Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The clues have been up long enough.  The song is "Sunday, Monday, Or Always".  It was written by Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen for the 1943 movie "Dixie".  Bing Crosby sang it to Marjorie Reynolds and it became a big hit for Bing.  Here is a clip:

At this point it's customary to leave the thread open, but I'm going to stray from that custom and post more lyrics.  Do you know this one? It's from a 1930's musical film.

Hear them whispering,

"Hasn't she got everything?"

19 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That's correct, Starlit.  Strangely, the song was not featured in Shirley's movie called "Baby Take A Bow".

The same thing happened with Judy Garland, Miles.  She sang Everybody Sing in Broadway Melody of 1938, but not in Everybody Sing.  

Next:

I don't have a lot

I don't need a lot

Coffee's only a dime

The song is "Livin' In The Sunlight, Lovin" In The Moonlight" from the 1930 movie "The Big Pond".  It was written by  Al Sherman and Al Lewis and sung by Maurice Chevalier.  The movie also starred Claudette Colbert.  Here is Maurice Chevalier's recording:

Songwriter Al Sherman was the father of songwriters Robert and Richard Sherman, who enjoyed great success writing songs for Walt Disney, including the songs for "Mary Poppins".

"Livin' In The Sunlight, Lovin' In The Moonlight" was revived by Tiny Tim in the late sixties.  Here is his version:

He certainly was unique, wasn't he?

Referring to Tiny Tim, yes, he certainly was.  I actually got his autograph many years ago when he made an appearance at the college I wa attending.  What became of it I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for such a complete answer, Miles.  The thread is now yours.

I have to say this is one of the few times I don't know this from The Late Show oh, I know this from Primetime TV watching all those Bob Hope specials on NBC.

Paramount's two top music composers Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger wrote "Thanks for the Memory"  for "The Big Broadcast of 1938". It was sung by Hope and Shirley Ross.

Hope rarely did something sentimental and I rarely, if ever, say something good about his performances,  but this number was a beautiful sequence in that movie.

26 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  Now here is one you may know:

We said goodbye with a highball,

Then I got as high as a steeple

That's from an old English music hall song called "Burlington Bertie From Bow".  It was written by William Hargreaves around 1900 and traditionally is performed by a woman dressed as a man.   It was performed by Julie Andrews in the 1968 movie "Star" as you will see in this clip:

Did you know that it was also performed by Betty Grable many years earlier in the movie "Mother Wore Tights"?  Here she is:

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

That's from an old English music hall song called "Burlington Bertie From Bow".  It was written by William Hargreaves around 1900 and traditionally is performed by a woman dressed as a man.   It was performed by Julie Andrews in the 1968 movie "Star" as you will see in this clip:

Did you know that it was also performed by Betty Grable many years earlier in the movie "Mother Wore Tights"?  Here she is:

In the movie "Star"Julie Andrews is portraying the Great musical comedy star Gertrude Lawrence, who was the original Anna in "The King and I".

Gertrude was a star on Broadway and in the West End in London.

Miles, you're always right and thorough as usual.

And so you're back in the saddle again-- your turn.....

• 2 weeks later...