Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I think we're back on track with Judy and Fred.

Star, It's all yours.....

26 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

It's So Near and Yet So Far, written by Cole Porter for You"ll Never Get Rich, sung by Fred Astaire and danced by him and Rita Hayworth.  Here they are for your viewing pleasure:

• Thanks 1

The song is "Now It Can Be Told", which was written by Irving Berlin and was featured in the 1938 film "Alexander's Ragtime Band".  The song was sung by Alice Faye while Tyrone Power conducted the orchestra.  Here it is:

That's Don Ameche at the piano without his trademark mustache.   

• Like 1

Everything you have stated is correct, Miles.  In addition to the its nomination for Best Song,  Alexander's Ragtime Band was nominated for 5 other Oscars, including Best Picture.  It did win one Oscar for Best Music, Scoring.

And now back to you, Miles.  

After I had already posted my answer, I remembered that Fred Astaire also sang it and sang it first, as a matter of fact. 

Let's see if you - or anyone else who cares to play - recognize these lyrics:

Dancing and dining and shining with originality

I was pretty sure of this one when I first saw the post, Starlit.  The key word is "originality" which rhymes with personality and vitality, and that's what put me on the right track.  The song is "The Lady In Red", which was written by Allie Wrubel and Mort Dixon for the 1935 film "In Caliente". Most of it was sung by Winifred "Wini" Shaw , who was used by Warner Bros. as a singer in production numbers in several musicals.  You may recall her in the "Lullaby Of Broadway" number in "Gold Diggers Of 1935".   Also singing in this movie was country star Judy Canova, who was breaking into movies with her family about that time.  The production number was staged by Busby Berkeley and featured dancing by the Demarcos.  Here is an extended clip:

You will see stars Pat O'Brien and Dolores Del Rio as well as funny man Edward Everett Horton.  

• Like 1

Star, I waited to see if someone else would jump in, but no one did.  Now, here is one that should be familiar:

In The Winter, Let Me Bring The Spring To You,

Let Me Feel That I Mean Ev'rything To You; 

Sometimes it just takes a certain clue to steer me in the right direction.  The song is "Calabash Pipe", written by Harold Arlen and Lew Brown for the 1935 film "Strike Me Pink".  It was sung by Eddie Cantor and Ethel Merman.  Here is a clip:

Thanks.  Now here is another oldie:

Your lips are red as wine,

Your lips I can't resist!

And once they're pressed to mine,

I wanna be kissed and kissed!

This is from a movie that was shown on TCM quite recently.

The songwriters were well known for writing songs for Marx Brothers movies, but this movie did not feature the brothers.  The songwriters were also the subject of a movie biopic. 

This movie was made in the 1930's.  It featured a comedy team that was well known at the time.  The team is not the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Burns and Allen, the Ritz Brothers, or Hope and Crosby.  Gee, who's left? 

The song is Keep on Doin' what You're Doin', words by Harry Ruby and lyrics by Bert Kalmar.  It was sung by Bert Keeler, Dorothy Wilson, Robert Woolsey and Thelma Todd in Hips, Hips, Hooray!  I was going to include a clip, but I'm having some trouble with my computer.