with Mexican horror. Moody, atmospheric, and well-acted.   (7/10)

Very good movie. Together with Even The Wind Is Afraid, it's one of my favorite of his films.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, LawrenceA said:

MV5BOTVhNjU5YWEtNzMwMC00NWRhLTgyYWEtNTdi

The Vampire Girls  (1969)  Mexico/Dir: Federico Curiel  -  The evil vampire Count Branus Alucard (John Carradine) hopes to marry the widow of Count Dracula and then rule the night for eternity. Unfortunately for him, heroic masked wrestler Mils Mascaras (Mils Mascaras) is determined to thwart his fiendish plot. Also featuring Pedro Armendariz Jr., Maria Duval, Marta Romero, Maura Monti, Dagoberto Rodriguez, and Elsa Maria Tako.

While familiar with Santo and Blue Demon, this was the first I'd heard of Mils Mascaras (The Man of 1000 Masks), although I understand that he's just as famous in masked wrestler circles. Carradine looks goofy and enfeebled.   (5/10)

las-vampiras-1969-photo-card.jpg?ssl=1

Ok, say no more. This coming Sunday I'm watching either Mexican wrestlers or giallo beauties.

• Haha 1