Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films

The 1972 German Film Awards Best Picture winners were …

MV5BMTk2NjI1MzAwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUx

Ludwig - Requiem For a Virgin King (1972) Hans-Jurgen Syberberg, Germany

220px-The_Merchant_of_Four_Seasons.jpg

The Merchant of Four Seasons (1972) Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany

• Thanks 2

Italy’s David di Donatello 1971/72 Best Picture winners included …

MV5BZDZhNjI4MDAtNGQ3YS00MWE0LTk0Y2QtZTM2

This Kind of Love (1972) Alberto Bevilacqua, Italy

Italy’s David di Donatello 1972/73 Best Picture winners included …

MV5BNzNjNzFiODAtMjEyZi00YjhjLTlkYzgtM2E4

Alfredo Alfredo (1972) Pietro Germi, Italy [this is in Italian with subtitles and dubbed in English]

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Italy’s David di Donatello 1972/73 Best Picture winners included …

MV5BNzNjNzFiODAtMjEyZi00YjhjLTlkYzgtM2E4

Alfredo Alfredo (1972) Pietro Germi, Italy [this is in Italian with subtitles and dubbed in English]

Do you mean it was originally released as a dubbed film in English? Did Dustin Hoffman do his own dubbing? 

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Do you mean it was originally released as a dubbed film in English? Did Dustin Hoffman do his own dubbing? 

Yes, there is an English dubbed version with Dustin Hoffman's voice.  If I am not mistaken it is now the harder one to find.  The Grand Duel is the same story.  An English dubbed version with Lee Van Cleef doing his own voice and another completely dubbed in Italian.  It is hard to decide which would be the most satisfying to watch.   Do you go with the real lead actor in English and watch rubbery voice dubbing for all of the other Italian actors or do you watch it with subtitles and most of the cast performing in their original Italian and live with the lead actor being dubbed in Italian?  Of course to the Italians the "real" Dustin Hoffman and the "real" Lee Van Cleef is probably the Italian language impersonator as that person would be the one voicing him in ALL of his films for that market.  They didn't watch subtitled films.  And to add more confusion sometimes the Italian language versions are not available with English subtitles for our market.  but I happen to know in the case of Alfredo, Alfredo there is an Italian language version with English subtitles.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Yes, there is an English dubbed version with Dustin Hoffman's voice.  If I am not mistaken it is now the harder one to find.  The Grand Duel is the same story.  An English dubbed version with Lee Van Cleef doing his own voice and another completely dubbed in Italian.  It is hard to decide which would be the most satisfying to watch.   Do you go with the real lead actor in English and watch rubbery voice dubbing for all of the other Italian actors or do you watch it with subtitles and most of the cast performing in their original Italian and live with the lead actor being dubbed in Italian?  Of course to the Italians the "real" Dustin Hoffman and the "real" Lee Van Cleef is probably the Italian language impersonator as that person would be the one voicing him in ALL of his films for that market.  They didn't watch subtitled films.  And to add more confusion sometimes the Italian language versions are not available with English subtitles for our market.  but I happen to know in the case of Alfredo, Alfredo there is an Italian language version with English subtitles.

One of the movies on my list, The Scopone Game aka The Scientific Cardplayer, is similar. I watched the Italian language version, with Alberto Sordi and Silvana Mangano in their own voices, and Bette Davis and Joseph Cotten dubbed in Italian, which was very odd.

• Like 1

manhunt-the-italian-connection-celi.jpg

I search out many of the films that everyone has been mentioning in this thread.  In the case of The Italian Connection I came across two versions: one dubbed in English with Henry Silva doing his own voice and the other in Italian with English subtitles.  I'm assuming in the latter version that Adolfo Celi dubbed his own Italian.  If so he has a much weaker voice than I imagined.  I was used to his masculine voice as Emilio Largo in Thunderball.  Robert Rietti revoiced Celi in Thunderball.  Here is Rietti's obituary ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/robert-rietti-actor-who-became-best-known-for-providing-voices-for-bond-villains-as-well-as-the-10196589.html

Below Rietti as the Monk in the Omen

52-Robert-Rietti.jpg?w968h681

• Like 4

flopped.jpg

A friend dragged me to a three in the morning screening of the original uncut The Good the Bad and the Ugly when it played at the first Toronto Film Festival, circa 1978.  It was said to be Sergio Leone's private print of the film and it was entirely in Italian with no subtitles.  Thankfully I was pretty familiar with the film as I don't speak Italian.  As you are most likely aware the deleted scenes were restored to the film a few years back but as they were never dubbed into English for our market as the film had already been recut they got the 80 year-old Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach back into the dubbing studio to redo their parts.  Burt Sharp revoiced the deceased Lee Van Cleef.  IMO Sharpe was a better match for the 1966 originals than the now squeaky and thin voiced Eastwood and Wallach.   Plus Van Cleef's deleted scenes were much more interesting and filled in his character's story.

• Like 3

This may be digressing a little but I recall seeing the premiere of Leone's A Fistful of Dollars (1964) on ABC in 1977.  The network addressed the character's amorality by commissioning a newly shot prologue where a prison warden played by Harry Dean Stanton commutes Eastwood's sentence if he goes to San Miguel and restores order.  Eastwood is played by a stand in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1971/72 winners of Mexico’s Ariel Best Picture Award included ….

337486-tu-yo-nosotros-0-230-0-345-crop.j

Tu, yo, Nosotros (1972) Juan Manuel Torres, Jorge Fons, Mexico

The 1972/73 winners of Mexico’s Ariel Best Picture Award included ….

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9DPoh2t24tcm96w8qkGh

National Mechanics (1972) Luis Alcoriza, Mexico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies for 1972

Aguirre:  the Wrath of God  Werner Herzog, West Germany #97

Cries and Whispers  Ingmar Bergman, Sweden #155

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie  Luis Bunuel, France #158

Solaris  Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union #228

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant  Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany #516

Fellini's Roma  Federico Fellini, Italy #675

Jonathan Rosenbaum's top 1000 movies 1972

Aguirre, the Wrath of God   Werner Herzog, West Germany
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie  Luis Bunuel, France
Fellini Roma  Federico Fellini, Italy
*Out 1: Spectre  Jacques Rivette, France
Solaris  Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union

An asterisk (*) means the movie is one of Rosenbaum's top 100.  Note that dates are not exact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

This may be digressing a little but I recall seeing the premiere of Leone's A Fistful of Dollars (1964) on ABC in 1977.  The network addressed the character's amorality by commissioning a newly shot prologue where a prison warden played by Harry Dean Stanton commutes Eastwood's sentence if he goes to San Miguel and restores order.  Eastwood is played by a stand in.

I imagine this one would have been better if they had actually got Eastwood to act in this scene. The fact this is clearly not Eastwood mixed with the random shots of Eastwood's face from later in the actual movie is awful. :lol: 

The winner of the 1972 New York Film Critics Best Picture Award …

c3e21ad01b5c8c6851249c7e606c4673.jpg

Cries and Whispers (1972) Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

Nominated for the 1973 New York Film Critics Best Picture Award …

MV5BMjI5NDIxNzIwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc2

State of Siege (1972) Constantin Costa-Gavras, France

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1540861872849.jpg

The Dawns Here Are Quiet - Fedot is an old fashioned military officer put in charge of a squadron of female soldiers. They constantly clash over how to fight and take prisoners but also over recreational things. Soon the entire squadron is called up to fight against invading German soldiers in the nearby forest. They learn to work together and fight with honor for their country. This film has very good cinematography with the flashbacks and daydreams the only parts done in color. This gives them a mystical effect that is very nice. The theme of teamwork and fighting together is very prominent in this one. Fedot thinks very little of woman soldiers but soon learns that they fight and give up just as much as men to win the war for their homeland. I like this film very much. A very good war film.

3c966102111bb3ca855e43223795a9af.jpg

• Like 4

1.) Viskningar och Rop/Cries and Whispers. Ingmar Bergman. Sweden. With Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Thulin, Harriet Anderson, Kari Sylwan.

cries1.jpg

1.) Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie/The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Luis Buñuel. France. With Fernando Rey, Stéphane Audran, Delphine Seyrig, Jean-Pierre Cassel.

91595274_780x439.jpg

3.Tú, Yo, Nosotros/You, Me, Us. Gonzalo Martínez Ortega, Juan Manuel Torres, and Jorge Fons. Mexico. With Rita Macedo, Carlos Ancira, Julissa, Sergio Jiménez.

tu+yo+nosotros.jpg

4.) Nybyggarna/The New Land. Jan Troell. Sweden. With Liv Ullmann, Max Von Sydow, Eddie Axberg.

robert.jpg?w=640

5.) El Castillo de la Pureza/The Castle of Purity. Arturo Ripstein. Mexico. With Claudio Brook, Rita Macedo, Diana Bracho, Arturo Beristáin.

El_castillo_de_la_pureza_1973_still_1_3_

6.) Muñeca Reina. Sergio Olhovich. Mexico. With Enrique Rocha, Ofelia Medina, Helena Rojo.

muneca-reina-e5fd8ab45da7345566c539feb65

• Like 4

hqdefault.jpg

Lacan Speaks - This is a documentary on the psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan. The first half covers a lecture he gave at a university in Belgium and the second part is an interview with the female director. In the documentary states his opinions on Analysis, transcendence, love, death, childhood, and development. An angry student interrupts him in an attempt to make a point but he cleverly turns it around. This documentary covers the bare points of his ideas so it is a very easy film to watch. You don't need to have prior knowledge of Lacan or his ideas like the Big other to understand this documentary. Also included are historical facts about the life of Lacan. I recommend this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7181299.3.jpg

Man of the East - funny comedic western about a fish out of water starring Terence Hill. Terence Hill plays an upper class Englishman who has moved out west and is now trying to survive among the cowboys and bandits. He befriends some bandits who were pals of his father. He also romances a woman who is wanted by another violent man in the town who wants him dead. The movie follows his attempts to learn to become a man and defeat this man and get the girl. Some of the humor in this was pretty funny, including two bounty hunters who keep getting beaten and progressively more covered in bandages by the bandits. Overall, I give it a 6/10.

• Like 2

The 1972 National Society of Film Critics Best Pictures included …

f6c5c9c604d1e9d0d6125bd5f3126090.jpg

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) Luis Bunuel, France ****

CRIES+AND+WHISPERS+-+Japanese+Poster.jpe

Cries and Whispers (1972) Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

State-of-Siege-1972-2.jpg

State of Siege (1972) is another good politico by Constantin Costa-Gavras.  It is based on a true story.  Yves Montand plays a CIA agent operating in Uruguay helping to train their police in fighting the guerrilla forces, torture and interrogation.  The tables are turned when he is abducted.  The picture above with a room plastered with newsprint may have been the inspiration for this scene in Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men (2006)...

com.preview1.jpg

• Like 3

The winner of the 1972 Prix Jean Vigo was …

MV5BN2Y0OWNlZTktMWUwOS00NGQ2LThjNzItNzA0

Continental Circus (1972) Jerome Lapperousaz, France

The winner of the 1973 Prix Jean Vigo was …

61GtjfAD8eL._SY450_.jpg

Repeated Absences (1972) Guy Gilles, France

• Thanks 2