Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

Here are the foreign language films that I saw in August, from the years that we've already covered:

1. Kameradschaft, G.W. Pabst, Germany (7/10)

1. Touchez Pas au Grisbi, Jacques Becker, France (8/10)

1. Aparajito, Satyajit Ray, India (8/10)
  2. Elena and Her Men, Jean Renoir, France (6/10)

1. Il Grido, Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy (8/10)
  2. Tokyo Twilight, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (8/10)
  3. Le Notti Bianche, Luchino Visconti, Italy (7/10)
  4. Miracles of Thursday, Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain (7/10)
  5. Black River, Masaki Kobayashi, Japan (7/10)
  6. I Am Waiting, Koreyoshi Kurahara, Japan (7/10)
  7. Mother India, Mehboob Khan, India (6/10)
  8. La Parisienne, Michel Boisrond, France (6/10)

1. Elevator to the Gallows, Louis Malle, France (8/10)
  2. The Ballad of Narayama, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan (8/10)
  3. Conflagration, Kon Ichikawa, Japan (7/10)
  4. Endless Desire, Shohei Imamura, Japan (7/10)
  • Like 3

Here are the foreign language films that I watched in June and July from the years that we've already covered in this thread. 

1. Shoeshine, Vittorio De Sica, Italy (10/10)
  2. Utamaro and His Five Women, Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan (7/10)

1. Record of a Tenement Gentleman, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (7/10)
  2. Snow Trail, Senkichi Taniguchi, Japan (7/10)
  3. Les Maudits, Rene Clement, France (7/10)

1. Germany Year Zero, Roberto Rossellini, Italy (8/10)
  2. Port of Call, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (7/10)
  3. Women of the Night, Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan (7/10)
  4. L'amore, Roberto Rossellini, Italy (7/10)
  5. A Hen in the Wind, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (7/10)

1. The Walls of Malapaga, Rene Clement, France (7/10)

1. La Ronde, Max Ophuls, France (8/10)
  2. The Flowers of St. Francis, Roberto Rossellini, Italy (7/10)

1. Miss Julie, Alf Sjoberg, Sweden (7/10)
  2. Baby Beats the Band, Jean Boyer, France (5/20)

1. Summer with Monika, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (8/10)
  2. Sawdust and Tinsel, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (8/10)

1. Sound of the Mountain, Mikio Naruse, Japan (8/10)
  2. Senso, Luchino Visconti, Italy (7/10)
  3. A Story from Chikamatsu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan (7/10)
  4. A Lesson in Love, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (7/10)
  5. Fear, Roberto Rossellini, Italy (7/10)
  • Like 3

MV5BOGRkY2IxYjItODgxOC00YzgxLWIwMmMtMDU4

The French Way (1940) - This one was a TCM Import a few months ago and I saw it then. This film was shot in 1940 but was only released in 1945 after WWII. Josephine Baker is a singer who helps two lovers get together. The lovers' parents hate each other so they have to hide and sneak around. All this while bombs are dropping and people flee to the air raid shelters. This was an okay film. Worth viewing for any Baker fans. 

• Like 3

1934_Zouzou.jpg

Zou-Zou (1934) - Another Josephine Baker musical. Baker plays a woman who grew up in the circus. Her friend she grew up with is accused of murder and she must set things straight. This one had a few good numbers and is worth a look. 

• Like 3

MV5BMzM5OTY4NDg2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODU3

Mexicanos al grito de Guerra (1943) - I saw this one almost a decade ago when TCM was showing Mexican films because of the 100th anniversary of the Revolution. In this film a Mexican patriot and the daughter of a French ambassador of Napoleon (who was occupying the country at the time) fall in love. I don't remember much of this film but I remember the funny and clumsy way Napoleon III was portrayed. Napoleon III tries to tax every window and door! (not sure of the historical accuracy of that) This film is decent and worth a look.

• Like 3

pedro_paramo-134348716-large.jpg

Pedro Páramo. Carlos Velo. Mexico. With John Gavin, Ignacio López Tarso, Pilar Pellicer, Carlos Fernández, Narciso Busquets, Julissa. 1967.

A young man (Carlos Fernández) searches for his father (John Gavin) in a ghost town. Pedro Páramo is a great challenge to adapt into a film; perhaps to great a challenge. This film version is admirable, carefully made, with a good script, excellent cinematography and set design, and some scenes are well staged and effective. It is certainly a watchable and involving movie. Carlos Velo almost gets the right tone and message across, but almost. Sometimes the movie misses the point of the book, and the movie becomes solemn instead of mysterious, stately instead of haunting.

pedro-paramo-museo-amparo-puebla-2017040

The movie also suffers from some casting mistakes. John Gavin is completely wrong and unconvincing as Pedro Páramo; Julissa, a fine actress in the right role,  is too lightweight as Ana Rentería; bodybuilder Jorge Rivero as Miguel Páramo is almost a sight gag. The rest of the supporting cast is excellent, however. Pilar Pellicer Susana and Narciso Busquets as Bartolomé San Juan are outstanding. Narciso Busquets would have been perfect as Pedro Páramo.

Not as evocative as the novel, but worth watching.

• Like 3

MV5BM2FlNTE2OTAtNmNmOC00ZmQxLWE0NGQtZGFh

Admiral Ushakov (1953) - This film is about Admiral Ushakov from the 18th century. The film follows his court intrigues, his exploits in the military (including ridding a town of the plague and building ships) and his fighting in Crimea. This one has nice recreations and nice costumes. I recommend it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The self Styled Siren had a blog posts that contains foreign movies, some of which haven't been mentioned so far in this thread.  (She also mentions some American/English movies which I didn't feel the need to include.)

2017: The Year in Old Movies (because measuring it in other ways wouldn't be nearly as pleasant)

The 10 best of what the Siren watched in 2017, presented without preamble, and in alphabetical order. The Siren wishes her patient readers a most happy 2018.

thebigcity.jpg

The Big City (Mahanagar; directed by Satyajit Ray, 1963. Viewed on Criterion DVD)
Madhabi Mukherjee’s performance instantly became an all-time favorite. It is part of Satyajit Ray’s genius that he refuses to make her husband (Anil Chatterjee, half lummox, half mensch) into a villain, instead showing how the man’s prejudices give way not only to love of his wife, but common sense.

los-tallos-amargos-2.jpg

Bitter Stems (Los Tallos Amargos; directed by Fernando Ayala, 1956. Viewed at Metrograph)
The Siren thinks this may be the noirest noir of them all. The movie weaves together guilt and ambivalence over Argentina’s history in World War II with the hero’s (Carlos Cores) own psychological unraveling. Magnificent cinematography by the Chilean Ricardo Younis. Do read Raquel Stecher’s post on the film’s restoration; you will see how close we came to losing this beauty forever. The Siren was so impressed that she donated to the Film Noir Foundation as thanks.

der-glaeserne-turm_2-300dpi-15cm.jpg

The Glass Tower (Der gläserne Turm, directed by Harald Braun, 1957. Viewed during Film Society of Lincoln Center’s series The Lost Years of German Cinema: 1949–1963.)
A classic women's picture about the emotional abuse inflicted on a former actress (Lilli Palmer) by a secretly psychotic tycoon husband (O.E. Hasse). You’d know this film influenced Rainer Werner Fassbinder even if the program notes never said so. The Siren loved the way it suddenly became almost an Agatha Christie mystery, loved the design (by Walter Haag) that envisions the couple’s life as a series of elegant glass-walled prison cells. The plot resembles Under Capricorn, but the film plays out to its resolution in a much more satisfying way. (Bosley Crowther’s review is possibly the most sexist thing he ever wrote, which is saying something.)

illbeseeingyou.jpg

I’ll Be Seeing You (directed by William Dieterle, 1945. Viewed on Kino Classics DVD).
Somehow the Siren had missed this delicate wartime romance, which boasts one of Ginger Rogers’ most heartfelt and touching performances. As her character and that of Joseph Cotten gradually fall in love, you realize you are watching two psychically wounded people trying to heal. The Siren much prefers this to the better-known Love Letters (same year, same director), which has a torpid screenplay by Ayn Rand; I’ll Be Seeing You has a screenplay by Marion Parsonnet, whose credits include Gilda. The Siren saw I’ll Be Seeing You while researching her video essay on Ginger Rogers’ dramatic roles, which will be included in Arrow Films’ Blu-Ray release of Magnificent Doll in February 2018.

letrou.jpg

Le Trou (The Hole; directed by Jacques Becker, 1960. Viewed at Film Forum’s run of the 4K digital restoration.)
The Siren has a new favorite prison movie. And while this may surprise you, the Siren tends to like prison movies. The late-movie payoff is one that many Hollywood directors would sell a kidney to come up with.

falbalas.jpeg

Paris Frills (Falbalas; directed by Jacques Becker, 1945. Viewed on MUBI.)
It’s a pity this isn’t widely available, as it makes a terrific companion piece to Paul Thomas Anderson’s Phantom Thread. The Siren would love to know if Anderson saw it. Paris Frills also concerns an egotistical couturier (Raymond Rouleau), whose atelier is also in a palatial townhouse, and who also runs roughshod over the people around him, with much different consequences. Becker is more concerned than PTA with the daily labor of “les petits mains” and with suggesting all the lives beyond those of his leads. The Siren’s favorite scene involved the couturier, deep in a selfish funk about a love affair, being told off by Solange (Gabrielle Dorziat), his equivalent of Phantom Thread’s Cyril: “I don’t give a damn about her. She has time for sentimental complications, where here there are 300 who can’t be permitted that, and who you are going to put out in the street.” (Note for the Siren’s fellow lovers of fashion history: The gowns were by Rochas.)

rosesbloom.jpeg

Roses Bloom on the Moorland (Rosen blühen auf dem Heidegrab; directed by Hans H. König, 1952. Viewed as part of the FSLC Lost Years series.)
The Siren’s surprise of the year. One alternate title is Rape on the Moorland, which didn’t exactly sound like her sort of thing, and she saw it only because it was screening at a rare moment that found her in the Walter Reade neighborhood. The film turned out to be a unique combination of Universal horror movie and rural romance, with Ruth Niehaus splendid as the death-haunted peasant heroine, and Hermann Schomberg storming through his scenes as the **** villain. König makes exquisite use of the windswept, Bronte-esque setting, but what really sold the Siren was the denouement, with its unexpected warmth and humanity.

ruthless.jpg

Ruthless (directed by Edgar G. Ulmer, 1948. Viewed as part of the MoMA series “Poverty Row.”)
Written about in the Siren’s roundup of this series at the Village Voice.

Tonka of the Gallows (Tonka Sibenice, directed by Karel Anton, 1930. Viewed as part of MoMA’s series “Ecstasy and Irony: Czech Cinema, 1927–1943.”)
The Siren wrote her heart out about this one at her Film Comment blog.

Honorable mention, among many others seen and enjoyed:

iknewherwell.jpg

I Knew Her Well (Antonio Pietrangeli, Italy 1965)

kristian.jpg

Kristian (Martin Fric, Czechoslovakia, 1939)

S%25CC%258Ct%25CC%258Castnou%2Bcestu%2B%2528Happy%2BJourney%2529%2BB0879a02.jpg

Happy Journey (Otakar Vavra, Czechoslovakia 1943)

falsefaces.jpg

False Faces (Lowell Sherman, U.S. 1932)

swordofdoom.jpg

Sword of Doom (Kihachi Okamoto, Japan 1966)

blackgravel.jpg

Black Gravel (Helmut Kautner, Germany, 1961. Note: This one is not for dog lovers.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The one noteworthy foreign language film I've seen from this period so far covered by this thread is Joris Iven's 1968 French movie The 17th Parallel.  This is a documentary made by Ivens showing the Vietnam War from the viewpoint of North Vietnamese villages near the title border.  Ivens had a long history as a radical, often pro-Communist filmmaker, and see the villagers very determined, and somewhat angry, at the Americans bombing their country.  We see bomb shelters, underground passageways as well as teams who quickly fill in bomb craters.  We also see the villagers react to the actual bombing, not to mention anti-aircraft teams and people who seek to salvage material from unexploded bombs and the occasional downed plane.  You can see the movie here:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone.  It has taken me about 30 minutes to get this 'submit reply' field from my computer in the UK.  I experienced the same problems in Spain.  (Cora are you experiencing any problems where you are?) It seems TCM has a new website as of this summer for these countries tcm.turner.com which allows one to view the main page and the schedule only.  When you try to access the message centre you get a 'too many redirects' error and the page fails to load.  I have discovered a hit and miss work-around that is both time consuming and frustrating.  For instance, I will eventually be able to submit reply with this post but if I want to add a picture it will be best to try to edit this post and do so then.  That make take another 10 minutes.   If I try to do it all it one go it will inevitably fail and it may take me another 20 or 30 minutes just to get back to where I am right now!

I had a lot planned for the coming weeks.  I'll do my best.  Meanwhile ...

Here are a few more late additions from films that I have recently seen or revisited …

6449_cielosullapalude02.jpg

1.  Heaven Over the Marshes (1949) Augusto Genina, Italy

This is my new number one FF choice for 1949.  It follows the true story of Maria Goretti a poor farm girl who was made a Saint.  It's closer in style to Bicycle Thieves (1948) than to The Song of Bernadette (1943) which is interesting for a film that winds up with a religious theme.  It also reminded me of Ermanno Olmi's The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978).  It doesn't sugar coat life one bit.

hqdefault.jpg

7.  Under the Paris Sky (1951) Julien Duvivier, France.

I admired the filmmakers attempt at something a bit different.  Several characters and their stories are intertwined in what at first looks like a non-dramatic view of life in Paris.

Sundays+and+Cybele+27a.jpg

3.  Sundays and Cybele (1962) Serge Bourguignon, France.

This may have been my top FF if it wasn't an early-sixties film which has so many greats.  There are great interviews with Hardy Kruger and Patricia Gozzi on youtube about Cybele which probably came from dvd extras.  This was quite obviously a career favourite of Kruger's.

• Like 3

Sampo-3.jpg

Sampo, Aleksandr Ptushko, Finland, Russia

This fantasy film is based on a Finnish fairy tale. The evil witch captures Annikki so that Lemminkainen and her father are forced to build the Sampo that she desires. After he outsmarts her and gets his daughter back the witch steals the sun plunging the world into permanent night. Lemminkainen goes off to do battle with the witch and save the planet. This one is a very well made film with nice effects and an interesting story. Annikki's actress is very pretty too. I recommend this film. 

• Like 3

talesofthetairaclan.jpg

Tales of the Taira Clan (1955) Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan or Taira Clan Saga didn't quite squeak into my 1955 top ten but it is a good film nevertheless.   The Taira Clan are Samurai and wage campaigns for the Emperor when called upon.  Unfortunately they are viewed as low caste and their loyalty goes unrewarded by the Court which is heavily influenced by the Monks who are no shrinking violets themselves.  It's more political and social intrigue than action.  The crowd scenes are done very well.

• Like 3

The Shield and the Sword, Vladimir Basov, Russia, Poland & East Germany 

4f4480948f23f4.81914144.jpeg

The Shield and the Sword - This is my new favorite of 1968. Alexander Belov is undercover in Nazi Germany during WWII as "Johann Weiss." There he gets a job as a driver but is promoted to an important military position. It is his duty to get important information on Nazi military plans back behind the Soviet lines. This is a good spy movie and Stanislav Lyubshin plays Belov as a slick agent and operative, quick on his feet and always one step ahead of the Germans. The German civilians are also shown in a humane light as unfortunate working class people swept up in the Nazi world beyond their control. They have to serve in the military and fight and die just to stay alive. They are shown as very human and with weaknesses and strengths like everyone else. This is a very good film and I definitely recommend it. 

• Like 4

My top FF films of 1972 of the 23 that I have seen are ….

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReqHt7pxg2fHUkvagCGwq

1.  The Goalie’s Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (1972) Wim Wenders, Germany

2.  State of Siege (1972) Constantin Costa-Gavras, France

3.  The New Land (1972) Jan Troell, Sweden

4.  The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) Luis Bunuel, France

5.  Aguirre the Wrath of God (1972) Werner Herzog, Germany

6.  Under the Flag of the Rising Sun (1972) Kinji Fukasaku, Japan

7.  Lone Wolf and Cub 2: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972) Kenji Misumi, Japan

8.  Lone Wolf and Cub 4: Baby Cart In Peril (1972) Buichi Saito, Japan

9.  Cries and Whispers (1972) Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

10. The Seduction of Mimi (1972) Lina Wertmuller, Italy

Chloe In the Afternoon (1972) Eric Rohmer, France

Fist of Fury (1972) Lo Wei, Hong Kong.  [dubbed]

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972) Kenji Misumi, Japan

Lone Wolf and Cub 3: Baby Cart to Hades (1972) Kenji Misumi, Japan

Fellini’s Roma (1972) Federico Fellini, Italy

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (1972) Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany

Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972) Lucio Fulci, Italy

and I’ve also seen …

Siddhartha (1972) Conrad Rooks, India

My Dearest Senorita (1972) Jaime de Arminan, Spain

The Goat Horn (1972) Metodi Andonov, Bulgaria

Sambizanga (1972) Sarah Maldoror, Angola

Tout Va Bien (1972) Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Pierre Gorin, France

The Canterbury Tales (1972) Pier Paolo Pasolini, Italy

• Like 4

Discreet-Charm-of-the-Bourgeoisie2.jpg

1. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Luis Bunuel, France
  2. Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden
  3. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance, Kenji Misumi, Japan
  4. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx, Kenji Misumi, Japan
  5. The Way of the Dragon, Bruce Lee, Hong Kong
  6. Hanzo the Razor: Sword of Justice, Kenji Misumi, Japan
  7. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades, Kenji Misumi, Japan
  8. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril, Buichi Saito, Japan
  9. Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Werner Herzog, West Germany
  10. Five Fingers of Death, Chang-hwa Jeong, Hong Kong
  11. Tombs of the Blind Dead, Amando de Ossorio, Spain
  12. The Chinese Connection, Wei Lo, Hong Kong
  13. Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion, Shun'ya Ito, Japan
  14. Godzilla vs Gigan, Jun Fukuda, Japan
  15. The Scopone Game, Luigi Comencini, Italy
  16. Baron Blood, Mario Bava, Italy
  17. The Grand Duel, Giancarlo Santi, Italy
  18. Kung Fu, the Invincible Fist, See-Yuen Ng, Hong Kong
  19. The Italian Connection, Fernando Di Leo, Italy

HastyPaltryFish-size_restricted.gif

I've also seen:

51STWV2T0ML._SY445_.jpg

• Man from Deep River, Umberto Lenzi, Italy
  • Bloody Friday, Rolf Olsen & Lee Payant, West Germany
  • Zambo, King of the Jungle, Bitto Albertini, Italy
  • Justine de Sade, Claude Pierson, France
  • The Fury of the Wolf Man, Jose Maria Zabalza, Spain
  • Crime Boss, Alberto De Martino, Italy
  • It Can Be Done Amigo, Maurizio Lucidi, Italy
  • Dr. Jekyll vs the Werewolf, Leon Klimovsky, Spain
  • Frankenstein '80, Mario Mancini, Italy
  • The Boxer, Francesco Prosperi, Italy
  • Trinity and Sartana Are Coming, Mario Siciliano, Italy
  • Blood on the Sun, Shing Yuan Sun & Ting Mei Sung, Taiwan
  • Maniac Mansion, Francisco Lara Polop, Spain

la+mansiond+ela+niebla.bmp

1001 Movies You Must See

• Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Werner Herzog, West Germany
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany
  • Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden
  • The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Luis Bunuel, France
  • Red Psalm, Miklos Jancso, Hungary
  • Like 4

My top FF films of 1972

hqdefault.jpg

1.) The Dawns Here Are Quiet, Stanislav Rostotsky, Russia

2.) Aguirre the Wrath of God, Werner Herzog, West Germany

3.) The New Land, Jan Troell, Sweden

4.) Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

5.) The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany

6.) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Luis Bunuel, France

7.) Fellini’s Roma, Federico Fellini, Italy

8.) Fist of Fury, Lo Wei, Hong Kong

9.) Tout Va Bien, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Pierre Gorin, France

10.) Lacan Speaks, Françoise Wolff, Belgium

play_icon_overlay.png

hqdefault.jpg

8634-2.jpg

Man of the East,  Enzo Barboni, Italy

Chung Kuo- China, Michelangelo Antonioni, China

The Flower Girl,  Ik Kyu Choe, Hak Pak, North Korea

Chloe In the Afternoon, Eric Rohmer, France

Godzilla vs Gigan, Jun Fukuda, Japan

Don’t Torture a Duckling, Lucio Fulci, Italy

Queen Boxer,  Feng-Chi Yu, Taiwan

Sacrifice!, Umberto Lenzi, Italy 

Cut-Throats Nine, Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent, Spain

Justine de Sade, Claude Pierson, France

Baron Blood, Mario Bava, Italy

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

1001 Movies You Must See

• Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Werner Herzog, West Germany
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany
  • Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden
  • The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Luis Bunuel, France
  • Red Psalm, Miklos Jancso, Hungary

From the foreign editions-

hqdefault.jpg

1.) Eight Deadly Shots, Mikko Niskanen, Finnish edition

• Thanks 3

To clarify, The Chinese Connection on my list, and Fist of Fury on Bogie and Gershwin fan's lists, are the same movie. Bruce Lee's films have several titles, and it can get confusing. His 1971 breakthrough film, The Big Boss, was released in the U.S. as Fists of Fury. When Fist of Fury was released in the U.S., it became The Chinese Connection, in order to differentiate it from the earlier Fists of Fury. 1972's The Way of the Dragon was released here as Return of the Dragon, and only in recent years has it gone back to the original title.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

1972's The Way of the Dragon was released here as Return of the Dragon, and only in recent years has it gone back to the original title.

And Return of the Dragon isn't to be confused with Revolt of the Dragon (AKA the Brave Lion) an absolutely terrible martial arts film from 1974 that I saw.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

And Return of the Dragon isn't to be confused with Revolt of the Dragon (AKA the Brave Lion) an absolutely terrible martial arts film from 1974 that I saw.

I've seen that one, too! Aren't we the lucky ones? :lol:

• Haha 1
  1. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany
  2. We Won't Grow Old Together, Maurice Pialat, France
  3. The Merchant of Four Seasons, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany
  4. Roma, Federico Fellini, Italy
  5. Aguirre the Wrath of God, Werner Herzog, West Germany
  6. Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden
  7. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Luis Buñuel, France
  8. The Canterbury Tales, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Italy
  9. Un Flic, Jean-Pierre Melville, France
  10. César and Rosalie, Claude Sautet, France

• Like 4

Bogie, since over a year I've experienced the same problem. I learned some tricks to avoid the problem, but it's still annoying. Some tips:

*Bookmark page 1 of this thread. (I use Google chrome)

*Block the page while it's still loading, by clicking the cross X in the left top corner next to the address bar.

*Copy-paste the url to a new tab, but replace page 1 by the current page number, now 53.

*You can post an image by copy-pasting the image url. It automatically becomes visible. Don't use "insert other media".

• Thanks 1

1. Cries and Whispers  Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

2. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie  Luis Bunuel, France

3. Solaris  Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union

4. Aguirre: the Wrath of God  Werner Herzog, West Germany

5. Red Psalm  Miklos Jancso, Hungary

6. The Mattei Affair  Francesco Rosi, Italy

7. Blaise Pascal  Roberto Rossellini, France

8. Tout va Bien  Jean-Luc Godard, France

9. Chloe in the Afternoon  Eric Rohmer, France

• Like 3

The 1972 Academy Award Best Foreign Language Film included …

81gMRSuDz0L.jpg

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) Luis Bunuel, France ****

91Ew3+wbJyL._SY445_.jpg

The Dawns Here Are Quiet (1972) Stanislav Rostotskiy, Russia

i-love-you-rosa.jpg

I Love You Rosa (1972) Moshe Mizahi, Israel

MiQueridaSe%C3%B1orita.jpg

My Dearest Senorita (1972) Jaime de Arminan, Spain

220px-The_New_Land.jpg

The New Land (1972) Jan Troell, Sweden

Nominated for the 1973 Best Picture Oscar was …

Cries_and_Whispers-259331039-large.jpg

Cries and Whispers (1972) Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1