Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

The 1971 Locarno International Film Festival foreign film winners included …

In-punto-di-morte-dvd.jpg

On the Point of Death (1971) Mario Garriba, Italy

hanno-cambiato-faccia-movie-poster-md.jp

They Have Changed Their Face (1971) Corrado Farina, Italy

media.jpg

The Friends (1971) Gerard Blain, France

• Thanks 1

Winners of the 1971 Moscow International Film Festival ….

381.jpg

The White Bird Marked With Black (1971) Yuri Liyenko, Russia

iphone360_198583.jpg

Confessions of a Police Captain (1971) Damiano Damiani, Italy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1971:

1.) Utvandrarna/The Emigrants. Jan Troell. Sweden. With Max von Sydow, Liv Ullmann.

MV5BMTgzMGNmN2EtMjUxZC00ODZjLTliMTctZmFi

2.) Mi Querida Señorita/My Deareast Señorita. Jaime de Armiñán. Spain. With José Luis López Vázquez, Julieta Serrano, Antonio Ferrándiz.

Mi-Querida-Senorita-650x316.png

3.) Solaris. Andrei Tarkovsky. USSR. With Donatas Banionis, Natalya Bondarchuk.

6534.D_1200_700.jpg?1478226530

4.) Ángeles y Querubines/Angeles and Cherubs. Rafael Corkidi. Mexico. With Jorge Humberto Robles, Helena Rojo, Ana Luisa Peluffo.

Cx4pNQdVQAERXaD.jpg

5.) Le Souffle au Cœur/Murmur of the Heart. Louis Malle. France. With Lea Massari, Benoît Ferreux.

Murmur-of-the-Heart-1971-01-37-16.jpg

• Like 4

Hans-Staden-03.jpg

How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman - This movie is based off of the life of Hans Staden. A Frenchman is captured by the Portuguese who are in turn attacked by a warring tribe. The tribe believes the Frenchman to be Portuguese and argue over whether they should eat him. The Frenchman says if they eat him his God will be mad. This movie is a very authentic recreation of the time period and is very well made. The entire movie is mostly Tupi, the native language of this very tribe. It is definitely worth a look. 

• Like 3

lulu_the_tool07.jpg

Lulu the Tool - A worker is wounded while on the job. This leads him to fight for better worker rights in his factory. This is a very good for Gian Maria Volonte, an actor known for spaghetti westerns. The composer Morricone has a cameo near the end of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

when_we_pick_apples-%EC%82%AC%EA%B3%BC%E

When We Pick Apples - Kye Ok and Jong Ok are sisters who work at the same apple orchard. Jong Ok wishes to not waste any apples and considers it shocking to see so many fallen apples rotting on the ground and makes up her mind to save more of them for the people, as required by the party whereas Kye Ok cares more about her husband and individual life than helping and tending to the apple orchard. This movie is about conserving resources and sharing them with everyone as opposed to wasting and disregarding like in "the old Feudal order." The girls' grandfather even reminds them of how he used to be a slave whose children were killed by the old Feudal lord of the region. The work team leader and Kye Ok both receive criticism for “forgetting the orders of the Father Leader." This movie is about criticizing ideological imperfections and is a very stiff movie. Is worth a look if you want to see how self criticism in the secluded country is viewed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thumb_2223_media_image_926x584.jpg

Love - the mother of an ideological opponent who has been imprisoned is led to believe he is in America. This was a bit touching in places but kind of bored me.

MV5BMjExNTczMTgyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ0\

Yesenia - This movie from Mexico is about a carefree gypsy and a strict military man who fall in love. This one is a sappy drama. I didn't really care for it. 

• Like 3

episode24.jpg?w=700

Godzilla vs Hedorah aka Godzilla vs the Smog Monster is arguably the best-known of the 70's-era Godzilla films, thanks to it falling into the public domain in the U.S. and thus appearing on TV countless times and being made available on home video formats in various shabby editions. Thankfully it has received the full remastering treatment and looks great on Blu-Ray. It's silly, and has a very heavy-handed environmental message, but the movie's still a lot of fun, and the shape-shifting Hedorah is an amusing foe.

cat_title_756_426_81_s.jpg

The Cat o' Nine Tails is a prime example of the giallo genre from Dario Argento. James Franciscus teams up with a blind Karl Malden to find the perpetrator of a series of murders. It has Argento's great visual flair, and, with Malden, one of the better protagonists in an Argento film.

uzn_15366769790.jpg

The Big Boss aka Fists of Fury was the movie that made Bruce Lee a superstar throughout East Asia, and was for a time the biggest box-office hit in Hong Kong history. Lee oozes charisma in this based-on-a-true-story tale about a worker in an ice factory who stands up against murderous corruption. It has Lee's patented fight choreography, and is a bit more violent than his later, more well-known films.

81tMEGFArJL._SX342_.jpg51RBT0JX5VL._SY445_.jpg

A Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve is one of Mario Bava's best late-period films. Again, it's basically another giallo murder mystery, only with a rural setting, and grizzlier deaths. The movie has been cited as a major influence on the slasher sub-genre of horror, particularly the first (non-Jason) Friday the 13th.

• Like 4

Philosophy and Truth, Jean Flechet, France (1965)

maxresdefault.jpg

Philosophy and Truth - "Postmodernists in their cars and libraries getting coffee" is a good way of putting this documentary. The film revolves around a discussion of truth, philosophy, the grand epoch, and how they all form together in totality. Among the philosophers present in the discussion/ interview are Foucault, Badiou, Dreyfus, Hyppolite, Canguilhem and Ricoeur. This film is largely static shots but the intro and scene changes reminded me heavily of the French new wave films of the era, particularly with the soundtrack and rapid cuts. I recommend this one to anyone interested in postmodernism. This film is Foucault's only screen credit on IMDB btw and he only speaks in the first few minutes. He did not seem too interested in the conversation as he was more interested on how to work with philosophy. The rest seemed to question his opinion of discourse as a philosophical truth. Overall I give this one a 6/10. It is a decent overview of postmodern thought but nothing particularly interesting or engaging. I saw this one on YouTube. It is up with English closed captions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 10/12/2018 at 4:43 AM, Bogie56 said:

Perhaps some may wish to fill that space with some of the films from pre 1971 that they have since seen and missed posting about before.

Here are the foreign language films that I've seen in October, from the years that we've covered since we started this thread:

• Caltiki the Immortal Monster, Riccardo Freda & Mario Bava, Italy (7/10)
  • Uncle Was a Vampire, Steno, Italy (5/10)

• The 1,000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse, Fritz Lang, West Germany (7/10)
  • The Housemaid, Kim Ki-young, South Korea (7/10)
  • The Cloud-Capped Star, Ritwik Ghatak, India (7/10)

• Chronicle of a Summer, Edgar Morin & Jean Rouch, France (5/10)

• Amphibian Man, Vladimir Chebotaryov & Gennadiy Kazanskiy, USSR (8/10)
  • The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Riccardo Freda, Italy (7/10)

• Castle of Blood, Sergio Corbucci & Antonio Margheriti, Italy (7/10)

• Army of Shadows, Jean-Pierre Melville, France (8/10)

• White Sun of the Desert, Vladimir Motyl, USSR (8/10)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Here are the foreign language films that I saw in September, from the years that we've already covered in this thread:

1. Toni, Jean Renoir, France (8/10)
  2. Walpurgis Night, Gustaf Edgren, Sweden (7/10)
  3. Swedenhielms Family, Gustaf Molander, Sweden (5/10)

1. Equinox Flower, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (8/10)
  2. The Magician, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (7/10)
  3. Letter from Siberia, Chris Marker, France (7/10)
  4. The Rickshaw Man, Hiroshi Inagaki, Japan (7/10)
  5. Night Drum, Tadashi Imai, Japan (7/10)
  6. Perfect Game, Toshio Masuda, Japan (7/10)
  7. The Eternal Rainbow, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan (7/10)
  8. The Chase, Yoshitaro Nomura, Japan (7/10)
  9. Rusty Knife, Toshio Masuda, Japan (6/10)
  10. Le Beau Serge, Claude Chabrol, France (6/10)
  11. Stolen Desire, Shohei Imamura, Japan (6/10)
  12. The Night Heaven Fell, Roger Vadim, France (5/10)
  13. The Robot vs the Aztec Mummy, Rafael Portillo, Mexico (2/10)

1. The World of Apu, Satyajit Ray, India (8/10)
  2. The Bridge, Bernhard Wicki, West Germany (8/10)
  3. Odd Obsession, Kon Ichikawa, Japan (7/10)
  4. Les Cousins, Claude Chabrol, France (7/10)
  5. Two Men in Manhattan, Jean-Pierre Melville, France (7/10)
  6. Samurai Saga, Hiroshi Inagaki, Japan (7/10)
  7. The Ghost of Yotsuya, Noguo Nakagawa, Japan (7/10)
  8. A Town of Love and Hope, Nagisa Oshima, Japan (7/10)
  9. Farewell to Spring, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan (6/10)
  10. Thus Another Day, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan (6/10)
  11. The Snow Flurry, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan (6/10)
  12. India: Matri Bhumi, Roberto Rossellini, Italy (6/10)
  • Like 4

A recent discovery for me was The Shop on Main Street ("Obchod na Korze") by Ján Kadár and Elmar Klos, Czechoslovakia 1965. Kadár was a Hungarian Jew who lost his family in Auschwitz. The story takes place in Sabinov, a small village in Slovakia. Jozef Korner doesn't play a hero of the Resistance, but an ordinary man whose main pleasure is walking his dog. His brother on the contrary is a collaborator who can buy nice things for his wife. Ida Kaminska plays the old Jewish woman in the store, who doesn't seem to understand what's going on, until she pronounces the word pogrom. It gives a good view on everyday life, with simple clothes, cheap interiors and a cuckoo clock. The tension comes from the moral dilemma of the sweating protagonist.

8f389a4b-cadb-11e7-9a4b-000c29a578f8.jpg

• Like 4

Has anyone seen Mysteries of Lisbon (2010)? It's a Portuguese movie that's on one of my to-see lists, and I'm trying to finish up seeing all of said lists this go-round of my movie watching. However, I've just learned that it's 4 and a half hours long, and I don't know if I want to invest that much time into a single movie that I know very little about. So, has anyone seen it or have an opinion on it?

fid11401.jpg

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Has anyone seen Mysteries of Lisbon (2010)? It's a Portuguese movie that's on one of my to-see lists, and I'm trying to finish up seeing all of said lists this go-round of my movie watching. However, I've just learned that it's 4 and a half hours long, and I don't know if I want to invest that much time into a single movie that I know very little about. So, has anyone seen it or have an opinion on it?

fid11401.jpg

I have seen it, it's my favorite movie of 2010, and you should definitely see it.  (It also has my favorite for Best Supporting Actor of 2010).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1