Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Library of Congress adds 25 more films

Guest dredagain

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/27/classic.films.ap/index.html

As usual the films added to the collection tend toward the newer (BACK TO THE FUTURE, DANCES WITH WOLVES) but there are a few silents.

THE STRONG MAN (1926) is one of Harry Langdon's best features. TOL'ABLE DAVID (1921) is a superb melodrama directed by King Vidor and starring Richard Barthelmess in one of his all-time great performances. MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE (1926) is a funny Charley Chase short.

I think all it means is that the films are on the "national registry" so I assume that means they are safe from disappearance or that (possibly) they are being restored.....

The National Film Registry is the registry of films selected by the United States National Film Preservation Board for preservation in the Library of Congress. The board, established by the National Film Preservation Act of 1988, was reauthorized in 1992, 1996, and 2005 by acts of Congress. The 1996 law also created the non-profit National Film Preservation Foundation, which is affiliated with the National Film Preservation Board but which raises money from the private sector.

The National Film Registry is meant to preserve up to twenty-five "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant films" each year; to be eligible, films must be at least ten years old. The films do not have to be feature-length or to have had a theatrical release. The Registry is meant to showcase the full range and diversity of American film heritage, and includes films ranging from Hollywood classics to newsreels, silent films, experimental films, films out of copyright protection, significant amateur footage, documentary films, and independent films. As of 2007, there are 475 films preserved in the National Film Registry. The 2007 list was announced on December 27, 2007.

The most recent film is Fargo (1996), while the oldest film is Blacksmith Scene (1893). The most represented year in the list is 1939, which has 17 entries (including films created in various years).

dsclassic -

In each year since 1989, 25 films of U.S. origin have been selected for preservation, restoration and storage at the Library of Congress. This is done in conjunction with the congressionally mandated/created National Film Preservation Foundation.

The "titles" selected are all deemed to be signifcant examples of America's film history - whether films from Hollywood, early documentaries, experimental short films or even significant "home movies". It doesn't have any effect on the availablitiy or ownership of these films. It just means that the Library of Congress will acquire and store a pristine copy of the film in its archives as a reference for future generations.

Once in a while you will see a film presented on TCM with a "leader" detailing and acknowledging the involvement of the National Film Registry in the restoration of that particular film. I believe Mr Smith Goes To Washington and the Grant/Hepburn Holiday include such "leaders".

For more information go here -

http://www.loc.gov/film/filmnfr.html

(Though this page hasn't been updated to include the recently announced 2007 designees.)

or here -

http://www.filmpreservation.org/

Kyle In Hollywood

Why Close Encounters or Back to the Future ?>>

Because even modern films are endangered due to fading film stock and other problems. The National Registry tries to help preserve films from all the eras so that future generations will be able to enjoy them.

Library of Congress, like Eastman House or UCLA or AMPAS and others, allows for on-site showings (the films generally do not circulate like other library materials) of films in its collection but doesn't do much to get the films on DVD. So they usually end up safe and snug in a vault. Of course some of the films on the list are (or have been) widely distributed on DVD and shown on TV ad nauseum. The goal of the National Film Registry is to preserve/restore, not to market or work with companies like Killiam or Milestone to make these films available to the general public

Why Close Encounters or Back to the Future ?

According to a source in the Hollywood Reporter article linked below, they wanted to include more science fiction. I personally don't see how there is any significant risk of those two titles being allowed to deteriorate. I was happy to see 1939's Wuthering Heights on the list because the print I saw at the Museum of Modern Art was atrocious and direly needs restoration.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ide91e2bbd6c24afff622513d64dbf694

Here is the list:

"Back to the Future" (1985)

"Bullitt" (1968)

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977)

"Dance, Girl, Dance" (1940)

"Dances With Wolves" (1990)

"Days of Heaven" (1978)

"Glimpse of the Garden" (1957)

"Grand Hotel" (1932)

"The House I Live In" (1945)

"In a Lonely Place" (1950)

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)

"Mighty Like a Moose" (1926)

"The Naked City" (1948)

"Now, Voyager" (1942)

"Oklahoma!" (1955)

"Our Day" (1938)

"Peege" (1972)

"The Sex Life of the Polyp" (1928)

"The Strong Man" (1926)

"Three Little Pigs" (1933)

"Tol'able David" (1921)

"Tom, Tom the Piper's Son" (1969-71)

"12 Angry Men" (1957)

"The Women" (1939)

"Wuthering Heights" (1939)

I agree, MissGoddess... I don't see DANCES WITH WOLVES disappearing either but DAYS OF HEAVEN is a good choice. The last print I saw of this TOTALLY GORGEOUS 1978 film was all washed out.

Certainly WUTHERING HEIGHTS and GRAND HOTEL and THE WOMEN are at least major films. And OKLAHOMA should have its Technicolor preserved.

Of course it's my personal preference but I think there are SO MANY silent films that deserve this "honor" rather than BACK TO THE FUTURE but I know that a personal choice. Even if LOC poked along with 25 SILENT films every year, they still would take forever to preserve/restore what relatively few silent films remain.

Who makes the choices for the national registry? LOC staff? One person?

The link will take you to Dave Kehr's website and the article he wrote where he talks about the problems with modern day color film stock and the unstability of digital technology as well as mentions that there is a large advisory board that recommends and choices the films for preservation each year.

http://davekehr.com/?p=274

Also here is an article by Michael Cieply that talks about the problems of modern films and the pitfalls of digital preservation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/business/media/23steal.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

From the NY Times article: "In other words, we could be watching Wallace Beery long after more contemporary images are gone. "

I'm not particularly a Wallace Beery fan but I'd rather watch him than 90% of contemporary images. :P

I just cannot see huge blockbusters like *Close Encounters* and *Back to the Future* having to worry so very much like the silents and other older films that generate much less public interest than these films constantly shown in countless different outlets.

I'll echo the "another disappointing list". It's probably my expectations after reading the quotes about trying to preserve national film heritage and the loss of so many old films. And then they're wasting some of those incredibly few 25 slots on so many modern films. The number of pre-1930 entries certainly seems exactly opposite from the quotes that lament the loss of so many old films.

I can certainly understand why the Federal Gov't can only afford to recognize 25 films a year. Heavens - let's not blow the budget on American art, not when we can channel kajillions of taxpayer dollars into hidden programs for Charlie Wilson War type projects.

475 whole films in the LOC registry, and TCM does about that many every month. No wonder I love this channel. It seems to do more with far less.

Yes we have BILLIONS of dollars to waste of all kinds of political and military crap but apparently we have only a couple thousand to waste on cinematic art. But "art" is a subjective thing, and I realize this. Yet it seems to be such a paltry effort to preserve our historical cinema.

For those of us who collect silent and classic films, we have witnessed first-hand the deterioration of even the small percent of old films that exist. And even high-profile and superb restorations of films like BEYOND THE ROCKS (1922) show the marks of neglect and deterioration. Just think how many films have had nothing done and exist only because of old prints that surfaced on TV or early VHS.

For every WINGS or JAZZ SINGER that get restored, there are a hundred other films waiting to be rescued. To think that we've already lost so much of the art of Pickford, Valentino, Fairbanks, Swanson, Gish, Gilbert, Davies, Novarro, the Talmadges, and many others is simply heartbreaking.

I probably shouldn't have bought Ollie that 18th cup of espresso this afternoon. This topic obviously didn't need caffeine to stoke Ollie up! ha ha... sorry!

I heard that in the '60s or early '70s, the Brit Film Institute destroyed thousands of tapes because their director (and the destroying personnel) decided shelf space and re-using the video tapes was more important than preserving art.

Peter Cook even tried to buy the tapes containing many many of his Peter Cook-Dudley Moore BEYOND THE FRINGE episodes, but because the BBC Bureaucracy had never considered such a possibility, they refused to let him buy the tapes OR buy new replacement tapes. The BBC decided to destroy that show's tapes instead.

I forget the director's name at that time who ultimately bore the brunt of wanton destruction's responsibility, but she received a good amount of castigation over this.

You'd mentioned Novarro and he's a slient screen star that I've only recently learned about, and I understand restoration efforts are underway on some of his films (THE RAT series?) but there are so few copies available and, as you said, so many thousands have been lost.

Consider a film like DOC HOLLYWOOD (1991, Michael J. Fox). It's only available in Full Screen Pan & Puke format. Yet it wasn't filmed in such squeamish format - but that's the only thing available. Decision-makers are responsible for destroying or maiming even recent art with few repercussions. I'm so glad the Mona Lisa isn't given to Hollywood for preservation.

OH you mean Ivor Novello, the British superstar who starred in THE RAT with Mae Marsh and in THE RETURN OF THE RAT with Isabel Jeans. Novello also starred with Marsh in D.W. Griffith's THE WHITE ROSE and in Hitchcock's THE LODGER.

Ramon Novarro (whom I mentioned) was the star of BEN-HUR, PRISONER OF ZENDA, etc.

Hello all. Hope you all had a nice holiday. Just got back today and read with interest this fine thread. I have some comments as well.

I can understand most your frustrations with the current selections by the National Film Registry. Twenty five films could be 50 or 100 films. But from my perspective at least they are picking some films each year to preserve in their vaults for future generations to see. As far as selecting more recent films over older or more classic films, one only has to look at the films that they have added since they started. Over 300 are from before 1960. Only 150 are from after 1960. That is not a bad ratio of films that have been selected.

The way I see it, the National Film Registry has a duty to perform. Its not an easy duty nor one that I feel I could do more effectively. These folks have to pick films they feel can stand the test of time, are ?culturally, historically or aesthetically significant films?. According to the actual text of the public law the film board is instructed to:

?Directs the Librarian of Congress, in consultation with the National Film Registry Board, to: (1) carry out activities to make films included in the National Film Registry more broadly accessible for research and educational purposes and to generate public awareness and support of the Registry and the comprehensive national film preservation program; (2) review the comprehensive national film preservation plan, and amend it to ensure that it addresses technological advances in preserving, storing, and accessing film collections in multiple formats; and (3) whenever possible, undertake expanded initiatives to ensure the preservation of the moving image heritage of the United States by supporting the work of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center of the Library of Congress at Culpeper Virginia, and other appropriate nonprofit archival and preservation organizations.?

Now I may not always agree with their selections, but they do have quite a few already selected from the silent era, and the 1930's. If they feel that picking a film from 1985 or 1977 justifies two of their selections, I can't really argue with them. Eight out of twenty five selected this year are from after 1960. Thats 32% of this years total.

I agree that many more films should be selected from the older films that still have not been picked. But with so many left to select, and with only 25 that can be selected, it is a daunting task. Close to 90 silent films have yet to be added to the registry according to their website. I do not know but I am sure there are hundreds more that probably could be added.

The bottom line about all of this is this:

At least some organization is selecting films that will be preserved for future generations to see. I feel fortunate that I live in a country that at least has organizations like this one and the AFI and all of the other organizations that have sprouted up to help preserve these films. Lets hope that the law can be amended in the future so that Congress can allow more funds to be acquired and spent on these fine films. And the only way they will do that will be for each one of you film fans out there to write their congressmen/woman to appropriate additional funds for this worthwhile exercise. Thats how it is supposed to work, anyhow.

Yes but the maddening thing is that these organizations preserve and restore these films that are then never seen.

I was lucky enough to be able to afford a private screening of 5 Gloria Swanson films at the Eastman House in Rochester, but it cost me a thousand dollars to do it, between driving there from Maine (where I was on vacation), hotel in Rochester, and renting the films at Eastman House. I feel very privileged to have seen these great films, and they were spectacular (and I'm not exaggerating at all---Swanson was SUPERB), but not everyone can do this.

The whole point to preserving and restoring films is so people can see them.

So WHY hasn't TCM made deals with Eastman House to SHOW these great films? TCM certainly has the financial resources do do this.

Every classic movie fan deserves the right to see Gloria Swanson in THE TRESPASSER, STAGE STRUCK, FINE MANNERS, ZAZA, and FOR BETTER, FOR WORSE. Each of these films was a total joy. No one can fathom the immense talent of Swanson without seeing these few remaining films from her early days of cinema. These are important and vital films for those who wish to study and enjoy early American films.

Fans of classic films shouldn't have to schlep to Rochester or Los Angeles or Washington to see these films in private.

And yet I know my only hope of ever seeing John Gilbert's infamous HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT is to go to UCLA and rent it...... it's not fair.

This is a very interesting thread in all honesty, I dont know all the movies the Library of Congress has but I think every movie fan should see these films in the interest of them not only being excellent movies, but to give all fans the chance to see various genres...maybe some of these are in the LOC already .. I have no clue, but these are ones Id vote for

Psycho -- the granddaddy of the slasher era, done perfectly by the man Alfred Hitchcock

North by Northwest - another great flick from Hitch and Cary Grant is GREAT !

Halloween - a good slasher before the sequels and other crap that followed

Dressed to Kill - Both the Sherlock Holmes and the Brian DePalma movies

Phantom of the Opera - Silent

The Lost World - Silent

Double Indemnity

The Time Machine - Rod Taylor

War of the Worlds - original

King Kong 1933 ONLY

Godzilla 1954 Japanese only (stop frowning !! :) )

Out of the Past

The Narrow Margin - a new favorite in Noir

Notorious

The Maltese Falcon - Bogie at his Bogiest :)

The Kennel Murder Case ( a personal favorite of mine, and really shouldn't be frowned upon if you like William Powell or mystery movies, this is a gem IMHO)

Who Done It (Abbott & Costello early comedy & another favorite)

I could go on and on, this is a really a good topic....

Message was edited by: dsclassic

"maybe some of these are in the LOC already .. I have no clue..."

Here's the list (through 2006) of all films on the Library Of Congress National Film Registry -

http://www.loc.gov/film/titles.html

1) ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)

2) ADAM'S RIB (1949)

3) THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)

4) THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951)

5) ALIEN (1979)

6) ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)

7) ALL MY BABIES (1953)

8) ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930)

9) ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955)

10) ALL THAT JAZZ (1979)

11) ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949)

12) AMERICA, AMERICA (1963)

13) AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973)

14) AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951)

15) ANNIE HALL (1977)

16) ANTONIA: A PORTRAIT OF THE WOMAN (1974)

17) THE APARTMENT (1960)

18) APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)

19) APPLAUSE (1929)

20) ATLANTIC CITY (1980)

21) THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937)

22) BABY FACE (1933)

23) THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (1952)

24) BADLANDS (1973)

25) THE BAND WAGON (1953)

26) THE BANK DICK (1940)

27) THE BATTLE OF SAN PIETRO (1945)

28) BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991)

29) BEN-HUR (1926)

30) BEN-HUR (1959)

31) THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946)

32) BIG BUSINESS (1929)

33) THE BIG PARADE (1925)

34) THE BIG SLEEP (1946)

35) THE BIG TRAIL (1930)

36) THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915)

37) THE BLACK PIRATE (1926)

38) THE BLACK STALLION (1979)

39) BLACKSMITH SCENE (1893)

40) BLADE RUNNER (1982)

41) BLAZING SADDLES (1974)

42) THE BLOOD OF JESUS (1941)

43) THE BLUE BIRD (1918)

44) BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967)

45) BOYZ N THE HOOD (1991)

46) BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)

47) THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

48) BRINGING UP BABY (1938)

49) BROKEN BLOSSOMS (1919)

50) A BRONX MORNING (1931)

51) THE BUFFALO CREEK FLOOD: AN ACT OF MAN (1975)

52) BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)

53) CABARET (1972)

54) THE CAMERAMAN (1928) 55) CARMEN JONES (1954)

56) CASABLANCA (1942)

57) THEODORE CASE SOUND TEST: GUS VISSER AND HIS SINGING DUCK (1925)

58) CASTRO STREET (1966)

59) CAT PEOPLE (1942)

60) CHAN IS MISSING (1982)

61) THE CHEAT (1915)

62) THE CHECHAHCOS (1924)

63) CHINATOWN (1974)

64) CHULAS FRONTERAS (1976)

65) CITIZEN KANE (1941)

66) CITY, THE (1939)

67) CITY LIGHTS (1931)

68) CIVILIZATION (1916)

69) CLASH OF THE WOLVES (1925)

70) COLOGNE: FROM THE DIARY OF RAY AND ESTHER (1939)

71) COMMANDMENT KEEPER CHURCH, BEAUFORT, SOUTH CAROLINA, MAY 1940 (1940)

72) THE CONVERSATION (1974)

73) COOL HAND LUKE (1967)

74) COPS (1922)

75) A CORNER IN WHEAT (1909)

76) THE COOL WORLD (1963)

77) THE COURT JESTER (1956)

78) THE CROWD (1928)

79) THE CURSE OF QUON GWON (1916-17)

80) CZECHOSLOVAKIA 1968 (1968)

81) D.O.A. (1950)

82) DAUGHTER OF SHANGHAI (1937)

83) DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST (1991)

84) DAVID HOLZMAN'S DIARY (1968)

85) THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

86) DEAD BIRDS (1964)

87) THE DEER HUNTER (1978)

88) DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939)

89) DETOUR (1946)

90) DICKSON EXPERIMENTAL SOUND FILM (1894-5)

91) DO THE RIGHT THING (1989)

92) THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (1928)

93) DODSWORTH (1936)

94) DOG STAR MAN (1964)

95) DON'T LOOK BACK (1967)

96) DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)

97) DR. STRANGELOVE (or, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB) (1964)

98) DRACULA (1931)

99) DRUMS OF WINTER (1988)

100) DUCK AMUCK (1953)

101) DUCK AND COVER (1951)

102) DUCK SOUP (1933)

103) E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL (1982)

104) EARLY ABSTRACTIONS #1-5,7,10 (1939-56)

105) EASY RIDER (1969)

106) EAUX D'ARTIFICE (1953)

107) EL NORTE (1983)

108) THE EMPEROR JONES (1933)

109) EMPIRE (1964)

110) THE ENDLESS SUMMER (1966)

111) ENTER THE DRAGON (1973)

112) ERASERHEAD (1978)

113) EVIDENCE OF THE FILM (1913)

114) THE EXPLOITS OF ELAINE (1914)

115) FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1928)

116) FANTASIA (1940)

117) FARGO (1996)

118) FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (1982)

119) FATTY'S TINTYPE TANGLE (1915)

120) FILM PORTRAIT (1970)

121) FIVE EASY PIECES (1970)

122) FLASH GORDON serial (1936)

123) FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1927)

124) FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933)

125) FORCE OF EVIL (1948)

126) THE FORGOTTEN FRONTIER (1931)

127) 42ND STREET (1933)

128) THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921)

129) FOX MOVIETONE NEWS: JENKINS ORPHANAGE BAND (1928)

130) FRANK FILM (1973)

131) FRANKENSTEIN (1931)

132) FREAKS (1932)

133) THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971)

134) THE FRESHMAN (1925)

135) FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953)

136) FROM STUMP TO SHIP (1930)

137) FROM THE MANGER TO THE CROSS (1912)

138) FUJI (1974)

139) FURY (1936)

140) GARLIC IS AS GOOD AS TEN MOTHERS (1980)

141) THE GENERAL (1927)

142) GERALD MCBOING BOING (1951)

143) GERTIE THE DINOSAUR (1914)

144) GIANT (1956) 145) GIGI (1958)

146) THE GODFATHER (1972)

147) THE GODFATHER, PART II (1974)

148) GOING MY WAY (1944)

149) GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933)

150) THE GOLD RUSH (1925)

151) GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

152) GOODFELLAS (1990)

153) THE GRADUATE (1967)

154) THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940)

155) GRASS (1925)

156) THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940)

157) THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1903)

158) GREED (1924)

159) GROUNDHOG DAY (1993)

160) GUN CRAZY (1949)

161) GUNGA DIN (1939)

162) H2O (1929)

163) HALLOWEEN (1978)

164) HANDS UP (1926)

165) HARLAN COUNTY, U.S.A. (1976)

166) HAROLD AND MAUDE (1972)

167) THE HEIRESS (1949)

168) HELL'S HINGES (1916)

169) HINDENBURG DISASTER NEWSREEL FOOTAGE (1937)

170) HIGH SCHOOL (1968)

171) HIGH NOON (1952)

172) HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)

173) HITCH-HIKER, THE (1953)

174) HOOP DREAMS (1994)

175) HOOSIERS (1986)

176) HOSPITAL (1970)

177) THE HOSPITAL (1971)

178) THE HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE (1954)

179) HOUSE OF USHER (1960)

180) HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (1941)

181) HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962)

182) THE HUNTERS [KALAHARI DESERT TRIBE ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM] (1957)

183) THE HUSTLER (1961)

184) I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG (1932)

185) IMITATION OF LIFE (1934)

186) IMMIGRANT, THE (1917)

187) IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (1967)

188) IN THE LAND OF THE HEAD HUNTERS (1914), aka IN THE LAND OF THE WAR CANOES

189) IN THE STREET (1948/52)

190) INTOLERANCE (1916)

191) INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

192) IT (1927)

193) IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

194) IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)

195) THE ITALIAN (1915)

196) JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957)

197) JAM SESSION (1942)

198) JAMMIN' THE BLUES (1944)

199) JAWS (1975)

200) JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY (1959)

201) THE JAZZ SINGER (1927)

202) JEFFRIES-JOHNSON WORLD'S CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING CONTEST (1910)

203) KANNAPOLIS, NC (1941)

204) KILLER OF SHEEP (1977)

205) KING: A FILMED RECORD...MONTGOMERY TO MEMPHIS (1970)

206) KING KONG (1933)

207) THE KISS (1896)

208) KISS ME DEADLY (1955)

209) KNUTE ROCKNE, ALL AMERICAN(1940)

210) KOYAANISQATSI (1983)

211) THE LADY EVE (1941)

212) LADY HELEN'S ESCAPADE (1909)

213) LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN (1925)

214) LAMBCHOPS (1929)

215) LAND BEYOND THE SUNSET (1912)

216) LASSIE COME HOME (1943)

217) THE LAST COMMAND (1928)

218) THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1920)

219) LAST PICTURE SHOW, THE (1972)

220) LAURA (1944)

221) LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)

222) THE LEARNING TREE (1969)

223) LET'S ALL GO TO THE LOBBY (1957)

224) LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948)

225) THE LIFE AND DEATH OF 9413--A HOLLYWOOD EXTRA (1927)

226) THE LIFE AND TIMES OF ROSIE THE RIVETER (1980)

227) LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, THE (1937)

228) LITTLE CAESAR (1930)

229) THE LITTLE FUGITIVE (1953)

230) LITTLE MISS MARKER (1934)

231) LIVING DESERT, THE (1953)

232) LOST WORLD, THE (1925)

233) LOUISIANA STORY (1948)

234) LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY (1938)

235) LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932)

236) M*A*S*H (1970)

237) MAGICAL MAESTRO (1952)

238) THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942)

239) MAKING OF AN AMERICAN (1920)

240) THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)

241) THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)

242) MANHATTA (1921)

243) MANHATTAN (1979)

244) MARCH OF TIME: INSIDE NAZI GERMANY--1938 (1938)

245) MARIAN ANDERSON: THE LINCOLN MEMORIAL CONCERT (1939)

246) MARTY (1955)

247) MASTER HANDS (1936)

248) MATRIMONY'S SPEED LIMIT (1913)

249) MEAN STREETS (1973)

250) MEDIUM COOL (1969)

251) MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)

252) MELODY RANCH (1940)

253) MEMPHIS BELLE (1944)

254) MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON (1943)

255) MIDNIGHT COWBOY (1969)

256) MILDRED PIERCE (1945)

257) THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK (1944)

258) MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947)

259) MISS LULU BETT (1922)

260) MODERN TIMES (1936)

261) MODESTA (1956)

262) MOM AND DAD (1944) 263) MOROCCO (1930)

264) MOTION PAINTING NO. 1 (1947)

265) A MOVIE (1958)

266) MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (1939)

267) MULTIPLE SIDOSIS (1970)

268) THE MUSIC BOX (1932)

269) THE MUSIC MAN (1962)

270) MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)

271) MY MAN GODFREY (1936)

272) THE NAKED SPUR (1953)

273) NANOOK OF THE NORTH (1922)

274) NASHVILLE (1975)

275) NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (1978)

276) NATIONAL VELVET (1944)

277) NAUGHTY MARIETTA (1935)

278) NETWORK (1976)

279) A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)

280) THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955)

281) NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)

282) NINOTCHKA (1939)

283) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

284) NOSTALGIA (1971)

285) NOTHING BUT A MAN (1964)

286) NOTORIOUS (1946)

287) THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (1963)

288) OFFON (1968)

289) ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)

290) ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975)

291) ONE FROGGY EVENING (1956)

292) OUT OF THE PAST (1947)

293) OX-BOW INCIDENT, THE (1943)

294) THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (1976)

295) PASS THE GRAVY (1928)

296) PATHS OF GLORY (1957)

297) PATTON (1970)

298) THE PEARL (1948)

299) PETER PAN (1924)

300) PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)

301) THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940)

302) PINOCCHIO (1940)

303) A PLACE IN THE SUN (1951)

304) PLANET OF THE APES (1968)

305) THE PLOW THAT BROKE THE PLAINS (1936)

306) POINT OF ORDER (1964)

307) THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL (1917)

308) POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS SINDBAD THE SAILOR (1936)

309) PORKY IN WACKYLAND (1938)

310) POWER OF THE PRESS (1928)

311) POWERS OF TEN (1978)

312) PRESIDENT MCKINLEY INAUGURATION FOOTAGE (1901)

313) PRIMARY (1960)

314) PRINCESS NICOTINE; OR THE SMOKE FAIRY (1909)

315) THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937)

316) THE PRODUCERS (1968)

317) PSYCHO (1960)

318) THE PUBLIC ENEMY (1931)

319) PULL MY DAISY (1959)

320) PUNCH DRUNKS (1934)

321) PUPS IS PUPS (OUR GANG) (1930)

322) RAGING BULL (1980)

323) RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981)

324) RAISIN IN THE SUN (1961)

325) REAR WINDOW (1954)

326) REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)

327) RED DUST (1932)

328) RED RIVER (1948)

329) REGENERATION (1915)

330) REMINISCENCES OF A JOURNEY TO LITHUANIA (1971-72)

331) REPUBLIC STEEL STRIKE RIOT NEWSREEL FOOTAGE (1937)

332) RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7 (1980)

333) RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (1962)

334) RIP VAN WINKLE (1896)

335) THE RIVER (1937)

336) ROAD TO MOROCCO (1942)

337) ROCKY (1976)

338) THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975)

339) ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953)

340) ROSE HOBART (1936)

341) SABRINA (1954)

342) SAFETY LAST (1923)

343) SALESMAN (1969)

344) SALOME (1922)

345) SALT OF THE EARTH (1954)

346) SAN FRANCISCO EARTHQUAKE AND FIRE, APRIL 18, 1906 (1906)

347) SCARFACE (1932)

348) SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)

349) THE SEARCHERS (1956)

350) SERENE VELOCITY (1970)

351) SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954)

352) SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927)

353) SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE (1989)

354) SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)

355) SHADOWS (1959)

356) SHAFT (1971)

357) SHANE (1953)

358) SHE DONE HIM WRONG (1933)

359) SHERLOCK, JR. (1924)

360) SHERMAN'S MARCH (1986)

361) SHOCK CORRIDOR (1963)

362) THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940)

363) SHOW BOAT (1936)

364) SHOW PEOPLE (1928)

365) SIEGE (1940)

366) SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

367) SKY HIGH (1922)

368) SNOW WHITE (1933)

369) SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)

370) SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

371) THE SON OF THE SHEIK (1926)

372) THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)

373) ST. LOUIS BLUES (1929)

374) STAGECOACH (1939)

375) STAR IS BORN, A (1954)

376) STAR THEATRE (1901)

377) STAR WARS (1977)

378) STEAMBOAT WILLIE (1928)

379) THE STING (1973)

380) STORMY WEATHER (1943)

381) STRANGER THAN PARADISE (1984)

382) A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951)

383) SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

384) SUNRISE (1927)

385) SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950)

386) SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957)

387) SWING TIME (1936)

388) TABU (1931)

389) TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE COLLAPSE (1940)

390) TALL T, THE (1957)

391) THE T.A.M.I. SHOW (1964)

392) TARZAN AND HIS MATE (1934)

393) TAXI DRIVER (1976)

394) THE TELL-TALE HEART (1953)

395) THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956)

396) TESS OF THE STORM COUNTRY (1914)

397) TEVYE (1939)

398) THERE IT IS (1928)

399) THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924)

400) THE THIN BLUE LINE (1988)

401) THE THIN MAN (1934)

402) THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

403) THINK OF ME FIRST AS A PERSON (1960-75)

404) THIS IS CINERAMA (1952)

405) THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984)

406) THROUGH NAVAJO EYES (SERIES) (1966)

407) A TIME FOR BURNING (1966)

408) A TIME OUT OF WAR (1954)

409) TIN TOY (1988)

410) TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)

411) TO FLY (1976)

412) TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962)

413) TOOTSIE (1982)

414) TOP HAT (1935)

415) TOPAZ (1943-45) (home movie footage taken at Japanese American Internment Camp, the Topaz War Relocation Authority Center)

416) TOUCH OF EVIL (1958)

417) TOY STORY (1995)

418)TRAFFIC IN SOULS (1913)

419) TRANCE AND DANCE IN BALI (1936-39)

420) THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)

421) TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)

422) TULIPS SHALL GROW (1942)

423) TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (1949)

424) 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)

425) UNFORGIVEN (1992)

426) VERBENA TRAGICA (1939)

427) VERTIGO (1958)

428) THE WEDDING MARCH (1928)

429) WEST SIDE STORY (1961)

430) WESTINGHOUSE WORKS, 1904 (1904)

431) WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? (1957)

432) WHERE ARE MY CHILDREN? (1916)

433) WHITE HEAT (1949)

434) WHY MAN CREATES (1968)

435) WHY WE FIGHT (series) (1943-45)

436) WILD AND WOOLY (1917)

437) THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

438) WILD RIVER (1960)

439) WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957)

440) THE WIND (1928)

441) WINGS (1927)

442) WITHIN OUR GATES (1920)

443) THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

444) WOMAN OF THE YEAR (1942)

445) A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE (1974)

446) WOODSTOCK (1970)

447) YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)

448) YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)

449) YOUNG MR. LINCOLN (1939)

450) ZAPRUDER FILM (1963)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings