Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 11/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, starliteyes said:

Although the female star sang two songs, the film wasn't a musical.  It was re-made almost 2 decades later and was directed by the same director.  The re-make also featured a couple of songs, only this time the female star was dubbed.

This clue gave me the names of the movies and the actresses--

" Sing, My Heart "-- it's a song by Arlen and Koehler from An Affair to Remember/ Love Affair

Leo McCary directed both and Irene Dunne sang for herself  in "Love Affaire", while Marni Nixon dubbs for Deborah Kerr in "An Affair To Remember".

Star-- That was a bloody good question!

22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This clue gave me the names of the movies and the actresses--

" Sing, My Heart "-- it's a song by Arlen and Koehler from An Affair to Remember/ Love Affair

Leo McCary directed both and Irene Dunne sang for herself  in "Love Affaire", while Marni Nixon dubbs for Deborah Kerr in "An Affair To Remember".

Star-- That was a bloody good question!

Glad you liked it, Princess, and that was a bloody good answer!  

Just to be clear, though, Sing, My Heart wasn't heard in the remake of Love Affair, nor was Wishing, the Oscar nominated song.  Several new songs were written for An Affair to Remember, all composed by Harry Warren.

Well, looks as though you're up next, Princess!

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

"You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby" with lyrics by Johnny Mercer and music by Harry Warren from the movie Hard To Get. In the movie Dick Powell sang the song to Olivia de Havilland in a row boat.

The song is also used in a few Merrie Melodies cartoons.

Well done, Bagel.

I got to see that movie on TCM a couple years ago. Despite the nice casting, the song is the best thing in the movie.

Bagel, your turn.....

The song is "Rainbow Connection".  It was sung by Kermit the Frog in "The Muppet Movie".  It was written by Kenny Ascher and Paul Williams.  Paul Williams had won an Oscar for the song "Evergreen" from "A Star Is Born" with Barbra Streisand a few years earlier.  

Here is Kermie:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!

Both "Something Good" and "I Have Confidence" were written for the movie; neither song was part of the original stage production of The Sound Of Music.  Oscar Hammerstein II had already died by the time the movie went into production so Richard Rodgers wrote both the lyrics and music for those two songs.

Great job, Princess of Tap. It's your turn.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Let's Face the Music and Dance by Irving Berlin from Follow the Fleet.  The song is sung by Fred Astaire and then danced to by him and Ginger Rogers.

Yes, Star-- A beautiful song and a beautiful dance that is often lost in the Astaire -Rogers filmdom.

You're up--

• Thanks 1

Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth starred in two movies in consecutive years.  In 1941 they were in "You'll Never Get Rich", and in 1942 they starred in " You Were Never Lovelier".  "You'll Never Get Rich" featured music by Cole Porter.  Fred had appeared on Broadway in a Porter show called "The Gay Divorce" and he had starred in the movie "Broadway Melody Of 1940" which featured Porter music.  The song in question here is called "The Wedding Cake Walk" from "You'll Never Get Rich".  It was sung in the movie by Liltin' Martha Tilton, who had been a big band singer with Benny Goodman in the late 1930's before embarking on a solo career in the forties.   

Here is a hard to find clip:

• Like 1

Completely right, Miles, and may I add that the reference to the famous  song Fred introduced in The Gay Divorce had to do with the fact that the The Wedding Cake Walk not only ends with the words "night and day," but also with the same the three notes that begin Night and Day.

• Like 1