Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, starliteyes said:

The Song Is You with words and music by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein.  It was originally written for the show Music in the Air.  As for the film version, it is only heard during the opening credits.

Yes, and Jerome Kern wrote such beautiful melodies.

Star, it's your turn.....

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Musical is an operetta.

" Wanting You"--" New Moon", Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy( Romberg and Hammerstein)

Star-- I immediately recognized the lyrics but it took me a while to place it.

One of their most beautiful numbers, surprisingly not that well remembered.

Thank you for remembering.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, shutoo said:

"and hear the whistle echoing across the hill"....On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe from The Harvey Girls

Yes, that Johnny Mercer was a genius long before "Moon River". LOL  He wrote that one with the legendary Harry Warren.

Shutoo-- That's a great start, please continue.....

On 11/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, starliteyes said:

There Once Was a Man from The Pajama Game, sung by John Raitt and Doris Day:

That's it!  I don't know why that song was in my head...I haven't seen the film in years (unfortunately, it's rarely included when tcm has Doris Day days).

Your thread, Starliteyes!

• Thanks 1

As far as I know, the song was written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  I’m not sure exactly what the controversy is that you are alluding to, Bagel.  There’s the story that Hugh Martin himself tells about Judy Garland not wanting to sing the song as originally written, finding it much too depressing.  I believe the lyric was “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, it may be your last.”  (I must say that I would agree with her.)  Hugh refused to change the lyrics until Tom Drake took him aside and had a talk with him.

Also, I don’t know where I heard it or read it, but most of the songs supposedly written by Martin and Blane were actually only written by one or the other of them, even though they both took credit.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2019 at 7:48 PM, starliteyes said:

As far as I know, the song was written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.  I’m not sure exactly what the controversy is that you are alluding to, Bagel.  There’s the story that Hugh Martin himself tells about Judy Garland not wanting to sing the song as originally written, finding it much too depressing.  I believe the lyric was “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, it may be your last.”  (I must say that I would agree with her.)  Hugh refused to change the lyrics until Tom Drake took him aside and had a talk with him.

Also, I don’t know where I heard it or read it, but most of the songs supposedly written by Martin and Blane were actually only written by one or the other of them, even though they both took credit.

Yes!

Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane are credited as writing the lyrics and music for "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," "The Boy Next Door" and "The Trolley Song" from Meet Me In St. Louis. Both men received an Oscar nomination for "The Trolley Song."  However, Hugh Martin in his 2010 autobiography (titled The Boy Next Door) said that he wrote both the lyrics and music himself for all three songs with no help from Ralph Blane, who had died in 1995.

That's the controversy I was referring to.

Great job as usual, starliteyes.

PS. As you know, the lyric "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow" was replaced with "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough" in the version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" that became a popular holiday song. Judy Garland sang the "highest bough" lyric on The Judy Garland Christmas Show that aired on CBS in 1963.

• Like 1