Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Song was sung in the film first in an operatic style by a supporting actress/singer and then later reprised by the star of the film, a legendary actress/singer, who sang it straight first and then did it comically.

The song is "When I Look At You" from the movie "Presenting Lily Mars".  It was written by Walter Jurmann and Paul Francis Webster.  It was sung in operatic style by Marta Eggerth, a Hungarian born soprano known as the "Callas Of Operetta".  Judy Garland does the straight version with the Bob Crosby Orchestra as you will see in this clip:

Later, Judy does the comedic version (Caro Nome), and apparently Marta was not amused.

Thanks, Starlit.  I didn't need your last clue.  When I saw the clue about it being from a 1943 MGM musical, I immediately thought of "Presenting Lily Mars".

Now, here's one that should be familiar.  Do you know what movie it was from?

She was truckin' on down the avenue
Without a single thing to do 

Ella Fitzgerald sang A-Tisket, A-Tasket, written by her and Van Alexander, in her screen debut in Ride 'Em Cowboy (1942).  The song wasn't written expressly for the movie, however, since Ella had recorded it back in 1938. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bgFkeDLpSI

That is correct, Star.  Many of Abbott and Costello's early movies also showcased popular musical performers of the day.   A singing group called The Merry Macs as well as cowboy star Dick Foran also sang in the film. 

Nice work, Star.  Now you're up again. 

• Thanks 1

The song is "It's You Or No One" which was written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Stein for the 1948 movie "Romance On The High Seas", which was Doris Day's first film.  In the movie Doris does what so many of us wish we could do, she walks up to a band in a club and asks to sing a song with them.  You'll see that in this clip:

Later, she does a slower version, as you will see in this next clip:

Isn't it strange how different a song can be with just a tempo change? 

Do you know this one?

I thought I was happy, I could live without love,

Now I must admit, love is all I'm thinking of

You may recognize it as a big band song, but it was sung in a forties comedy by a woman who was a band singer at the time.  She later sang on Broadway and years later had a recurring role on a popular TV sitcom.

Yes, yes, yes.  Carol Bruce was a band singer with Larry Clinton's orchestra before becoming a movie actress in the early 1940's.  "I'm  Getting Sentimental Over You" was done in a nightclub setting in the movie.  After a rather short movie career, Carol worked on Broadway.  She played the role of Julie Laverne in the 1946 revival of "Show Boat".  She did sporadic TV work in the fifties and sixties until she landed the role of station owner Mama Carlson on "WKRP In Cincinnati".

Carol Bruce - Wikipedia 

Carol Bruce in "Keep "Em Flying"

Carol Bruce (1919-2007) - Find A Grave Memorial 

Carol Bruce as Mama Carlson

I couldn't find a video of the song from the movie, but I did find this recording by Ella Fitzgerald:

Of course, it was Tommy Dorsey's theme song.  Nice work, Starlit.  The thread is all yours now.

• Like 1

Starliteyes, if you had asked me if I knew the name of the song, I would have to answer "Oh, But I Do".  This very pretty song was written by Leo Robin and Arthur Schwartz for the 1946 Warner Bros. film "The Time, The Place, And The Girl".  It was sung in the film by Dennis Morgan.  I couldn't find a recording by Dennis, but I did find this recording by another Warner's star, Doris Day.

• Like 1

That's correct, Starlit.  James Stewart and a dubbed Eleanor Powell  (that's Ellie as The Princess Of Tap calls her) sang the song in a park.  Check out this clip:

Nice work, Star.  You're up next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1