Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

3 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Why wouldn't Viridiana be considered a Spanish film?  Bunuel isn't a Mexican director, he was a Spanish director living in exile in Mexico.  The Spanish authorities were notoriously both enraged by the film, that had gone to Cannes without thorough vetting, and embarrassed when the Vatican criticized it as blasphemous.

Quite right.  It is called a mistake.  Some people make them from time to time.  I originally listed it as a film from Mexico.  No doubt taken from a book or a handout at a screening of the film which also made a mistake.  It was a co-production.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:20 AM, Bogie56 said:

The 1961 Academy Award Best Foreign Language Films …

S%C3%A5som-i-en-spegel-1961.jpeg

Through a Glass Darkly (1961) Ingmar Bergman, Sweden ****

220px-Harry_and_the_Butler_(1961).jpg

Harry and the Butler (1961) Bent Christensen, Denmark

85283-immortal-love-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Immortal Love (1961) Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan

cDYv92GKMfJwSXvZyOLICmb4mfu.jpg?partner=

The Important Man (1961) Ismael Rodriguez, Mexico

Placido_poster.png.500x715_q85_crop-smar

Placido (1961) Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain

It occurs to me that since the Academy started having competitive oscars for best foreign language film in 1956, we can also include the official nominees each country chose before the Academy selected five from them.  The list of submissions for 1961 can be seen here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submissions_to_the_34th_Academy_Awards_for_Best_Foreign_Language_Film

Last Year in Marienbad and La Notte are the most famous also-rans for 1961.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

A note on nationality: as we move further into the 1960's we'll start getting to the Chinese territory films that I've seen. I'll do my best to differentiate between those from mainland China, those from Hong Kong, and those from Taiwan. The majority will be from Hong Kong, at least until we reach the 1980's.

Yeah, I'll have some Hong Kong martial arts films in my lists too but that's still not for a few lists.

The winner of the 1961 Prix Jean Vigo was …

MV5BYmE4MjA2NzItOTE1Ni00YWQ4LTkzYjAtYmZm

Skin and Bones (1961) Jean-Paul Sassy, France

• Thanks 3

On 8/5/2018 at 12:20 PM, LawrenceA said:

Re: The Important Man - Toshiro Mifune starred in a Mexican movie? I was not aware of it. That's certainly one for my "to see" list.

Ánimas Trujano/The Important Man is a good movie, and Toshiro Mifune is excellent as a ne'er-do-well peasant who wants to be mayordomo in a religious festival. He learned the dialog phonetically and was dubbed by Mexican actor Narciso Busquets.

Worth watching.

• Thanks 3

Michael Gebert’s Golden Armchair Award for the 1961 foreign film was …

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4mbSfhlALBb05bcf3wut

Such a Long Absence (1961) Henri Colpi, France

Michael Gebert’s Golden Armchair Award for the 1962 foreign film was …

600full-divorce-italian-style-poster.jpg

Divorce-Italian Style (1961) Pietro Geri, Italy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Regarding Viridiana,

Silvia Pinal wanted to work with Luis Buñuel, and asked him to adapt Benito Pérez Galdós' Tristana as a vehicle for her. Buñuel liked the idea, but couldn't find anyone to finance the movie, so the project was canceled.

A few years later Silvia Pinal married Mexican business man Gustavo Alatriste. Alatriste wanted to venture in the film industry and promised Pinal he would finance any movie she wanted. Pinal and Alatriste contacted Buñuel about adapting another Pérez Galdós novel, Viridiana. Buñuel, still an exile in Mexico, again was interested, but he knew that it would be easier to film the movie in Spain and he didn't want to go back to his country. Finally Pinal, Alatriste, Juan Antonio Bardem, and Carlos Saura convinced Buñuel to shoot the movie in Spain. Two Spanish filmmakers, Pere Portabella and Ricardo Muñoz Suay also worked as producers of the film. So now Viridiana had one Mexican producer and two Spanish. Buñuel changed the ending of the movie to comply with the Spanish censorship and he even liked the new ending better -there was no game of cards in the original ending.

The day after the movie premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, the Vatican City condemned the movie as blasphemous, and Spain followed through. Franco not only ordered the movie destroyed but also erased from all archives and prohibited newspapers from even mentioning the film. Viridiana didn't exist in Spain.

Gustavo Alatriste managed to smuggle a copy out of Spain and brought it to Mexico, where, as one of the producers, arranged to make Viridiana officially a Mexican film.

Viridiana finally opened in Spain in 1977 and was declared a Spanish film in 1982.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1961 Belgium Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to …

460768f874bdc95cf6dd1a95778a1227.jpg

Viridiana (1961) Luis Bunuel, Spain

• Like 3

The 1961 Argentinian Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to …

MV5BMjllYmY5ZjMtMGIxYy00YmEwLTk5ZmYtYzEy

Alias Big Shot (1961) Lautaro Murua, Argentina

• Thanks 3

You say De Sica.  I say De Seta.  De Sica, De Seta let's call the whole thing off.

hqdefault.jpg

Vittorio De Seta's Bandits of Orgosolo is about two shepherd brothers who work in the mountains of Sardinia.  Their camp is invaded by bandits and when one of the chasing authorities is killed the elder brother is lumped in with the wanted.  This was my number five choice just behind some classics.

Bandits3-1600x900-c-default.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Postmaster.jpg

Three Daughters by Satyajit Ray is a trio of short stories.   One of its episodes was cut for the international release and you will probably find most prints and reference are for the version called Two Daughters.  But it has been restored and a dvd release (at least in Europe) has all three chapters.

The first story, pictured above concerns The Postmaster in a poor village who takes in an orphan girl as his housekeeper.  It is the most touching episode.

image-w1280.jpg?1445932130

The Lost Jewels concerns a wife's obsession for jewelry.  It is told like a ghost story.  This was the episode cut for international release.

a4f6b76d04661f70f806652929900f0b.png

Samapti (the Conclusion) is about a young man's difficult new marriage to a tomboy.

• Like 4

The 1961 Danish Bodil Award for Best Picture went to …

HATB-2.jpg

Harry and the Butler (1961) Bent Christensen, Denmark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

mother-joan-3.png

Mother Joan of the Angels - Atmospheric Polish horror film on demonic possession. A priest visits a convent after he hears that they have been possessed by demons. Mother Joan is possessed by 8 demons including one named "Dog Tail." This one was very dark and the cinematographic style reminded me of Carl Theodor Dreyer particularly his Joan of Arc movie. I liked this movie a lot and would recommend it.

• Like 4

Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists 1960/61 Best Picture winner was …

162184d6c3e15d6c31fdf30f415a511b.jpg

La Notte (1961) Michaelangelo Antonioni, Italy

• Thanks 2

1. Viridiana. Luis Buñuel. Spain/Mexico. With Silvia Pinal, Franisco Rabal, and Fernando Rey.

Viridiana-1961-09.jpg

2. L'Année Dernière à Mareinbad/Last Year at Marienbad. Alain Resnais. France.With Delphine Seyrig, Giorgio Albertazzi, Sasha Pioëff.

image_Marienbad-6.png

3. Såsom i en Spegel/Through a Glass Darkly. Ingmar Bergman. Sweden. With Harriet Andersson, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Max von Sydow.

vlcsnap-2012-01-05-17h40m15s76.png

4. Plácido. Luis García Berlanga. Spain. With Cassen, José Luis López Vázquez, Elvira Quintillá.

Pl%C3%A1cido.jpg

5. Divorzio all'italiana/Divorce Italian Style. Pietro Germi. Italy. With Marcello Mastroianni, Daniella Rocca, Stefania Sandrelli.

Cteq_Divorce-Italian-Style-750x400.jpg

6. Yojimbo. Akira Kurosawa. Japan. With Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai.

Yojimbo-main-2.jpg?fit=800,450

• Like 5

220px-Clear_Skies_(film).jpg

Clear Skies - Soviet war film from Chukhrai. A pilot is downed and captured by the Nazis. When he gets back to Russia he is considered a traitor for not fighting to the death and "allowing" himself to be captured. This movie had very good cinematography and the full film is on YouTube. 

• Like 4

The 1961 winner of the Japan Blue Ribbon Award was …

220px-Pigs_and_Battleships_1961.jpg

Pigs and Battleships (1961) Shohei Imamura, Japan

• Thanks 3

The 1961 winner of the Mainichi Film Award was …

Human+Condition+III+A+Soldiers+Prayer.jp

The Human Condition Part 3 (1961) Masaki Kobayashi, Japan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Winner of the 1961 Berlin International Film Festival was this foreign language film …

1f7cc0f1dc4743e7296e6d0606ffb5f2.jpg

La Notte (1961) Michaelangelo Antonioni, Italy

• Thanks 3

The Winners of the 1961 Cannes Film Festival …

057170.jpg

Such a Long Absence (1961) Henri Colpi, France

97a9d74c7d4037a404021b51c177495a--classi

Viridiana (1961) Luis Bunuel, Spain

• Thanks 2

0c01be92259373ea65056784a8479ea5--aussi-

I may have been expecting too much from Henri Colpi's Such a Long Absence, or The Long Absence because of the awards that it garnered.  But it failed to wow me the first time around.  Alida Valli is well cast as a widowed cafe owner.   Georges Wilson plays an amnesiactic homeless man who bears a striking resemblance to her husband that was missing, presumed dead in the war 16 years before.  Valli takes to feeding him and tries to kindle a friendship and hopes to spark some memories in the man.  Is it really him or is she deluding herself?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This foreign language film won at the 1961 Venice Film Festival ….

6a14050c1588b0f198b9b04f4b046ec5.jpg

Last Year at Marienbad (1961) Alain Resnais, France

• Like 2

The 1962 Locarno International Film Festival foreign film winner was …

wxUGQW3LpZa1vwhTYo4HDolhpVc.jpg?partner=

The Winner/Un Coeur Gros Comme ca (1961) Francois Reichenbach, France

• Thanks 2

The 1961 San Francisco International Film Festival Best Picture winner was …

MV5BNmYyMzc1ZmQtOWQwMS00N2I5LWI5ZTAtOTY2

The Important Man (1961) Ismael Rodriguez, Mexico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

latest?cb=20070119202338

Hamlet, Prince of Denmark - Maximilian Schell stars in this West German movie version of the Shakespeare play. I saw the MST3K riff of this movie. The cinematography was really boring and the sets and futurist costumes were completely terrible. The movie looked like it was filmed inside of a prison. This is what Hamlet's father looks like. :wacko: 

mstghost.gif

One interesting aspect of this film though is that Ricardo Montalban voiced Claudius in the dubbed version. This is easily the worst version of Hamlet I've seen. Even at little over 1 hour and 30 minutes it still feels longer and more boring than most other versions of Hamlet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1