Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does "Cult Film" mean?

classicsfan1119

Funny ya ask this question classic...I had checked into "cult films" myself awhile back. I, like you, wanted to know what it was that made a movie a "cult" movie.

Here's what I found:

Cult film

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A cult film is a movie that attracts a small but devoted group of obsessive fans or one that has remained popular over successive years amongst a small group of followers. Often the film failed to achieve mainstream success on its original release, but this is not always the case. Sometimes the audience response to a cult film is somewhat different to what was intended by the film-makers, although usually a film that becomes "cult" started-out with unusual elements or subject matter.

A film reaches cult status due to an audience's relationship to the film. This makes the designation of cult status to a film difficult, however continued success amongst a subset of moviegoers many years after the film's original release is a key defining factor.

----------------------------------------------------------

A good site to check out a HUGE list of so called "cult" films is:

http://www.cult-film.com/site_index/

Hope it helps!

~*~ SteLLa ~*~

Classics, I too had wondered about the term. I used to (mistakenly) think it had to be a movie about "the Moonies" or "Jim Jones"! *L*

Stella gives a great definition, and probably the most classic example would be "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". The film is from the early '70s, but still has a cult following today - even had weekly midnight showings here in St. Louis at the old Varsity Theater until just a few years ago. The audience would come dressed as their favorite character, recite dialogue along with the film, dance & sing during the musical numbers, and even bring props (i.e., rice to throw at the wedding scene, etc.)

Thank you Stella and Stigal. I pretty much had it right, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for those links, Stella..I'll check them out. Stigal, I also think of The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as the definitive "cult" movie. I have friends who go to see it and have told me that everyone in the audience is totally involved in the movie, which makes it feel like "live theatre".

I also have thought that the movies of Charlie Chaplin, among others, have found a new following by being shown in theatre's again, which might also put them in the "cult" realm now. And, there are countless others, I'm sure. Thanks for your help.