Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks.  Maybe we can get Princess and others to play if we feature more dancing, like this next one:

So long, gal of mine

If some old hand tries to hand you some new line

Though my horse knows what to do

I must still depend on you

To whoa, whoa, giddy up, whoa,

Giddy up, giddy up, whoa

It's from a forties musical that featured a well known big band of the day, as well as a top comic actor.

Here's another clue or two.  The dancer in this movie could probably be referred to as "The Queen Of Tap".  The comic actor was known for his red hair, although the movie is in black and white.  

I can't say that I actually knew the title of the song, but I did have some ideas of where to look and your last hint really helped, Miles.  The song's title is So Long, Sarah Jane, with music by Sammy Fain and lyrics by Lew Brown and Ralph Freed.  It was sung by Bob Eberly and, even more memorably, danced to by Eleanor Powell in I Dood It, co-starring Red Skelton and featuring the Jimmy Dorsey and His Orchestra.

• Like 1

Good work.  You are correct, Starlit.  Thanks for posting that clip.  I believe that our poster, The Princess Of Tap,  was influenced by watching Eleanor Powell and she would often do a lariat dance around the plains of Kansas.  Maybe we'll hear from Princess about that.  In the meantime, it's your thread, Starlit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Good work.  You are correct, Starlit.  Thanks for posting that clip.  I believe that our poster, The Princess Of Tap,  was influenced by watching Eleanor Powell and she would often do a lariat dance around the plains of Kansas.  Maybe we'll hear from Princess about that.  In the meantime, it's your thread, *Starlit.  

Miles, the only lariat dance I ever saw was on Roy Rogers on TV. Or it may have been on my Roy Rogers View-Master. Did you have one of those?

*Star--We're still holding the curtain for you on this thread

Well, it took a while to find this one.  I figured the composers were Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer and the movie had to be "The Petty Girl", but I couldn't find a list of lyrics for the songs.  I also assumed that the male star, Robert Cummings, was involved in the song.  I finally found the video of the song "Fancy Free" with Joan Caulfield (dubbed by Carol Richards) singing.  Here it is:

• Like 1

So glad you got it, Miles, because I was running out of clues.  While none of the songs in this movie were all that memorable, I always kind of liked Fancy Free, in my opinion the best of the lot. 

And now, back to you once again!

Starliteyes, some of your songs are getting tougher and tougher, but no complaints from me.  Here's one that's not from a musical.  In fact, it's probably the only song that's sung in a well known film noir that has been shown on TCM's Noir Alley.

Your eyes of blue, your kisses too 

I never knew what they could do 

The song was actually written in the 1920's and was recorded by several artists.  It was featured in a nightclub scene in the 1940's noir.

You are correct, Desilufan.  The movie is "Detour" from 1945.  The song was written by Jimmy McHugh and Clarence Gaskill in 1926 and it has become a standard over the years.  It was sung in the movie by an actress named Claudia Drake.  Here she is:

Nice work, Desilufan.  Now it's your turn to post the next one.

• Like 2

The song is called "Bang! Bang!".  It was written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen for the movie "Robin And The 7 Hoods", and it was performed by Sammy Davis Jr.  It  is a favorite of our poster, The Princess Of Tap.  Here it is:

I'll bet the prop department was praying that Sammy would get it done in one take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

The song is called "Bang! Bang!".  It was written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen for the movie "Robin And The 7 Hoods", and it was performed by Sammy Davis Jr.  It  is a favorite of our poster, The Princess Of Tap.  Here it is:

I'll bet the prop department was praying that Sammy would get it done in one take.

Miles, many thanks for remembering.😍

9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That's it! It's honestly a favorite of mine too.. your turn @MilesArcher :)

The following words are not from a certain former President, but are indeed from a well known song.

Old man sunshine, listen you
Never tell me dreams come true
Just try it, and I'll start a riot 

Can you name it, as well as the composers, singer and movie?  

9 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The following words are not from a certain former President, but are indeed from a well known song.

Old man sunshine, listen you
Never tell me dreams come true
Just try it, and I'll start a riot 

Can you name it, as well as the composers, singer and movie?  

George and Ira Gershwin wrote "But Not For Me"  for the musical "Girl Crazy".

Judy Garland sang it in the movie adaptation.