Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ironically, Jack Buchanan introduced this song on Broadway.

But you and I both know only one person really knew how to sing it.😆

I Think It's Judy's best singing performance in the movies!

Star, Now it all depends on you.....

• Like 1

It's called "Ragtime Violin".  It was written by Irving Berlin and performed by Fred Astaire and Judy Garland in "Easter Parade", which was shown recently on TCM.  Here is a short clip:

• Like 1

The song is "My Shining Hour".  It was written by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for "The Sky's The Limit", and sung by a dubbed Joan Leslie.  Here it is:

I wonder if they got the idea for those neon lighted instruments from Busby Berkeley. 

Later, Joan and Fred Astaire do a short version with different lyrics.

• Like 2

The song is It's Only a Paper Moon with music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg and Billy Rose.   It was originally written for a 1932 Broadway show called The Great Magoo that flopped.  A year later it made its movie debut in Take a Chance, where it was sung by June Knight and Charles "Buddy" Rogers.

That is correct, Starlit.    Of course, the song was heard as background music in the movie "Paper Moon", but few people knew where it was first heard.  We all remember June Knight from "Broadway Melody Of 1936" and Buddy Rogers from "Wings".  He was also a singer and bandleader who married Mary Pickford.  She was still married to Douglas Fairbanks at the time this clip was filmed.  It seems that perhaps Buddy was doing a Douglas Fairbanks imitation in it.  Check it out:

Nice going, Starlit.  You're up next.

That's from a very familiar song.  It's "Aren't You Glad You're You?".  It was written by Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen for the 1945 film "The Bells Of St. Mary's" and sung by Bing Crosby to young Joan Carroll.  It's one of those "words to live by" songs.  Check out this clip:

And when you wake up each morn,
Aren't you glad that you were born?
Think what you've got the whole day through,
Aren't you glad you're you? 

But I'm certain, Honey

That life could be sunny,

With plenty of money and you.

Yes, Starlit.  This movie was from 1937 and Dick Powell and Joan Blondell had married each other the year before.  Apparently life wasn't always sunny because they divorced after eight years of marriage.

Good work and thanks for the clip, Starlit.    As I seem to always be saying, you get the thread.

• Thanks 1

The song is "I'm Gonna Ring The Bell Tonight" from "April In Paris".  It was written by Vernon Duke and Sammy Cahn and it was performed by Doris Day and Ray Bolger in the world's most spacious, and cleanest, kitchen.  Here is Doris with the song:

Then Ray Bolger joins in in this clip:

• Like 1