Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can we stop the Re-Make of The Day the Earth Stood Still.....??

Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 13

Comments

Mad Men star Jon Hamm has just come aboard the remake of the sci fi classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. According to The Hollywood Reporter, both Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly have already signed on to star in the film.

Scott Derrickson is directing this updated version of the 1951 masterpiece. Hamm will play NASA official Dr. Granier, in charge of an alien investigation on earth.

The film began shooting on December 12th in Vancouver. Hamm reported to work on Tuesday.

As long as people are willing to pay good money to see "revised" or "updated" versions of classic films, there will always be those who are willing to do so.

The only way to stop remakes is for people to stop patronizing them. What do you think the odds are of that happening?

I'm not fond of remakes. Plot and characterization are frequently sacrificed to make room for the real star of the show: the special effects. But there's really nothing anyone can do to stop filmmakers from revisiting old territory. You can, however, fail to support it at the box office. Dollars do speak louder than words in Hollywood.

Di

Ricardo Cortez was the shizznit in The Maltese Falcon. They should never have remade it with Humphrey Bogart. ;-)

Howard Hawks should never have remade The Front Page, either. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell couldn't hold a candle to Pat O'Brien and Adolphe Menjou.

And how dare Comden and Green recycle a bunch of old 20s and 30s songs for Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds!

So why should we want to stop it? I certainly wouldn't go see it, but if they want to spend a couple of hundred million on it so what. It keeps lots of people working. Perhaps, it might stir up interest in the original. I know that the remake of WAR OF THE WORLDS did.

I agree--if someone wants to put the time and money into a remake, it's no skin off my nose. It may spark interest in the original, which is great.

Besides, I really like some remakes--THE MALTESE FALCON, THE OPPOSITE SEX, IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME, IMITATION OF LIFE...

Sandy K

my only problem with remakes is the special effects - the explosions and gore they want to show today takes away from what the originals had going for them - a lot of things are left to your own imagination

Earth stood still is one of my favorite alien movies, war of the worlds original was far and away better than tom cruise - special effects ruined the film.

Ignore the remake

I like Keanu Reeves well enough but it will take a lot of doing to erase that most memorable performance by the late Michael Rennie. His performance made that film for me and his quiet, forceful manner only drove the point deeper that violence and war are not the way to progress in the universe. Go ahead and make it. They will fall way short of my expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, one cannot stop the wheels of the Hollywood Machine. I'm betting that there will be more special effects than good solid acting or story line in the new version. Keanu Reeves acting style fit the Matrix Trilogy, however what I have seen of him in the spectrum of his career, imho, he is a one note actor. Always the same. zzzzzz. The old version had no reliance on flashy explosions or bloody gore, gimmicks and gadgets but told a fantastic story by the actors. I am left wondering when I heard of this remake, where the creativity and talent for writing new great stories is, instead of re-making the already told stories for the current generation who rely on flash and dazzle and blowing things up. One more re-make. sigh

Still keeping an open mind tho-it just might be done well....

Bloody Disgusting has stumbled upon an exclusive bit of casting news tonight. It seems that Kathy Bates will be joining Keanu Reeves at the helm of his spaceship in the upcoming remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Will Smith's son Jaden Smith has also become attached to the project. The film is being directed by Scott Derrickson. The story will follow the adventures of an alien that arrives on earth to warn us that we are in danger of being destroyed by another planet.

The film is currently shooting in Vancouver, Canada.

The news leaked last week that Jaden Smith had joined the cast of Warner Brothers' upcoming remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Now, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed the news.

Smith will be playing Jacob, the rebellious 8-year-old son of scientist Helen Benson (Jennifer Connelly). She is the one that makes first contact with the alien Klaatu (Keanu Reeves).

Scott Derrickson is directing the film. It is currently filming in Vancouver for a December 12th, 2008 release date.