Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth starred in two movies in consecutive years.  In 1941 they were in "You'll Never Get Rich", and in 1942 they starred in " You Were Never Lovelier".  "You'll Never Get Rich" featured music by Cole Porter.  Fred had appeared on Broadway in a Porter show called "The Gay Divorce" and he had starred in the movie "Broadway Melody Of 1940" which featured Porter music.  The song in question here is called "The Wedding Cake Walk" from "You'll Never Get Rich".  It was sung in the movie by Liltin' Martha Tilton, who had been a big band singer with Benny Goodman in the late 1930's before embarking on a solo career in the forties.   

Here is a hard to find clip:

15 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Completely right, Miles, and may I add that the reference to the famous  song Fred introduced in The Gay Divorce had to do with the fact that the The Wedding Cake Walk not only ends with the words "night and day," but also with the same the three notes that begin Night and Day.

Miles,

Star says "You are the one"--

Your turn.....

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

This one shouldn't be too difficult.

Strings of streetlights
Even stop lights

Blink a bright red and green   

Merry Christmas Everyone! 

Silver snowy bells with red ribbon

" Merry Christmas "

"Happy Holidays-- While the merry bells keep ringing happy holidays to you." Irving Berlin

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

This one shouldn't be too difficult.

Strings of streetlights
Even stop lights

Blink a bright red and green

Miles, this sounds like "Silver Bells"--

" It's Christmas time in the city."

A nice song by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston.

(Although it didn't make the cut for Andy's first Christmas album, It's on his second one.)

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- It's a standard recorded by all the greats.

Well, if the complete lyric is "I could be a king, dear, uncrowned," then the song is If I Had You, written by Ted Shapiro, Jimmy Campbell and Reginald Connelly, and featured in You Were Meant for Me.

Then again, I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Well, if the complete lyric is "I could be a king, dear, uncrowned," then the song is If I Had You, written by Ted Shapiro, Jimmy Campbell and Reginald Connelly, and featured in You Were Meant for Me.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Star-- I happened upon a recording of "If I Had You" by Judy Garland on YouTube. If you haven't heard this you simply must check it out, it's so beautiful.

It's a song that everyone has heard, but I don't think it gets enough recognition.

I heard it in the Woody Allen movie "Everyone says I love you"-- It was sung by Tim Roth who cannot sing, yet it still sounded so lovely.

There's so much beautiful American music that has been written, it's a shame that our media is so plastered with computerized/ digital garbage-- passing for music.

Star, that was well done, and now it's your turn to unearth another American classic song.

• Like 1

Princess, I think I have just about everything Judy ever recorded.  Are you aware of the fact that If I Had You is played as background music in The Clock?  I always found it interesting that, while she didn't sing in that film, she still managed to get a song out of it.   She recorded it in 1945 while she was on her honeymoon in New York with Vincente Minnelli. 

Next:  

You're right beside my heart

• Thanks 1
On 12/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, starliteyes said:

Princess, I think I have just about everything Judy ever recorded.  Are you aware of the fact that If I Had You is played as background music in The Clock?  I always found it interesting that, while she didn't sing in that film, she still managed to get a song out of it.   She recorded it in 1945 while she was on her honeymoon in New York with Vincente Minnelli. 

Next:  

Can you give us a hint?

The female star of the film, who sang the song in question, would make only two more films - a guest appearance in one and a straight dramatic role in the other - before walking out on her contract with the studio.  It would be many years before she made another film.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, starliteyes said:

Next:  

" A Journey To A Star " sung by Alice Faye from the Busby Berkeley extravaganza: The Gang's All Here.

I was lucky to get to see this movie in a revival theater in Chicago. The way you were meant to see it with all of that gaudy 20th Century Fox color jumping out of you oh, that only works on the big screen.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

All clues point to "All about Love", sung by Eddie Fisher in "Bundle Of Joy".  It was written by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon.  Here it is:

Miles, great job and thanks for the video. I've got the "Bundle of Joy" CD. " All About Love " is a terrific song and Eddie really puts it over in this movie.

Miles, Happy New Year!

We Eddie Fisher fans "Gotta  Have Heart". For us it's always "Coke Time". LOL