Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Somebody Up There Likes Me

How the heck did they pick Paul Newman to play Rocky Graziano in this film? As a pugilism fan, this would be like picking Tony Curtis to play Jersey Joe Walcott or Stuart Whitman to play Joe Louis. Wonder if the Rock had some influence on picking Newman. Rocky was great thought as Martha Raye's man in her tv show. Did they ever make a movie about the other Rocky, Marciano and his life since he was the heavyweight champ.

Rip, there was a 1999 TV movie simply titled Rocky Marciano starring Jon Favreau in the eponymous role, but the reviews of it generally said it was no Raging Bull, and it got only fair-to-poor critical ratings.

And as far as I know, no other biopic of him has ever been done.

(...however, there is word presently that another movie is/might be in the works)

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Rip, there was a 1999 TV movie simply titled Rocky Marciano starring Jon Favreau in the eponymous role, but the reviews of it generally said it was no Raging Bull, and it got only fair-to-poor critical ratings.

(...however, there is word presently that another movie is/might be in the works)

You have been misled, Dargo since that upcoming film is about Rocky from the Bullwinkle show. Jay Ward says "Hi!" by the way from the other side.

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

You have been misled, Dargo since that upcoming film is about Rocky from the Bullwinkle show. Jay Ward says "Hi!" by the way from the other side.

Yeah, CG?

Well then, now that June Foray is gone, who's gonna do the voice of THIS Rocky?

(...I mean sure, ANYBODY can do a falsetto voice and all, but JUNE just had that extra little something when SHE did it, ya know!)

• Like 1

Ah, geez, I love June Foray but she sure messed up that voice of the kid, Mary Badham [who played Scout in Tequila Mockingbird] when she was in the "Twilight Zone" episode, "The Bewitching Pool", doncha think? Remember how the kids had horrid parents and they would dive in the pool and visit that granny chick who would give them lemonade and cake? Half the episode has the kid's real voice with intact Southern accent thick as molasses and half has June's voice. Very strange and Rod Serling should have taken control and fixed this travesty!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CaveGirl said:

Ah, geez, I love June Foray but she sure messed up that voice of the kid [who played Scout in Tequila Mockingbird] when she was in the "Twilight Zone" episode, doncha think? Remember how the kids had horrid parents and they would dive in the pool and visit that granny chick who would give them lemonade and cake? Half the episode has the kid's real voice with intact Southern accent thick as molasses and half has June's voice. Very strange and Rod Serling should have taken control and fixed this travesty!

Yes, I DO remember that, and yeah, June's dubbing of little Mary Badham's voice track in that TZ episode is to this day a decision by the either the director or Sterling which seems very strange, and pretty much makes that episode a bear to watch.

(...has anybody ever figured out why that was done?...it's not as if the little tyke had an unpleasant voice or anything, right?!...she sounded just fine in "Tequila Mockingbird" anyway, right?!)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, CG?

Well then, now that June Foray is gone, who's gonna do the voice of THIS Rocky?

(...I mean sure, ANYBODY can do a falsetto voice and all, but JUNE just had that extra little something when SHE did it, ya know!)

I long had this "gag" fantasy-----

Bullwinkle, doing his magic act, says, "Hey, ROCKY.  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"  and we hear Stallone's unmistakable voice reply, "Yo Bullwinkle, not again, eh?" ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I long had this "gag" fantasy-----

Bullwinkle, doing his magic act, says, "Hey, ROCKY.  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"  and we hear Stallone's unmistakable voice reply, "Yo Bullwinkle, not again, eh?" ;) 

Sepiatone

I dunno, Sepia. Somehow I think the citizens of Frostbite Falls would just kick Stallone right out of their town. He'd stick out like a sour thumb. But I'd let his voice remain for Rocky for sure.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I dunno, Sepia. Somehow I think the citizens of Frostbite Falls would just kick Stallone right out of their town. He'd stick out like a sour thumb. But I'd let his voice remain for Rocky for sure.

Wossamotta you, anyway?! You think Frostbite Falls is full of people who don't like Sly or somethin', CG?

Well, I'll have you know that I once visited the place, and the people there are SO fond of the guy that they even erected a statue of him on the steps of the Frostbite Falls Museum of Art TOO!

(...btw...I visited the place in July...it's cold a hell there during the winter months, ya know...MUCH too cold for this old SoCal and now Arizona boy that time of year)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Well, I DID say "gag" and "fantasy" didn't I?  I wouldn't HOPE you'd have to "google" those. ;)

And perhaps if the thumb WAS sour, he wouldn't have sucked on it until it GOT sore! :D

Sepiatone

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Somebody up there must not like this movie since only the OP is about it.   :lol:

I watched part of it last night and Newman's acting reminds me of doing an impression.   It doesn't come off as convincing.

I usually love Paul Newman in everything and anything.....but this definitely wasn't one of his classics. Seeing him attempt a Brooklyn accent was painful to say the least.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The real Graziano used to be somewhat a regular on Merv Griffin's '60's talk show.  I saw him on there several times, but never heard his opinion of the movie.  As for not being one of Newman's "classics", I'll agree.  But IMHO it still more than made up for THE SILVER CHALICE, in both his acting and as a movie.

Sepiatone

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, Dargo said:

saw it & mediocre (**) typical tv movie

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The real Graziano used to be somewhat a regular on Merv Griffin's '60's talk show.  I saw him on there several times, but never heard his opinion of the movie.  As for not being one of Newman's "classics", I'll agree.  But IMHO it still more than made up for THE SILVER CHALICE, in both his acting and as a movie.

Sepiatone

He had a very brief movie review show in the 1980's

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, RipMurdock said:

How the heck did they pick Paul Newman to play Rocky Graziano in this film? As a pugilism fan, this would be like picking Tony Curtis to play Jersey Joe Walcott or Stuart Whitman to play Joe Louis. Wonder if the Rock had some influence on picking Newman. Rocky was great thought as Martha Raye's man in her tv show. Did they ever make a movie about the other Rocky, Marciano and his life since he was the heavyweight champ.

James Dean was all set for this bio when he was killed,  it's a fairly known true story. He kinda' inherited the role & most likely already know, but look for Steve McQueen in the beginning. It won *Oscars for B & W Cinematography & B& W Art-Direction

3 hours ago, spence said:

THANX FOR THE CLIP!   Pier Angeli killed herself in 1971. Rocky G. wasn't a great fighter, but a good one, not like MARCIANO though

Different weight class, Spence.  And I'd say a 67-10 record (with 52 KOs)  was pretty great in those days.

And that's Graziano's 77 fights as opposed to Marciano's 49.

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Different weight class, Spence.  And I'd say a 67-10 record (with 52 KOs)  was pretty great in those days.

And that's Graziano's 77 fights as opposed to Marciano's 49.

Sepiatone

thanks for replying, I know he had more bouts, but overall I personally rate "The Rock" as in MARCIANO greater. ever see the computer match between Ali & Marciano?