Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/13/2019 at 10:15 PM, Princess of Tap said:

" Isn't This Better"

This is a Kander and Ebb song from Barbra Streisand's "Funny Lady", a sequel to "Funny Girl".

Yes!

When Barbra Streisand was awarded the Film Society of Lincoln Center's Chaplin award in 2013, Liza Minnelli sang "Isn't This Better" as part of the tribute. (It's not surprising that Liza chose to sing a song by composer John Kander and lyricist Fred Ebb.) Streisand claims that she was not aware of the connection between herself and the song until Liza explained that Barbra had sung it in the movie Funny Lady. Streisand later included the song as part of the set list in her concert tour  Barbra: The Music ...The Mem'ries ...The Magic in 2016 and 2017. The Miami performance was recorded for Netflix, and a live album was recorded during the tour.

Good job, Princess of Tap! I'm glad you were able to get this one without any hints.

Here's the recording of the song from the 2016/2017 concert:

And here's the recording of the song from the Funny Lady soundtrack album:

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Yes!

When Barbra Streisand was awarded the Film Society of Lincoln Center's Chaplin award in 2013, Liza Minnelli sang "Isn't This Better" as part of the tribute. Streisand claims that she was not aware of the connection between herself and the song until Liza explained that  Barbra had song in the movie Funny Lady. Streisand later included the song as part of the set list in her concert tour  Barbra: The Music ...The Mem'ries ...The Magic in 2016 and 2017. The Miami performance was recorded for Netflix and a live album recorded during the tour.

Good job, Princess of Tap! I'm glad you were able to get this one without any hints.

Here's the recording of the song from the 2016/2017 concert:

And here's the recording of the song from the Funny Lady soundtrack album:

Bagel-- I was a fan of Barbra Streisand's before she even was in "Funny Girl".

You have excellent taste in music and your questions have  certainly been an asset to this thread.

I shall return with another question.

Meanwhile let's listen to Barbra.

3 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

"Love, Look Away" from Flower Drum Song with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and music by Richard Rodgers.

In the 20th Century Fox production of "The Flower Drum Song" , "Love, Look Away" was dubbed by Opera Legend Marilyn Horne.

Bagel, thanks for the video, your turn.....

On 6/18/2019 at 10:28 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

"Breaks a new heart every day . . ."

This sounds like "He's A Tramp" from "Lady and the Tramp", written by Peggy Lee and Sonny Burke.

I had a Disney picture book of the movie when I was a preschooler.

"The Siamese Cat Song" was my favorite song from the movie.

Yes!

Good job, Princess of Tap. You've correctly identified the song, the movie and the songwriters with no hints. It's your turn.

Peggy Lee and Sonny Burke also wrote the music and lyrics for "The Siamese Cat Song" and Peggy Lee provided the voices for the two cats who sing the song as well as the voice of Peg, who sings "He's A Tramp" in the movie.

Here's a clip from a Disney promotional film about the making of Lady & The Tramp that features what's presented as the recording of "He's A Tramp." Yes, it's most likely a staged recreation lip synced to the soundtrack, but it's fun to watch.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

That lyric would be from Never Gonna Dance, sung by Fred Astaire in Swing Time.  The music is by Jerome Kern with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. 

Yes, and those are some very clever lyrics by Dorothy Fields featuring the Marx Brothers and such.

I'm glad that I have a chance to talk with you at this time. The news on my tablet is full of stuff about Judy because it's the 50th anniversary of her death. I saw one story that said something in the neighborhood of we've been without Judy for 50 years.

I know and you know that in the last 50 years not a day has gone by that we haven't thought about Judy, played one of her songs or watched one of her movies or television appearances. As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure you will agree with me, Judy could never really leave us.

Star-- It's all yours.....

I couldn't agree with you more, Princess.  Judy will always be with us.  Of course there's a lot more to her than The Wizard of Oz, but, because of that picture alone, new generations continue to discover her and her legacy lives on.

And now for the next "brief lyric":

I walk around like Noah's ark

"Animal Crackers In My Soup" from Curly Top, with lyrics by Ted Koehler and Irving Caesar and music by Ray Henderson. In the movie it was sung by Shirley Temple.

The song was part of the medley sung by Barbra Streisand during the second act of her second television special Color Me Barbra. (The quoted lyric was not part of the song sung by Streisand.)

• Like 1
On 7/2/2019 at 11:40 PM, MilesArcher said:

It's "Le Jazz Hot" from "Victor/Victoria", with music by Henry Mancini and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse.  It was sung by Julie Andrews.  Of course, the movie was directed by her husband, Blake Edwards.

Yes!

Victor/Victoria is one of my favorite movies, and "Le Jazz Hot" is the most well-known song from the movie.

Good job, MilesArcher. It's your turn.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Bagel.  Now, this next one should be pretty easy.

"My bones denounce the buckboard bounce" 

I was waiting for somebody else to answer this one , oh, it's a song we used to use in tap class.

Dinah Shore had a big hit with this before my time. LOL Far as I know the only one she ever had.

"Buttons and Bows" was a song from the Bob Hope movie "The Pale Face". It was written by Livingston and Evans.

(BTW-- The recording I used was by Bing Crosby.)

Yes, Princess.  It was sung by Bob Hope in "The Paleface", but it was also done by Bob, Roy Rogers, and Jane Russell in "Son Of Paleface".  Oh yes, it was also performed by the songwriters, Livingston and Evans, in "Sunset Boulevard".    For this clip, we have two performances. 

Nice work, Princess.  It's your thread now.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

That's from one of my favorite numbers in Yankee Doodle Dandy.  The song is Off the Record, which was originally from the Rodgers & Hart show I'd Rather Be Right.  Here's James Cagney to perform it for you:

An Excellent response from a lady with Excellent taste-- and thank you for the clip!

Star, Larry Hart is my favorite lyricist and in reviewing this number, I took a look at all the original lyrics for the Broadway show. If you haven't seen them yet, you got to take a look: you're in for a real treat.

Star, Now it's time for you to Bewitch, Bother and Bewilder us with your next question.....

• Like 1