Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, starliteyes said:

Sounds as though that might be a line from Mister Booze, sung by Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. in Robin and the Seven Hoods.

No, this is a classic song from the American Songbook, which was popular during Prohibition.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

I just happened to hear this just the other day.

Open Thread

Gerald, this is one of the classics of Prohibition era pop music.-- it's on the level of a historical milestone, which defined an era.

But the song is also special to me because it was the breakout number on Broadway in a show called "Follow Thru" which made

Tap Dancer Eleanor Powell a star.

And Thanks for the Ruth Etting audio, since it was a big hit for her.

* This Thread is still open.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2018 at 7:12 PM, Princess of Tap said:

''Listen, Stop and Look!"

On 1/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Song was from a Broadway show that was adapted to a musical film.

Hint#2-- The Broadway show was headlined by Broadway's top female star.

The movie version of the show was headlined by an actress who was to become television's top female star.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:12 PM, Princess of Tap said:

''Listen, Stop and Look!"

On 1/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Song was from a Broadway show that was adapted to a musical film.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:31 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2-- The Broadway show was headlined by Broadway's top female star.

The movie version of the show was headlined by an actress who was to become television's top female star.

Hint#3-- The song was written by one person who was the composer and lyricist.

This was a tough one, Princess.  Following your clues, I figured out that the Broadway star was Ethel Merman and it was Lucille Ball who did the movie version of "Du Barry Was A Lady" with music by Cole Porter.  My problem was which song had your line "Listen, Stop and Look".  It was difficult to find a complete lyric, but I finally did.  The song is "Katie Went To Haiti".  Not every recording contains the line because it comes near the end of the last verse.  It was done in the movie by Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra featuring Jo Stafford and Dick Haymes.  However, I don't think that they got to that line.  Check out this clip:

You should hear it in this recording by Bobby Short:

Again, Princess, this was a tough question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, MilesArcher said:

This was a tough one, Princess.  Following your clues, I figured out that the Broadway star was Ethel Merman and it was Lucille Ball who did the movie version of "Du Barry Was A Lady" with music by Cole Porter.  My problem was which song had your line "Listen, Stop and Look".  It was difficult to find a complete lyric, but I finally did.  The song is "Katie Went To Haiti".  Not every recording contains the line because it comes near the end of the last verse.  It was done in the movie by Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra featuring Jo Stafford and Dick Haymes.  However, I don't think that they got to that line.  Check out this clip:

You should hear it in this recording by Bobby Short:

Again, Princess, this was a tough question.

Miles, this Bobby Short fan appreciates your perseverance.

I would also refer you to a book of my youth called " Cole " by Brendan Gill.

This is a beautifully Illustrated coffee table book that tells the life story and career of Cole Porter along with the various artists who performed his work on Broadway and in Hollywood. They particularly have the  lyrics to all of his significant songs from his shows.

As a tap dancer I had to study Fred Astaire's records to learn that music and then I had to study Bobby Short's Cole Porter and Gershwin records to learn more songs. There were no VHS DVD s or YouTube in those days. LOL

I think Bobby Short is in the Woody Allen movie "Hannah and Her Sisters". He was a true treasure to the Great American Popular Songbook.

And Miles, you are a treasure to care enough to look that up.

" Listen, Stop and Look"-- Miles is up next!

On 1/11/2019 at 1:10 AM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Hopefully, this next one won't be too difficult.

This one is for all you tap dance fans.

I've got those

ten little tappin' toes
And when they hear a tune 

I can't control

the dancing, dear

to save my soul

Here's a hint:  Very early Bing Crosby with the Rhythm Boys.

I thought I knew it after the third clue, but I looked up the lyrics and didn't see the line "Her face is a dream, like an angel I saw".  Apparently, I wasn't looking at the complete lyrics,  I should have gone right to the video clip.  The song is "The Donkey Serenade".  It was sung by Allan Jones to Jeanette MacDonald in "The Firefly" and it became his signature song.  He had appeared with Jeanette in "Rose Marie" in a supporting role as an opera singer.  The male star of that movie, and many others with Jeanette, was Nelson Eddy.  Here is the clip.  The line is about three minutes and forty seconds in.

• Like 1