Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

Bogie56

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The_Bar_(film).jpg

The Bar  (2017)  Spain/Dir: Alex de la Iglesia  -  A disparate group of people find themselves trapped inside of a seedy diner/bar in downtown Madrid when an unseen gunman begins to shot anyone who tries to leave. They struggle to stay alive while also attempting to figure out why they've been targeted. Writer-director Iglesia (The Day of the BeastDance with the DevilWitching & B-itching) leans heavily on black humor as is his style, and the performances by the cast are very good, particularly the award-winning turn by Jaime Ordonez as an unhinged vagrant. The proceedings run out of steam before the end, though it's still worth a look.   (6/10)

Álex de la Iglesia certainly knows how to direct chaos, and the way he uses black humor gives his movies a very distinct, personal flavor.  I agree with you about the movie losing steam towards the end, and Jaime Ordóñez's performance got on my nerves in a couple of scenes.

• Like 1

ghost-lab-netflix-review-horror-movie.jp

Ghost Lab  (2021)  Thailand/Dir: Paween Purijitpanya  -  After two young doctors encounter what they believe is a restless spirit, they decide to try and scientifically prove once and for all whether ghosts exist. Their experiments, done in the basement of the hospital where they work, go to extreme lengths to try and prove their theories. High production values are the only real highlight here, as the story goes on too long and the tone lurches from comedy to horror to heartwarming.   (5/10)

• Like 2

The 2021 winner of the New York Film Critics Best Picture Award ….

drive-my-car-poster.jpg

Drive My Car (2021) Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Japan

The 2021 winner of the New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film Award ….

MV5BZjY1Y2E3ZDMtYjViMC00Mjk3LWIwNzgtZWZi

The Worst Person In the World (2021) Joachim Trier, Germany

• Thanks 2

Recall_the_Night_(%EA%B8%B0%EC%96%B5%EC%

Forgotten  (2017)  South Korea/Dir: Hang-jun Jang  -  Excellent thriller centered on Jin-seok (Kang Ha-Neul), a young man with a history of psychological issues who moves into a new house with his parents and his older brother (Mu-Yeol Kim). Jin-seok soon notices that something is off with his brother, leading to a series of shocking revelations. This well-crafted psychological thriller keeps the viewer guessing, with multiple twists and turns, although they begin to strain the limits of credulity by the end.  (7/10)

• Like 2

2738769d98eae7360127ef28758e8ba98e487497

The Mansion  (2017)  France/Dir: Tony T. Datis  -  A group of young people travel to a secluded Belgian mansion which they've rented for the purpose of throwing a New Year's Eve party. However, someone or something begins killing off the celebrants, and it may be tied into the mansion's sinister past. This horror-comedy plays things very broad and very crass, with a lot of sex and drug jokes. It has good production values, and the performances are adequate for what's called for here, but I was annoyed by the characters, and a lot of jokes fell flat.   (5/10)

• Like 2

third-eye.jpg

The 3rd Eye  (2017)  Indonesia/Dir: Rocky Soraya  -  From the maker of The Doll and The Doll 2 comes this further excursion into supernatural horror. After the tragic death of her parents, a young woman discovers that she can communicate with the spirits of the dead. Unfortunately, that also opens her up to malevolent possession, which can only be countered by a seasoned spiritual medium. This is as cheesy as The Doll movies, and features quite a bit of bloody mayhem. I thought it was rather silly. Followed by a sequel, of course.   (4/10)

• Like 2

TheWholeTruth-Banniere.jpg

The Whole Truth  (2021)  Indonesia/Dir: Wisit Sasanatieng  -  Teenage brother and sister Pim and Putt go to stay with their grandparents after their mother ends up in a coma following a car accident. The two teens have never spent time with their elder relatives, and their relationship is quickly strained. Things are made worse when the duo point a 3-inch-wide hole in the living room wall that looks into the adjacent house, a hole that the grandparents claim to not see. What the two kids see when they look through the hole will change them forever. What could have been a serviceable supernatural mystery/thriller is dragged out by lengthy, unnecessary subplots that bring the film to over two hours.   (5/10)

• Like 2

P-I-2.jpg?ssl=1

Paranormal Investigation  (2018)  France/Dir: Franck Phelizon  -  A paranormal investigator documents a case involving a possessed teenager and the efforts of a local priest to exorcise him. This is as bland and generic as its title suggests, made to resemble any of a glut of "reality" ghost-hunter TV shows that were popular on cable 10 years ago. It's made doubly pointless due to its admitted fictional nature, rendering its attempt at format verisimilitude a wasted endeavor.   (3/10)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

p16266992_v_h9_aa.jpg

Target  (2018)  Indonesia/Dir: Raditya Dika  -  A group of film industry workers (actors, producers, crew) assemble for a dinner party to discuss a potential new project. Instead, they end up drugged, only to awaken in a large warehouse where they are forced to participate in deadly games at the behest of an unseen gamemaster. This is played for broad laughs for the most part, although there's plenty of gruesome violence. Annoying characters in cliché situations. I hated it.   (3/10) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suzzanna-Buried-Alive.jpg?fit=426,597&ss

Suzzanna: Buried Alive  (2018)  Indonesia/Dir: Rocky Soraya & Anggy Umbara  -  After a woman (Luna Maya) is murdered by a gang of inept thieves during a botched robbery, her spirit returns for grisly vengeance. 

Suzzanna (full name Suzzanna Martha Frederika van Osch, 1942-2008) was a former child actress-turned-dramatic lead, popular in Indonesian film from the late 50's through the 1970's. As she approached 40, she decided to try a horror film, and starred in 1981's The Queen of Black Magic, which, along with that same year's Sundel Bolong, were massive hits, and forever more linked her to the genre. She appeared in several more horror titles before passing away in 2008. This film was intended as a homage to her, and as such, not only is the lead character named after her, but star Maya is also made-up with (mediocre) prosthetics to try and make her look as much like Suzzanna as possible. Like many Indonesian horror films, it goes on way too long (over 2 hours), and there's a lot of sub-par humor.   (4/10)

• Like 2

romina-2018-netflix.jpg

Romina  (2018)  Mexico/Dir: Diego Cohen  -  A group of obnoxious young people go on a lakeside camping trip. After a couple of them commit a terrible crime, someone starts killing them off. This was awful in just about every way: the filmmaking was amateurish and irritating, the performances bad, and the tension was non-existent. The worst one that I've seen in a while.   (2/10)

Sabrina-netflix-1280x640.jpg

Sabrina  (2018)  Indonesia/Dir: Rocky Soraya  -  Part 3 in The Doll series sees yet another cursed doll bringing more supernatural havoc on unsuspecting families. Just as cheap and dumb as the previous two.   (4/10)

The-8th-Night-Netflix-Review.jpg

The 8th Night  (2021)  South Korea/Dir: Kim Tae-hyung  -  A cursed eyeball that once belonged to a monster that was vanquished by the Buddha is set free, and it proceeds to possess people as it travels across the Asian continent in a bid to re-unite with the monster's other eyeball and thus bring the evil menace back to life. It's up to a pair of mismatched Buddhist monks to stop them, with a foul-tempered homicide detective on their tails. This had excellent production values and good performances. The editing is a bit off, and there were times when I thought scenes were shown out of order, but overall this was much better than the other foreign horror fare that I watched today.   (6/10)

• Like 2

snow-trail-1947-man-holding-rope-on-moun

1.  Snow Trail (1947) Senkichi Taniguchi, Japan

Three bank robbers escape up a mountain road that proves to be dead end.  They are then forced to make a desperate trek over the Alps taking refuge in a small inn run by an old man and his granddaughter.  Takashi Shimura and Toshiro Mifune play two of the robbers.  Mifune is the hardened criminal while Shimura pines for home as did Dix Handley.  Really good location work in the Alps.

DVD_Paris_1900_00.jpg

5.  Paris 1900 (1947) Nicole Verdes, France

Here is a film that has lost almost all of its impact.  It is number 5 on my list of 1947 because I have seen only 6 FF’s from that year.

This is a compilation documentary covering Paris in la Belle Epoche, from 1900 to 1914.  It won the Prix Louis Dellac Award and the French Syndicate of Cinema Critics Award for best picture of the year.  It was narrated by Claude Dauphin but I saw a dubbed English language version which has Monty Woolley providing the narration.  The highlight for me was to see footage of a very young Maurice Chevalier.  Overall I found it quite dull but in 1947 this found footage must have been quite a revelation to audiences.

manabouttown1947_3262_1024x767_051320141

6.  Man About Town (1947) Rene Clair, United States

I include this for curiosity's sake.  Man About Town is the American version of Clair's Le Silence est d’or, or Silence Is Golden.  I saw it on TCM and would consider it a separate film.  It has a new introduction in English by its star, Maurice Chevalier and is not dubbed or subtitled.  Instead, right on top of the French soundtrack Chevalier narrates and explains the film in English.  The effect is annoying and leaves one wanting to see a copy of the subtitled original.

• Like 2

Eerie_(2018_film)_poster.jpg

Eerie  (2018)  Philippines/Dir: Mikhail Red  -  Students at an all-girls catholic school think the angry spirit of a student who committed suicide in the school is now haunting the place. Standard ghost story clichés and a dreary visual tone reduce this one to mediocrity.   (5/10)

• Like 1

Time_Share.png

Time Share  (2018)  Mexico/Dir: Sebastian Hofmann  -  Two parallel stories take place against the backdrop of a new luxury resort. In one, a frustrated family man (Luis Gerardo Mendez) on vacation with his wife and young son find their getaway disrupted when the hotel books another family in the same room. The original occupant finds him growing more and more enraged at the overbearing new family. Meanwhile, a troubled member (Miguel Rodarte) of the resort cleaning staff struggles to save his marriage with his distant wife (Montserrat Maranon). She's getting a new promotion at the resort, and he's afraid she'll leave him behind. 

This odd film (which won a screenwriting award at Sundance) was labeled as horror, but I wouldn't call it that at all. It's a mildly unnerving black comedy/drama that really doesn't go much of anywhere, but the acting is good.   (6/10)

• Like 2

Sebelum_Iblis_Menjemput_(2018)_Film_Post

May the Devil Take You  (2018)  Indonesia/Dir: Timo Tjahjanto  -  When a wealthy man is hospitalized with a terminal illness, his squabbling family venture to his country villa to try and find anything of value to sell to pay for his treatment. There they discover that his former business success was thanks to an unholy pact and that the payment has come due. The solo feature directing debut for screenwriter Thanjanto, who had previously directed as one half of the Mo Brothers (MacabreKillersHeadshot) along with Kimo Stamboel, is gory, slimy and well-crafted. The characters are a bit too thinly-drawn, and only the lead heroine (Chelsea Islan) made an impression. The film earned the director an Indonesian industry award, and was followed by a sequel.   (6/10)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Time_Share.png

Time Share  (2018)  Mexico/Dir: Sebastian Hofmann  -  Two parallel stories take place against the backdrop of a new luxury resort. In one, a frustrated family man (Luis Gerardo Mendez) on vacation with his wife and young son find their getaway disrupted when the hotel books another family in the same room. The original occupant finds him growing more and more enraged at the overbearing new family. Meanwhile, a troubled member (Miguel Rodarte) of the resort cleaning staff struggles to save his marriage with his distant wife (Montserrat Maranon). She's getting a new promotion at the resort, and he's afraid she'll leave him behind. 

This odd film (which won a screenwriting award at Sundance) was labeled as horror, but I wouldn't call it that at all. It's a mildly unnerving black comedy/drama that really doesn't go much of anywhere, but the acting is good.   (6/10)

This was my brief take ...

time-share-sebastian-hofmann-mexican-cin

6.  Time Share (2018) Sebastian Hofmann, Mexico

This film is ripe for an English language remake.  It focuses on two dissatisfied men: one an employee and another a guest at a time share holiday resort that operates like a cult.

• Like 1

The_3rd_Eye_2.jpg

The 3rd Eye 2  (2019)  Indonesia/Dir: Rocky Soraya  -  A young woman and her sister are plagued by menacing ghosts, so they enlist the aid of a spiritual advisor to put a stop to things. Yet another supernatural horror offering in writer-producer-director Soraya, the modern king of Indonesian schlock horror flicks. I'll give this one a bit more credit for being more bizarre in the final act.  (5/10)

• Like 1

The 2021 winner of the Los Angeles Film Critics Best Picture Award ….

b5010cae9d70fb386b7f44809548749c07b39967

Drive My Car (2021) Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Japan

The 2021 Los Angeles Film Critics Best Foreign Film Award …

media.jpg

Petite Maman (2021) Celine Sciamma, France

• Thanks 2

_315x420_a1d79c7b5ed41ebb56ecdca869e5847

122  (2019)  Egypt/Dir: Yaser Al-Yaseri  -  A young couple on their way to elope has a terrible car accident. When they awaken in a hospital, they have been separated. They struggle to reunite as they quickly discover that there is something sinister afoot at this medical center. Serviceable thriller with made-for-TV production values.  (6/10)

• Like 2

gigi6.jpg

7.  Gigi (1949) Jacqueline Audry, France

Pleasant enough version of the Colette story confined to just a few locations.  Daniele Delorme does well in the title role and Frank Villard is very good as her worldly Uncle who meets his match in Gigi.  I saw the TCM copy and sadly most of the subtitles get lost in white table cloths.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

7.  Gigi (1949) Jacqueline Audry, France

Pleasant enough version of the Colette story confined to just a few locations.  Daniele Delorme does well in the title role and Frank Villard is very good as her worldly Uncle who meets his match in Gigi.  I saw the TCM copy and sadly most of the subtitles get lost in white table cloths.

It looks like this version is included as a bonus feature on the Blu-ray of the 1958 version, which I have as part of my Best Picture collection. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm guessing it will be this same print.

11640-13661-KrasueInjpg

Inhuman Kiss  (2019)  Thailand/Dir: Sitisiri Mongkolsiri  -  In an isolated rural village, a young man struggles to protect the woman he loves from a group of vicious monster hunters, after she is cursed to change into a "krasue". The regional mythology is interesting, and this is the best-looking presentation of the krasue I've seen - a disembodied flying head with the internal organs hanging below it and which can be used as tentacles to ensnare the unwary. While there is a lot of horrific imagery, this is more of a very well-produced romantic fantasy than just a monster thriller.   (7/10)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It looks like this version is included as a bonus feature on the Blu-ray of the 1958 version, which I have as part of my Best Picture collection. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm guessing it will be this same print.

It was interesting to see how different Frank Villard and Louis Jourdan's take on the Gaston character is.  Villard is much funnier and no match for Gigi.  He may think he is in charge but he's not which makes it funny.  Jourdan's Gaston is incapable of being made fun of.  When he loses control it is still his decision.

Game_Over_2019_poster.jpg

Game Over  (2019)  India/Dir: Ashwin Saravanan  -  A videogame-obsessed young woman (Taapsee Pannu) suffering from a lot of phobias brought on by past trauma is stalking by a mysterious killer. I won't give any more away about the plot of this one as there are several big twists, but I'll say that much of it didn't work for me. Apparently I'm in the minority with that opinion, as it seems to be fairly highly-rated by others. I will add that while I haven't seen many Indian horror films, this was more sadistic than I expected.   (5/10)

P.S.: I will add that this film is offered in 3 language versions on Netflix. Not knowing which was the original, I chose Hindi, but from what I've read after the fact, it was shot in Tamil and Telugu. 

• Like 2

The_Forest_of_Love.jpg

The Forest of Love  (2019)  Japan/Dir: Sion Sono  -  Bizarre black comedy/drama/thriller/horror mash-up from oddball writer-director Sono. Some young filmmakers get involved with a strange, sadistic musician/con-artist/serial murderer (Kippei Shina), as well as a group of women who survived a tragedy back in their high school days. This very long (over 2 and 1/2 hours), meandering mess tries to be outrageous, with a lot of casual bloody violence and graphic sexuality, but for me it came across as trying too hard. I'm sure it has a cult following, as do many of Sono's films.   (4/10)

• Like 2